Cleaning Gauge dials/decals

Hi all

Spent the last week or so testing and stripping the gauges. The temp and oil pressure were toast so sourced replacements from Conrad's parts cave which I'll use as donors as I've de-rusted all mine after a weeks bath in phosphoric acid and painted them.

So today I started reassembling the gauges with new seals and the last job was to clean the dials so I started with just a little soapy water to the petrol gauge only to find that the paint has deteriorated to the point it simply lifting off. So a lot of wasted effort if I can't find a solution. I've not touched the rest.

Anyone any ideas with regard to obtaining new decals or dial faces?

Would vinyl printed ones be a option if available?

Thanks

Andy 

Update

Rang quite a few companies today who recondition Smiths gauges but most won't supply only the dials and one will but only if I send the gauges so they can be tested which I suspect is code for we will recondition the lot at £45 to £50 plus VAT which I'm not prepared to do. So the search continues.

Any clues anyone?

Thanks 

Andy

If it is the flat part of the face I had limited success with scanning and then photoshopping the image before printing on waterslide transfer media.

It needs white background media and laser printing. The front section was not very good due to the curvature, I could not persuade the transfer to follow the curves.

Somewhere I may have the image files for temperature and volts.

Admission,  my wife did all the image manipulation, beyond me.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Would be beyond me as well! 

Appreciate the files if you can find them.

Thanks

Andy

On 2/22/2020 at 10:26 AM, Mike Collins said:

If it is the flat part of the face I had limited success with scanning and then photoshopping the image before printing on waterslide transfer media.

It needs white background media and laser printing. The front section was not very good due to the curvature, I could not persuade the transfer to follow the curves.

Somewhere I may have the image files for temperature and volts.

Admission,  my wife did all the image manipulation, beyond me.

Mike.

Wouldn't it be better to use clear decal film, and paint the dial white first?

To get decals to conform to curved surfaces, modellers use Microset https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/28ml-micro-set-microscale and Microsol https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/28ml-micro-sol-microscale

Pete