Gearbox End Studs vs Bolts?

Hi All.

Now that I have my rebuilt gearbox back from the repairer I'm dealing to various issues that are easiest done while the box is still out.

First on the list was a bolt through the clutch release fork and shaft.  I used a 5.0 mm high tensile cap screw with a suitable length of plain shank and cut the thread to suit.  I'm pretty happy with how that has worked out. The nut is secured with a lock washer and high strength threadlock.

Next is to refit the OD unit extension to the GB.  Previously I had used Loctite liquid thread tape to try and stop the oil from tracking along the bolts and under the heads.  It was reasonably successful but seems to be the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff approach.

At the other end of the extension are studs from the OD unit which appear to be secured in blind holes.  This would be leak free with bolts rather than studs but the holes in the gearbox are open to the box interior.  

I'm now contemplating cutting down some bolts to make suitable studs for the GB end which I will threadlock into the casing after having cleaned them with solvent.

In view of the fact that the OD and GB have to come out of the car as one unit can anyone foresee any potential issues with my plan? 

Gavin

15824346662820.jpg

15824346663921.jpg

Edited by KiwiTR6
Clarified intended action.

A wrap of lead linger under the washers round the studs.  It will compress into the gap twixt stud and casing.

....or a gob of modern car mechanics friend - silicone  RTV 

cheers

Peter W