Mystery Tonneau webbing strap

Good Evening 

When I got my TR4A it came with a mohair tonneau cover that I have not yet used - with it was a webbing strap pictures attached with a female press stud at each and is 46 inches from stud to stud. I can't work out what it is for of where it attaches - Can anyone help me work out what it is for ?

Many Thanks

Andrew

Webbing Strap 1 (1).JPG

Webbing Strap 2 (2).JPG

Maybe a tonneau restraint strap to clip to the bodywork to stop the tonneau billowing upwards when being driven at speed. Try clipping it to the tonneau (if a stud is available) and then stretch it to see if it will reach the bodyshell somewhere inside clipping it down, you may have to add a stud yourself if not already fitted.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Normally attaches to a stud on the inner side of the passenger seat as Mickey has stated to stop the tonneau flapping at speed.

Stuart.

10 hours ago, Andy303 said:

The attachment on the seat is a lift-the-dot type stud. That looks like a snap on the strap.

Correct it is a snap on - I have checked the passenger seat and there is no lift the dot stud or male snap on - there is also no male snap on stud on the tonneau.

It looks as if it will remain one of life's little mysteries and be consigned to the spare parts crate.

Andrew

If its too long to fit anywhere on the side of the passenger seat then fit a stud to the lower side of the tunnel, unfortunately these can be difficult to access.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, AlanG said:

My strap was attached to the tonneau so I made a loop on the other end and slide it over the hand brake lever. Works fine.

Alan.

Alan - that wont work on a TR4! I haven't got anywhere to fix the end of my strap so I end up sitting on it which sort of works - my tonneau is an original ST one so it might be helpful if I measure the length of the strap when I get a chance 

cheers Rich

Hello Andrew

On my RHD TR4A there was a hole low down towards the rear of the right hand side of the passenger seat  -  designed to accept a Lift-the-Dot stud (of the kind held in place with a nut), which I fitted.   When I bought my tonneau-cover (Don Hoods, excellent) I asked them to also supply a suitable strap (in the same material as the tonneau cover itself) to which I then fitted a Lift-the-Dot top at the lower end.   I then attached it to the tonneau-cover so as to make it pull down on the tonneau-cover to stop it flapping in the wind in "monoposto mode" as previously explained, and, I believe, as per original tonneau-covers (why else have the hole towards the rear of the right hand side of the passenger seat?)  Indeed I've just found the Triumph part number for the stud in the Accessories section factory parts book  -  565753 "Stud, fitted to passenger seat"

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

Tony