Vertical Link failed

I remember a friend of mine had a 3 litre Scimitar and had two VLs break (both nearside) after hitting potholes, but I don't know any details - this was back in the eighties, and these days I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast.

Pete

WOW!

Thanks all for the response. I'll find a way to summarise for him, it seems then that the link is not known to fail in normal use but, as this section of the link is more exposed to excesses of accidental over-stress (kerbs etc) and corrosion, it should be on the list for routine inspection. Indeed, none of our 60 year old parts can automatically be regarded as good as new!

Changing both of them being the staring point and also ensuring that other suspension woes are not causing the ball joint to reach its end of travel before the bump stops.

Perhaps other car clubs whose cars use substantial amounts of TR technology should be invited to joint the TRR so they can benefit and contribute to the most excellent Forum?

Cheers,

Mike

ps..Does any one object to me constructing a short missive for TRA based on the advice?  Not sure it's the most important issue facing our cars but... 

Tony Sheach had a vertical link fail on Beastie (his TR4, BST82B) on a rally somewhere in France last year.  However, Beastie is thrashed and has been for several years, and has had some "offs"!

Ian Cornish

Hi

Just picking up on an early comment, the angle of the top ball joint I did buy replacement top ball joints a few years ago from one of the TR suppliers at a show when I Fitted them the angle of movement was a lot less then original and did not allow the full travel of the suspension so would have put excessive load on the joints and upright so in the bin they went.

Keith

Hi Keith,

that was an issue highlighted about 4 years ago.

Somebody (Richard I think) noticed that the steering went very stiff with the suspension on max dangle. He found that the dampers were too long (compared to standard).

It was also found that the top ball joint had reduced travel.

It is not clear how to identify these ball joints - perhaps put in a vice and see what angle you get.

Roger

4 hours ago, Keith Warren said:

Hi

Just picking up on an early comment, the angle of the top ball joint I did buy replacement top ball joints a few years ago from one of the TR suppliers at a show when I Fitted them the angle of movement was a lot less then original and did not allow the full travel of the suspension so would have put excessive load on the joints and upright so in the bin they went.

Keith

I think that Amsteer joints made in the UK may be better quality than most although there is a premium to be paid. 

FWIW this Scimmy would have power steering, therefore;  the forces on the upright could be greater than on a TR.

Power steering Scimitars also use a different trunnion to the less common non power steered Scimitars like my own se6a which has standard TR6 trunnions.

I find my Scimmy nose heavy compared to my TR6.

ken