TR5 Air plenum

I have just learnt that the air plenum on my rebuild project TR5 is from a TR6 and that the inlet manifolds are also the air bleed type. Apart from the originality issue are there any other issues to be considered or do I just fit as if it was a TR6? I have had a look at other photos of 5s including the one for sale at £75,000 described as possibly the best concours 5 there is, and it has the same plenum as the one below. The originality issue is not of any great concern. Mine is the blue one , obviously!

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_5599s.thumb.JPG.c27203e4e6045bf43e3fed480e675cd1.JPG12325881.jpg.9c98bfe176b7971b52fb5aa5c0139c98.jpg12310762.thumb.jpg.e51241db9249ff8d5bc123b28f113569.jpgIMG_5137.thumb.jpg.26810e1d7806e72b078b004503db700a.jpg

26 minutes ago, Tim T said:

I have just learnt that the air plenum on my rebuild project TR5 is from a TR6 and that the inlet manifolds are also the air bleed type. Apart from the originality issue are there any other issues to be considered or do I just fit as if it was a TR6? I have had a look at other photos of 5s including the one for sale at £75,000 described as possibly the best concours 5 there is, and it has the same plenum as the one below. The originality issue is not of any great concern. Mine is the blue one , obviously!

Many thanks,

Tim

For £75k it should be spot on Tim, but then again there's 'concours' and 'concours'.  :o

Cheers, Andrew

Tim,

I would fit it, definitely. Later TR5’s had the idle air valve, so I think that “later” plenum (which you have) is correct if you have a later 5. I do not know when the change was made but others will. I would not go back to the version without the separate idle valve if I had a very early 5 that originally did not have one, that would be a step back for me.

Cheers,
Waldi

Many thanks Waldi.

Mine is July 1968 and CP2675, so this set up is probably correct.

The car had been converted from PI to carbs in the 70's, so I have had to source all 'new' PI equipment. It is definitely a genuine UK matching numbers 5 which I have known for over 40 years.

So I think that all is well!!!

Many thanks,

Tim

The air valve modification for the TR5 was detailed in Triumph Newsletter 183 for week ending 1st November 1968 and is shown on their drawings SS 45/68 sheets 1, 2 & 3 so unlikely many if any TR5 were fitted with it on the production line. The TR5 air box itself wasn't altered for this mod it was the air cleaner support bracket which had the air tube connector brazed to it. The modification was brought about because of all of the complaints received about loss of idling and was obviously sorted out in time for the production TR6, so it is a sensible modification for all TR5 to have the TR6 airbox and valve.

cheers

Derek

Morning Tim, Good to see you have a set of early rubbers.

Foe what it's worth, my 5 has the Plenum with just one outlet to the rocker. No Air bleed, the adjustment is on three screws and works just fine.

Many have the Two outlet Tr6 type set up , with the brass Air bleed as your picture shows.

Looking good, 

Conrad.

This was the Original Plenum Box on my old car which I believe to be the Original TR5 Item?

6. Engine Bay 1.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn

Thanks everybody.

It would appear that almost certainly not original spec, but what the hell I am going to drive it and providing it runs well doesn't really matter.

Get the car back from the paint shop tomorrow, so plenty more questions to come I'm afraid!!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have a January 1968 TR5 and this is the set up I have. I have been reading Bill Piggott's excellent book Original Triumph TR (Birthday present!) and he says that the incorporation of an air bleed was done after production ceased as a dealer fitted modification. This was made available from 1st November 1968 and was a free of charge modification. He states that most TR5s were modified. He adds that TR6s had an air bleed fitted from the start of production. I bought my car last August so have no idea when the modification was carried out and whether it is of the dealer fitted type.

I hope that this helps and I'm not muddying the water for you!

Denis

IMG_8290-2.JPG

IMG_8288.JPG

Hi Denis, as far as I know, you have the  modification and that air bleed valve is a rare beast  !

Whoever owned my car didn't have the dealer Modification done  !

Cheers Conrad 

21 minutes ago, DenisMc said:

Hi Tim,

I have a January 1968 TR5 and this is the set up I have. I have been reading Bill Piggott's excellent book Original Triumph TR (Birthday present!) and he says that the incorporation of an air bleed was done after production ceased as a dealer fitted modification. This was made available from 1st November 1968 and was a free of charge modification. He states that most TR5s were modified. He adds that TR6s had an air bleed fitted from the start of production. I bought my car last August so have no idea when the modification was carried out and whether it is of the dealer fitted type.

I hope that this helps and I'm not muddying the water for you!

Denis

IMG_8290-2.JPG

IMG_8288.JPG

One of my customers has that same valve on their TR5 that they have owned from new and that too was a supplying dealer fit.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Conran and Stuart for your responses! Nice to have something that is both original and rare!

Hello Denis i have exactly the same on mine .Interesting that all photos of original car show black air boxes.i am sure i saw somewhere that they were silver 

May be a question for our registrar.

Roy

Hi Graham and Roy. I have had a look at some photos of my car taken as it was dismantled 20 years ago for restoration. The plenum could be  any colour as there is so much grey dust in the engine compartment it is impossible to tell. Bill Piggott shows a photo of a TR5 engine compartment in his book and the plenum is gloss black like mine. As you say, perhaps a question for Roger Ferris.

Denis

Edited by DenisMc
19 hours ago, tr graham said:

silver airboxes with only one inlet

graham

Except for a few very late cars that had black ones.

Stuart.

FWIW that dealer fit air bleed with the bolt in the side was also fitted to early Malines built TR6 as well.

Stuart.

IMG_2432.jpg

This is the Original one Owner unrestored TR5 which was at the Lincoln show in 2016 (I think)

Air Cleaner is Silver Hammerite type finish, but you can only just make out the Plenum, looks like Satin black finish?

Original TR5 NVK Engine Bay.jpg

Edited by Gary Flinn

Seems to be a huge variation out there. Both images below were taken at the NEC 2018 Classic car show.

1st one was on the TTRR stand as an unrestored car. The second was on the TRGB stand and had just been sold, with an asking price of £70,000 - I think.

Going to keep mine as it is right or wrong.

Cheers,

Tim

IMG_4312s.thumb.JPG.9261c850cc6d5a16939817d8dd3c133f.JPGIMG_4301s.thumb.JPG.1ddf74e004413bb944969cac1f3c55d8.JPG

Over 50 yrs later its not surprising there are differences to be found, its only lately with the escalating prices that people worry too much about originality. The one shown below is restored though not correct its still nice. Oh and that top one in your post doesnt look unrestored especially not with two air valves.

Stuart.

IMG_4965.JPG

Edited by stuart

Well, if mine looks that good when finished I will be very happy.

Tim