how to delete photos (attachments)

Hi there,

I store all my forum photos at my account at this forum and sadly it is 92% full.

So I have to delete older photos but cannot find the button? Can anyone guide me, please?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

That is a question I would like answered too.

I fear you have to access the individual posts and delete the attached files singularly. -

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Marco,

as Peter says - you need to delete them from the actual post.

Click on your name = top right.

Click on - my attachments.

Scroll down to any pic you wish to remove.

Click on the thread/post title

Click edit on the post.

Click the 'TRash' can of each pic.

Click save.

Bingo

5 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I think I should use less photos.

No Marco, just use a lower resolution. Photos on here don't need to be any bigger than 100k, if that.  

That's a great shame because it means much of the point of the old threads will be lost. We already have lots of blank spaces on many from when Photobucket stopped working. I wonder whether more space could be provided for the really useful posts like your photos? After all that is only a total of about 42 Mb which is really very little these days. 

The forum has limited storage. Better to use a cloud based service that doesnt have storage limits and doesnt mess with your picture resolution. The forum software makes it very easy to display cloud-hosted images and video in-line with your forum posts.

Stan 

Yes Stan people used to do that with Photobucket as I said. The result is loads of blank spaces where the photos used to be. 

Cloud storage is not really reliable long-term. 

1 hour ago, RobH said:

That's a great shame because it means much of the point of the old threads will be lost.

I wholly concur.  It's a great resource to be able to search through topics / questions / answers that have been discussed at length before, and so it would be a terrible waste to discard their referenced photos or illustrations.  Very likely, one day, another generation of TR owners will look back upon our posts and the 'period photos' as part of the club's long and fruitful history ..in much the same way as very early club publications presently are 'valued' and very interesting. (even I have a modest collect of TR Action magazines from 20 - 25 years ago). 

And when a person makes the effort to minimize the size of every photo they post ..and also uses his or her allocated storage capacity to help others, then possibly an inactive member's barely touched space might be reallocated to cover the active member ..or do things not work that way ?

Conversely,  perhaps it would be acceptable and possible, for Marco to register afresh with a new profile ..and therefore a new capacity for his photos ?   ..and might he not choose a user name that is familiar and offers some sort of continuity ..such as Z320i  (rather than his present Z320). 

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Pete.

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Yes Stan people used to do that with Photobucket as I said. The result is loads of blank spaces where the photos used to be. 

Cloud storage is not really reliable long-term. 

Photobucket shot themselves in the foot and I guess regretted it as they eventually backed off but not soon enough as I migrated everything to smugmug who promises never to hold your pictures for ransom. For me the cloud solutions are just a means for publishing, I have everything triple backed up locally and to a cloud backup service (backblaze).

Stan

Hi,

I realize the register forum is more a daily chat room than a accurate organized library of knowledge.

So it doesn't matter to delete photos older than for example 3 years?

I see the photos best stored at the forum, I tried Google photos but this did not work like I want.

If my limitation for about 48.83 MB is a standard setting - I perhaps could get more on request?

Who do I have to ask?

Ciao, Marco

I suggest that the question be addressed to the Chairman (Allan Westbury) and Wayne, who administers the platform provided by the Forum.

As the Moderators will be reading this, perhaps they, too, could ask about this.

It would be a great shame to see such useful information flushed away when storage is so inexpensive nowadays.  Recently, I bought a couple of 128GB memory sticks to transfer data from my ancient PC to a more modern one.  The sticks were inexpensive, but so small that the labels I attached were larger than the sticks themselves.  I could have bought larger than 128GB for not a great deal more.

Ian Cornish

Think these are reasonable points made.

Of course the other side is that this Forum needs to be paid for, and is by the membership, how ever insignificant the next tiny addition costs,

the total will not be insignificant.

John.

Another forum I use has an unlimited-size Archive area, and posts that are considered useful can be moved into that archive by moderators or admin. All others are limited in size and deleted after 2(?) years.

Pete

12 hours ago, Z320 said:

Currently I have 606 attachments with an average of 70 kB,

the number of photos is the "problem"

That is most abstemious, Z320!     Just looked at mine - I have 368 pics, but I can't see how much memory that takes up.    Certainly, some pics are alot bigger than 70kB, in fact I'd guess they average about 300kB, which would total over 100Mb.   How do you discover how much of your allowance you have used up?

You can sort the attachments by size (follow Rogers instructions above), and then only delete the larger ones. I know, not a solution but just a fix to be able to post some new piccies.

Thanks John for following up on this on behalf of us.

Waldi

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

That is most abstemious, Z320!     Just looked at mine - I have 368 pics, but I can't see how much memory that takes up.    Certainly, some pics are alot bigger than 70kB, in fact I'd guess they average about 300kB, which would total over 100Mb.   How do you discover how much of your allowance you have used up?

I go to "Account", "my Attachments",

there a beam on top, now blue - yesterday red,  tells me number of my attachments, used and max data volume.

Edited by Z320

Thnaks Z320!     It must only show youthe max, or be colouyred red, when or if you get close to that.

Mine only shows how many, and is a sort of grey.

John

20 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Marco,

as Peter says - you need to delete them from the actual post.

Interesting.

I've just been looking at some of the less useful attachments of mine which are on the now-locked threads - you know cartoons and such.    You can't delete them..........because the thread is locked and won't allow editing.  I guess they will have to stay just taking up space then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Why can we not delete them from our attachments area like we could before ?

I have noticed that I have several repeats in my attachments folder, & would like to clear some out.

Can't remember which threads they were used for though.

Bob.