TR6 Full Body Respray

Hi, 

I’m located in South Somerset and I am looking for recommendations of places to spray my ‘71 TR6. 

Looking to have the complete underside finished in stone chip and the inner & outer body painted in Sapphire Blue.

Also looking for advice on what type of paint system to use to use? 

Thanks in advance for your help and advice 

Kind regards,

Simon

Hi Simon
Are you prepared to travel, and how far. I am in Staffordshire and a good friend of mine comes highly recommended. 

22 hours ago, c.hydes said:

+ 1 for Sapphire Blue

22 hours ago, c.hydes said:

+ 1 for Sapphire Blue

14 hours ago, kcsun said:

+ 1 for Sapphire Blue

Guys as the owner of a Saphire blue 6 (BUO) would have to agree with you, however it can cause issues at large TR gatherings, as so many 6's are now sprayed Saphire Blue you loose the car in the car park ! 

For the 'virtual' rebuild on my 5 (VPK) I'm planning on going for Aston Martin California Sage Green 

1 hour ago, mattyb said:

Revingtons no longer do their spraying "in house"  (probably not for quite a few years )

https://www.revingtontr.com/workshop-facilities

They use a place in Bristol now.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, CP26309 said:

What do paint shops quote for to strip to bare metal and repaint a TR6 exterior and door edges these days, without any metal work repairs to be done?

I’m afraid there is no simple answer. It depends on the quality you want. Rubbing down to bare metal will most likely uncover hidden “flaws” like rust or excessive filler. And then you run into extra  labour and cost.

My car was well prepared, but still required 2 - 3 weeks of labour to paint it. Do the math.

Anywhere between 3-10k (select your currency).

It certainly helps to ask for 2 or 3 quotes, but in the end I opted for the company that gave me best feel.I was not disappointed.

Waldi

Simon

I was in the same situation as yourself about 9 months ago, looking for a recommended company that could make good the paint work on my car, and like you I live in the South West, just over the Somerset county border in Dorset.

My first port of call was Neil Revington. He recommended me to a company in Shaftesbury, Dorset called Autobody repairs.

I then spoke to the owner Thomas who agreed to show me around his premises before I made a decision about the way forward.

To cut a long story short I was very impressed with what I saw and heard. Thomas showed me various cars he was working on and had completed – waiting for collection. They ranged from Aston Martins to Minis and included at least one TR – a car I believe owned by Neil himself.

I agreed for Thomas to do the work and when I collected my TR6 I was very, very impressed. My requirement was smaller than yours, making good the rear wings which had suffered from the shot blasting effect of the gravel roads on the LBL rally last year. The challenge had been to match the new paint with the sun bleached original BRG paint work which he did perfectly. You cannot see where the old paint finishes and the new starts. Stunning work in my opinion and I would have no hesitation in recommending Thomas and his team. I will definitely be using them again.

Incidentally if you go to their web site http://autobody-repair.co.uk and view their gallery you will see a Sapphire Blue TR6 in their paint shop undergoing a complete respray.

I live 20 miles south of Yeovil. Send me a PM and I can give you my details as a satisfied customer of Autobody repairs and I’m sure Thomas would be very proud to show you around his premises. And/or if you want to meet up, you can view the work on my car.

Best wishes

Martin

Hi,

If you are still looking I used Brian Robins at Catcott Garage (between Street and Bridgwater) last year to do some tidying up of rust holes and a full metal respray on my GT6 last year.  Happy with the result and the cost was comparable with other quotes I had.  I live near Langport if you would like to see the results- send me a PM if you would like more info.  The only comment I have is that he is quite busy so it took some time to take the car in and even longer to do the work!

Chris