Early TR-6PI Information

I have what I believe is a very early 1969 TR-6PI. The serial number is CP26313.

It was shipped to Nova Scotia , Canada for a rather high profile customer shortly after the TR-6 began its production.

Can anyone tell me just when it was built and what number sequence in the total production of what I believe was approx. 75000 vehicles.

Thanks in advance...S. Jensen

TR6.JPG

IMG_4980.jpg

Edited by sjensen

My car is CP26093 and was built on the 29th April '69, yours wouldn't be much later than that.

Ian

45 minutes ago, sjensen said:

DaveB66 and iani

Thanks for that.

From that information it looks like my car is the 133rd TR-6 built.

1133rd built

Hi all

Chipping in here so mine is Chassis number CP/26018-0. Engine CP/26015-HE built 15th April and a UK car where does it fit in with regard to manufacture number? 1017th?

Thanks

Andy

Hi,

According to our records your TR6 would have been built on the 7th May 1969. It was purchased by the original owner under the PED scheme ( Personal Export Delivery), whereby the owner collected it from the factory and could use it for up to 6 months on the UK and / or Europe before taking it to its final export destination as it was allocated the UK registration number URW 668G. I also have a record of an original engine number of CP26249HE.  

Note that the Moss Motors commission number list noted above is incorrect and has incorrect commission numbers for the end of most model years. Not sure where they got it from but don't believe everything it says.

Your TR6 looks to be in very nice condition albeit looks like it has acquired quite a few later model details over the years.

Hope that this helps

cheers

Derek'

saffrontr

Thank you very much for that information.

I expected a trained eye would pick up some of the many mods I have done over 30 years of ownership.

I stumbled upon this car in a garage in North end Halifax. It had been sitting there for 16 years according to the absent owners mother who had decided she wanted her garage back. Rough shape as expected , including the oil pan in the trunk with a couple of pistons and con rods rolling around in it. It was a complete overdrive car though. The deal was done , the flatbed ordered and car delivered home in the space of a couple of hours. A year long body off , frame up restoration ensued.

PI's are quite rare in Canada as they were never exported here for some reason. A few made it our way via methods as you described. Upon registering the car I found out who  the original owner was and I'm sure he must have been the PED customer. His name was Robert Stanfield. A quick google search will reveal who he was to those who are interested. Just an interesting tidbit.

cheers

Edited by sjensen

Hi Kevin,

They changed at CP26998. As noted above the owner of CP26313 has made a number of mods over the 30 years of ownership. I guess original 1969 parts are even more difficult to get hold of in Canada than they are over here.

Derek

At the time of restoration I was more concerned with what pleased my eye than originality. Also the price and availability of some of the parts. Funny thing is re:steering wheel , I like the original look better now. Too bad I sold it. 

There are a lot of things I would have done differently to maintain originality if I knew then what we all know now but that ship has sailed.

I have no intention of ever selling it , so I guess the value equation really doesn't come into play but I have since come to appreciate very original cars no matter what the marque.