Stag Fastback Prototype

In trying to build up a history file for my TR5 I have recently been given a photograph of the Stag Fastback Prototype, the original engine of which ( X1255E ) is currently in my TR5.

If anyone can remember seeing the car at the event shown in the picture ( it seems to be some 10th anniversary event ) or has any other information on the car , I would be very grateful to hear from them

many thanks

:D

Hi Rex, I don't believe that your engine was out of the white Stag fastback which still exists and is/was owned by Alan Hart and as far as I am aware it has always had a Stag engine. A good article on this car appears in Triumph World no 7. This article also mentions the two other Stag fastbacks that were built, the first in Autumn 1968 from the original Stag prototype 6105 KV and the second in 1969/70 from Stag prototype X787/X798. It is this second car which was fitted with engine X1255E according to the prototype register. This car was dark blue in colour. A good rear 3/4 view of it appears in Graham Robsons book "Triumph 2000 & 2.5PI" and a front 3/4 view and a page of text on the fastbacks appears in the James Taylor/Dave Jell book "Triumph Stag". According to this latter book X798 retained the six cylinder engine to September 1971 by when twin carburettors had replaced the fuel injection. This fastback was scrapped in a Nottingham scrapyard. As you are aware the engine next appeared in Geoff Faulkners TR6 which was broken up in 2003. Geoff having obtained the engine in the 80's from an engine reconditioner in the Coventry area.

Hope that this helps. If you need scans of any of the above I should be able to oblige.

Cheers

Derek Graham

saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk