Missing part

Hi All.

im restoring an early 6 at the moment and have the upper steering tie rod missing, bloody  fairies took it.

its no 58 in the moss catalog, anyone happen to have one under there bench ?

many thanks Mark.

IMG_2840.PNG

Hi Mark, I may be completely wrong but I seem to remember a similar thread in which someone said that the very early 6 came without, something to do with the steering lock on the later 6. I think Stuart is your man, hopefully he will be along soon.

I've got a late CP 6 (with steering lock) and it doesn't have one fitted, not sure if that because its got lost over the years or it was never there in the first place but don't appear to have any issues due to lack of it.

Mark - I've just checked the part numbers which are 622137 for the tr6 but 611532 for the 4/4A - they look very similar but with different part numbers, they are presumably different - I have the 4/4A ones but not the 6 ones which you want - sorry. I would think Conrad would have one.

Cheers Rich 

Hi Mark, I agree with Kev, I refurbished my steering and cabin last year and my 1972 CP did not have the tie rod, seems fine without it

Regards

I've also got CP without a tie rod. The only issue I've had with flexing of the steering column was when the lower mounting bracket on the bulkhead broke. Since I fixed that, the steering column feels really solid.

If you really want to fit a tie rod, it looks easy enough to make by flattening, drilling and bending both ends of a piece of steel tube.

Nigel

Mark, BTY, you may find the steering clamp has cut into the soft aluminium steering cowl living two long gouges  down the cowl. I took the lead from Ed- 'Bullfire' and used a very thin piece of tin (bake bean can I think) to protect the soft aluminium, if its too thick you can't get the clamp on. Worked well

E7668DCE-23C2-4448-AEDC-7EB6B5EE42F0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.19da596006b6033737598a296b41a078.jpeg     

C7BF72A3-2C57-40EC-847A-1BBE0BE106C9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.847d80ed45d5e3e25f0a34b51864d355.jpeg 

Hi All.

From what I understand the early one had them without the steering lock and the later ones had a different arrangement because of the lock.

I don't remember taking it off but that doesn't mean I didn't. 

Hi Rich.

shame different part no's thanks anyway.

Mark.

If you dont have a steering lock then the earlier 4/4a one can easily be made to fit if you can only find one of them.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

Marki

Just completing the restoration of my 1973 TR6 and thought I too had "lost" the upper and lower tie rods during the dismantling.

Either that or a previous PO may have omitted it on reassembly.

Being a NCA part at well known suppliers, I spoke to Daniel at TR Shop in London and he stated that I would not need the lower one as my vehicle had a steering lock. I had noted a bit of movement in the column and wanted to be sure it was firm before I take the car into its first French MoT (Controle Technique).

Daniel did source an upper one for me and now fitted, I feel the column is much more rigid.

(Currently fitting a new loom with associated problems of non matching wire colours but plenty of time to sort due to current French travel limitations from your home!)

John

My 74 with steering lock didn't have one but I fitted one. They are hard to find but they are out there. I got one from a trader on here but I have since seen them in the jumbles at Stoneleigh, IWE etc.