Brake Shoe Orientation.

Prior to putting the rear assembly back together I thought I'd replace the brake shoes.

Just wanted to confirm a couple of things as a little confused having looked at the existing shoes.

Bit long winded but please bear with me.

As I understand the leading shoe, ( more metal at the top ) should be in the direction of rotation..towards the front of the car.

Therefore looking at the hub leading shoe on the left, trailing shoe on the right.

I ask this as Picture1( IMG 3869 ) shows the passenger hub on the left and the drivers side on the right, both with the leading shoe on the right or back edge when fitted to the car.

2. The slot in the shoe for the hand break lever is in the leading shoe, so the shoe foremost should apply pressure to the hub. Is this correct.

In my case the rear shoe applies the pressure.

3. Picture 2 ( IMG 3870 )shows the orientation of the handbrake levers and picture 3 ( IMG 3871) shows the relation between the lever of the passenger side hub and the handbrake cable.

It looks to me, but I could be very wrong hence asking those who know.

That the hubs assemblies have been put on the wrong side of the car.

To confirm this could you advise.

That the leading shoe ( more metal at the top) should be towards the front of the car and applies pressure to the hub on the face nearest the front of the car when the handbrake is applied.

The handbrake lever should also face forward as per the hub without the rubber glove on in picture 2.

If this is the case I suppose I could swap the hubs over and re-route the handbrake cable in front of the bumps stop on the trailing arm.

Thanks for your endurance.

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

I think in you first picture the brake on the left should be fitted to R/H side, but the brake lever wants to face to the front

The right image on the first picture will fit to the L/H side and again the brake lever should face to the front

John

PS   Brake lever corrected.

Edited by John L

Hi Phil,

your description on the first post confuses me, left, right, driver, passenger side.

Strange, on the last photo of your first post the bowden cable shows to the rear of the car?

On the photo direct above everything is OK, the handbrake shoe to the front of the car,

the hand brake leaver also shows to the front of the car.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Marco and Jochems,

Now the correct hubs are back on the vehicle, handbrake lever forward.

The connection of the brake line to the brake cylinder is very tight as it is obstructed by the bump stop, flange.

Could you please confirm should the brake line route behind or in front of the bump stop, and under or over the handbrake cable.

In looks as if behind is correct but the brake pipe is not long enough.

If you have an image of the correct route that would be great.                 

Thanks

Phil

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3886.jpg