Best Option For 3rd Gear

Evening All

Ive just stripped my TR4a gearbox due to jumping out of 3rd gear. Initially it looks like excessive end float on the gear which might've been pulling it out, or wear in the the 'top hat' bush as its called. Looks like plod 2.5 injection cars and the Stag had uprated steel bushes which are recommended as opposed to brass...I wonder why? (Got my first motoring ticket in a Standard 8 from copper driving a 2.5 injection btw...)

I was lucky enough to get an NOS 3rd/4th gear hub at Stoneleigh, but looking at the the teeth which engage in the hub sleeve on 3rd gear they do look a bit chonked so I'd rather not mate an old gear to a new hub. Otherwise the box looks good.

Question is what is the quality of a new gear available from Revington etc? I'd rather go NOS if I can, or an excellent used factory gear. Has anyone fitted new gears, is the quality as good as OEM and do they fit properly and last? 

Any feedback appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

14 hours ago, John L said:

You could ask Chris Witor if he has some good used gears,  you will need to check the angle of the teeth, as there are early and late,   https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=247&pg=4

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I phoned Chris and as you say the angle on the teeth which engage in the hub changed at some point in the ‘70’s. He has the later gear but not the earlier though again it would depend on what hub I have and also taking into account 4th gear on the other side. Few more questions to check out first.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

1 hour ago, trevor said:

I had this problem a while ago and got it fixed by Pete Cox, I see from Register news letter his son is in business doing gearbox’s, might be worth a call, sorry don’t have any details.

Here you go

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk

Thanks all, I've now sourced a 3rd gear for my TR4a from Chris Witor so thanks John for the recommendation. Chris only had a new BL NOS later gear which did change in about '73 from 105630 to 152772, with a revision of the cut of the dog teeth. So that left me with a dilemma as to whether I could go for the later new gear or a good secondhand earlier 105630.

I made an enquiry with Moss who were not sure whether the two gears were interchangeable, so they messaged Pete Cox and came back to say either gear could be used, so problem solved. Chris supplied the new boxed BL gear for £16.50 which I thought was very reasonable.

Hopefully this info might be of use to anyone doing a g/box rebuild, but one thing I will be doing is to fit a new 3rd/4th hub and outer ring to ensure the gear teeth mesh properly. 

Kevin