Hi All

Its not often I'm here but I regularly view threads as they are a brilliant source for trouble shooting and I thank the register for that.

Anyway I've  owned my 6 FOR 23 YEARS NOW and this week whilst doing the normal winter titivating I decided to tackle my rattling doors. Needless to say I've changed the remote lock bar felt, channel felts, added sound dampening, replaced a spring for the remoted latch etc etc

Whilst having the door in pieces I noticed that the door tie bar which attaches  from channel to channel is missing and I suspect this is adding to the noise.

The reason for the post is that I've tried to buy replacements on line but these are no longer available from the usual suppliers.

So, here is my question, has anyone attempted to manufacture new ones themselves and if so do you know the materials used, dimensions and angle of bends for the hooks at each end

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Steve

That is brilliant Ed and thank you for such a prompt reply.

Thank you too John. I've read the tr5 thread as you posted but whilst it states a diameter for the rod of between 2.6 and 3mm it doesn't give me the length.

Can I ask how long your rods are Ed as I'm happy to make new ones but it will be so much easier if I have the size as opposed to trying to put a tape in the door etc.

Also the hooks at each end, I assume they fit snug around each channel ?

Regards

Steve

Sorry, Steve, those rods are deep inside the doors of a winter stored car, so i cant get to them easily.

Yes, the rods just hook around the front and rear channels, and the center is captured by a finger on the lower window stop.

To mitigate any rattling, I did a little customization on the rod.  A plastic tubing sleeve at the center, and the ends got a few coats of Plastidip.

Ed

DSC05052a.JPG

DSC05056a.JPG

Thanks for the link Roger and the tip about avoiding rattles.  My car is now back together but the dreadful weather is preventing me from taking it on a road treat.

Hi Steve

Yes I will use heat shrink. Fortunately my day job is an electrician and we often use heat shrink though I will use the glued version as I think it will be more stable and absorb noise better. I will try to add pics when complete.

Strange how taking one part of the 6 apart leads to other jobs as I've been looking at the lights too and currently cleaning and upgrading to LED at the same time as doing the tie bars. That's what winter is for though isn't it ?

Steve

Thanks everyone that has contributed to this post.

• 2 months later...

During my rebuild I also have noticed missing tie rods and this thread is very helpful. Looking at the parts catalogue there appears to be a bend in the middle of tie rod. Is this necessary and does it help hold the rod in place due to a bit of induced tension when fitted? Also the Moss catalogue quotes different part numbers for each side. I cannot see why but is there a difference between the left and right doors?

kind regards

Richard

On 5/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, RJB said:

During my rebuild I also have noticed missing tie rods and this thread is very helpful. Looking at the parts catalogue there appears to be a bend in the middle of tie rod. Is this necessary and does it help hold the rod in place due to a bit of induced tension when fitted? Also the Moss catalogue quotes different part numbers for each side. I cannot see why but is there a difference between the left and right doors?

kind regards

Richard

Its only the slight difference in bend towards the middle that makes them handed, you can make them fit either way.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...