to convert or not

I am currently in a dilemma as to wether to convert my lefthand drive 1971 TR6 to righthand drive. Is it worth it?

My car was reimported in 1993 from Jacksonville Florida and I bought it from the importers. I was going to change hands but was posted to Suffolk from Lincolnshire. The  proximity to the south coast and Europe meant it could be driven on the continent with ease. However I'm now back in Lincs and a considerable distance from the southern ports (and even the east Anglia ones). As it stands it's in good condition and runs like a dream. Age is beginning to creep up on me and the prospect of selling is not that far away so do I change it and hopefully recoup the cost with more interest. Or do I keep it as is and hope for someone with more European access wants a great car!

Edited by roughground

I suppose it depends what it owes you, and would you recoup the cost of the conversion, I think not, if you are going to sell in the near future.

Edited by Paul Hill

There is a big European Market for LHD cars, it probably wouldn't pay you to change at this stage.

Depends how long you are thinking of keeping it for.

Conrad.

If you are going to sell then leave it as it is as you will never get back the money it costs to do the conversion- theres a lot to do as i know to do it properly eg replacement wooden dash and metal dash , new rhd steering rack, some dashboard padding parts, couple of brackets to support steering rack either side of bulkhead( to do a proper job - some folks dont bother with under bonnet support but hey each to their own but not me), alterations to wiring loom, brake pipes need altering, interior pedal mounting bracket and new brake pedal, clutch pedal, accelerator pedal, speedo and tacho cables possibly too, some welding and cutting, drilling and painting a bit i think that covers just about most of it and you could also be tempted to do other works if you did convert ( as i have done going from conversion to a full restoration - my damn OCD kicked in and that was that lol).

Have fun whatever you do.

Michael

I've converted 2 but both as part of full restorations where the car was being stripped completely anyway. As michael says there is quite a bit to it. First one I did I extended the existing loom but i'd recommend a replacement loom. To do it properly you need to patch and weld the holes left when you move the column, pedal box etc. This all then needs painting.... I've not priced it up properly but minimum it's got to be 1k+ in parts (if you get lucky you with used bits) and 2k+ in labour if you can't diy.

Prices here for a good original LHD TR6 are on the rise. For some reason people here, around the south west like originality not restoration. €20000 is a good guide for a GOOD,' solid, original  LHD car .

13 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Prices here for a good original LHD TR6 are on the rise. For some reason people here, around the south west like originality not restoration. €20000 is a good guide for a GOOD,' solid, original  LHD car .

You'd get a seriously good LHD US import delivered to  your door for significantly less than that.

The trouble is the French can't be bothered to import here ( too much hassle) and there are not enough hours in my day to get involved. A business opportunity for someone with the time.