Vertical link / triunnionless

Hi All

Just fitted the modified vertical links to my Spitfire JC Midge from Canley Classics a well engineered job with a rose joint instead of the triunnion I have asked them if they would do the same for the TR range but say they don’t have the first call on the TR forging, has any other member looked into this?

Keith

0AA7D1BE-FBA2-4997-89C2-A007F18CDFB9.jpeg

That Spitfire arrangement I believe was developed by/for Caterham Cars.

Similar change was done by Rover RSP for the MG R V8 front suspension to get rid of the kingpin and lever arm shock absorber in the front suspension.

Peter W

The Spitfire/GT6 ones are much smaller than the TR and hence break more readily. TR vertical links tend to bend rather than break so seems unlikely to be the demand.

Having had 4 GT6 ones break on separate occasions (one nearly new that had been tuftrided) I finally threw them away before they killed me and converted to Canley trunnionless which have proven their worth over many miles on my daily driver Hurricane.

In my view, anyone with a small chassis Triumph should swap out their trunnions as a matter of course. Fortunately most break at low speed, although I had one let go on a Goodwood track day and another at about 60 on the road - both quite unsettling experiences.

Jerry

i know of 2 TR4 race cars that had trunnions removed and replaced with either a ball joint or rose joints in the late 90s to the bottom of their uprights .

i will try and find out which it was. Mod carried out by cambridge motorsport.  

Roy