Front Bumper fitment issues

Hello TR fans

Progressing slowly with my TR6 rebuild I have started to assemble the front end.  The car came to me in pieces and it looks like I have the early CP type front bumper.  My car is an early CR.  

Not a problem as both types of bumper should fit.

The problem I have is with the front bumper fitted it looks like the front end is too narrow.  There is approx 1/2" gap between the lower wing and side bumper bracket on LHS and a generous 1/4" gap on RHS.  The bonnet is on and even gaps all round, parallel to the front bulkhead so looks like there is no twist in front end.

Fitting the front indicator units gives me another question.  Should the lens face be vertical when looking from the side or sloping back, as it does on my car?  I have approx 15mm between bumper and underside on the lenses.  I've looked at lots of TR6 on the interweb with CP style bumper fitted and they all different.

Can someone confirm what the distance should be between bumper side mounting brackets, as I have no pedigree of these parts.  It doesn't look damaged, no obvious creasing.  Made a photo of the things i'm looking for.  If any one can help much appreciated.

To save any confusion, blue car is not mine just closest I could find to my car.

thanks

James

58702426_TR6Frontbumperdimension.thumb.jpg.35790a67cd8ee35be9af4a835654f095.jpg

TR6 Front bumper dimension.jpg

If I understand the problem correctly, the bumper appears too wide for the car.

I had exactly the same trouble when reassembling my CP-series car after fitting a pair of new Heritage front wings about 8 years ago. The distance between the outer bolt bolt mounting holes on the bumper of my TR6 was 1,364mm, whilst the width across the wing mounting holes was about 10mm less.

After much head scratching and trying an original factory bumper, my conclusion was that the new wings had slightly wrong curvature in the areas where the bumper fits. The convex profile of the wing in that area was flatter, not as pronounced as it should have been. It's very likely to have been the result of using old press tools that have worn from stamping out many tens of thousands of wings.

The body shop that fitted the wings rectified the problem by opening up the seams between the wings and the lower part of the front valance, packing the seams out and then covering with a smear of seam sealer. After that, the bumper fitted fine and if I didn't know it was there, the adjustment would be unnoticeable.

Nigel

Hi James

I had exactly the same issue with some SH bumpers i aquired but slightly worse as the front bumper was touching the indicators.

The replies to my post last Sept might help.

Front bumper fitting 18 Sept 2019

But for me the solution was slightly more drastic.

Basicallyt i cut out the old brackets fabricated new ones with a slightly diffenrt profile and moved the holes and well it all fits much better now.

But as i said it was quite abit of work and i'm sure not perfect but a significant improvement.

B! is before and B2 after, apols for the pic quality and B2 looks much beter in reality.

Cheers  Keith

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

I think there should be a thick rubber packing between the bumper and wing.

Paul

Hi Graham

I think that might have been my problem.

No idea what car my SH bumpers came off, but hey they look ok now and it was a fun little project.

As was fabricating the missing bracket off the rear centre section.

I used my CAD programme (cardboard aided design) and it turned out ok.

Cheers  Keith

1232770420_BumperBracket.thumb.jpg.bb44f47c920c74c1676d5b140df8911d.jpg