No power to head lamps

After solving a fuel gauge problem with the help of the forum and before replacing the dash cover , l have check the electrics, all switches and lights are working apart from the head lamps. The side come on via the main light switch and the heads lamps go up and down when using the flasher stalk. I have replaced the main light switch, any advice on were to go next?

Andy   

I am assuming the headlamp bulbs are OK, the headlamps raise when you switch them on with the main switch and that the dash full beam warning lamp operates properly. 

The fact the headlamps raise on flash means the dip/flash switch is working and should be providing power to the headlamp main beam fuses.

For the problem to affect both  headlights in full and dip beam, then possibly either:

a/ the four 25A fuses are blown or missing

b/ there is no earth connection to the headlamp bulbs

c/ there are bad connections between the dip/flash switch and the fuses or between the fuses and the bulbs. 

Today the problem is different were as yesterday l could get the head lamps to go up and down using the flasher wit blubs working. I always disconnect the battery over night, on connecting the battery today l can't get the head lamps operate, the side lights are ok. I have noticed that when l pull the flasher stalk there is a flicker on the dash panel which might indicate an earth problem. The electrics have been upgraded, new blade type fuse board and same changes to the wiring, as l do have a diagram of the new set up it makes checking for faults difficult.

As l have removed and refitted the instrument cluster could this be a problem.

When you say the electrics have been 'upgraded' do you mean the wiring loom has been changed or modified ?

Anything you have recently done which could affect the wiring must be a prime suspect if the fault has just appeared.

If the headlamp pods will not now raise it could be that there is no longer  power getting to the dip/flash switch. Power input to the switch is the purple wire which comes from the battery via the 50A main fuse. When you operate the flash lever the full-beam light should come on. If it only flickers it shows there is a problem either with the power connection or with the switch or there is no earth to the lamp. 

Hi Alfie,

If you are happy that you have power to the light switch I would start at the other end of the system. All the connectors are likely to be corroded and giving resistance to the electrical flow. Start by disconnecting the battery and then going through all the connectors and giving them a good clean (you can buy tools on eBay for stripping down the multi wire connectors for 2 or three pounds).

It is also worth making sure the headlamp lift pods are working freely by giving them a spray with some sort of lubricant (word of warning do not do this with the battery power on as once the system starts to cycle you cannot stop it and it will have your fingers off!). 

hope this helps a little

cheers Ian

Thanks to all for input. Bit of back ground information, l acquired the car as a winter project as l did not have any winter jobs on my 4A. The car had a complete body off rebuild in the 90's, it rust free, engine rebuild. I have photo and loads of receipts to back this up. Around 2000 the fuse board was change from the glass to blade type by a classic car restorer in Glasgow, but unfortunate l do not have diagrams to go with this. I have email the restore in hope that they have information on file.The car was off the road and dry stored for about 10 years, this may back up the the corroded contact suggestion.

It had factory fitted air con which has been removed (have all the parts, from the Vin number it looks like it was destined for the Japan,s market but never left the UK.

I will check and clean over the next couple days. Fingers X

Andy