Help! I have a TR3A in BRG, which is currently being repainted as the paintwork has bubbled! The car is at present having the old paint stripped off. Although brg is a colour that was a choice at the time the car was built in 1957, its original colour was Signal red! I am asking that if I was to get it resprayed in this colour, would the car be more valuable ( as that’s the colour it left the factory in)? Looking forward to any advice 

5201C4B8-A872-4A81-BE4B-FE9264C354BB.jpeg

6A0027E6-9E35-4964-BB02-690B679DFF9A.jpeg

Edited by Cheis Dineen
Spelling mistake

To be honest, it will only make a difference if a buyer is after a totally original spec car. As no such car exists these days I have always taken the view that you can paint the car any colour you like.  You say the car is now BRG  but was the car completely stripped to a bare shell and repainted that colour or can signal red still be seen  if you lift the carpets or look under the dash or in the engine bay?   If it was a proper total  respray my advice  would be to keep it as it is as to do a colour change now without stripping the car completely will be a costly and time consuming job.  Find a decent body shop with a heated spray booth and moisture control. so that micro blisters don't re appear.   Hope this helps but financially it wont make a jot of difference what the colour is. its the condition that counts. 

hoges. 

Having a color that matches the build certificate may add a small amount to the value, rather like a matching numbers car that has its original engine and gearbox etc. However if the car was painted BRG during a rebuild for example and is BRG inside and out it will be expensive to return is all to red and I would wonder if you would recover that cost in the final value of the all original red.

Stan

I have a long door TR2. It is a 3 owner car with about 75,000 miles. I completed a body off restoration ( it was bought in two trailer loads) and have done the entire restoration as it left the factory, as close as I can.

In this type of situation I believe the car is worth a lot more than if it was a non original colour scheme.

A car that isn't a bit rare or special can be completed in any colour although one of the original colours will add to its value.

IMG_3667.JPG

Nice looking TR!

Apart from the not indifferent cost, I can't help wondering which colour you yourself prefer. I think the red and white walls looks more distinctive. I guess it depends if it is intended as an investment or a car to enjoy. Or maybe the issue is short-term ownership and resale value? There's values and value, maybe? Food for thought anyway.

43 minutes ago, David Brancaleone said:

Nice looking TR!

Apart from the not indifferent cost, I can't help wondering which colour you yourself prefer. I think the red and white walls looks more distinctive. I guess it depends if it is intended as an investment or a car to enjoy. Or maybe the issue is short-term ownership and resale value? There's values and value, maybe? Food for thought anyway.

Sorry everyone! I don't know how to delete the repeat.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:59 AM, David Brancaleone said:

Sorry everyone! I don't know how to delete the repeat.

To answer your question, I really like the red with brown leather and fawn weather equipment. But my favourite colour scheme is my other TR2 in BRG with red leather (gone dark with age) and fawn.

IMG_2711.JPG