Bought a set of number plates for £35

Most US states offer a "year of manufacture" option for collector cars, allowing one to officially display an old number plate of the type used when the car was made.  Here's a set of plates I bought on eBay for about £35 a couple of years ago.  If I were to register my car in this state (the site of my primary residence) I could have these on my TR.  Easy-peasy. 

As it is, I'm keeping the registration in another state where I own property, 'cause I like that historical plate better and that state requires *nothing* ever again once it's registered.  Those plates, also from eBay, were even cheaper -- something like £20.  By pure coincidence, the colors for the two states' plates were the same -- that's not normal.

The kind of thing one can do in America.  These registration numbers likely woulda been quite a bit more in Britain...

i-GjzdGKF-X5.jpg

i-jTvgX2t-X5.jpg

Hi Don ~
You lucky guy!  You're quite right, in this Country ruled by the Bullshit Brigade we'd never be allowed anything of the sort.

I was once offered the registration HR 100 but the useless County Council wouldn't sanction the transfer.

That registration is now on a Porsche car.  In this Country, if you've got money you can get away with anything!! 

Good Luck to you and your special number plates ~ and give thanks you don't live over here!

Tom.

48 minutes ago, foster461 said:

I assume the Missouri plate was a vanity plate Don, so your YOM rules allow you to use a period vanity plate ?

Good question, Stan.  I haven't checked in detail, but my guess is "yes, probably".

Here's the summary of YOM plates from our state's website:

Year of Manufacture License Plates

The owner of any historic vehicle or trailer possessing a license plate issued by the state of Missouri that is over 25 years old in which the year of issuance of such plate is consistent with the model year of the vehicle or trailer may register such plate as a Year of Manufacture historic license plate as set forth in section 301.131, RSMo, provided the plate configuration does not conflict with the current numbering system. If you already have an old Missouri license plate (or set), Ask Motor Vehicle! to verify if it is available as a Year of Manufacture registration.

15 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Don ~
You lucky guy!  You're quite right, in this Country ruled by the Bullshit Brigade we'd never be allowed anything of the sort.

I was once offered the registration HR 100 but the useless County Council wouldn't sanction the transfer.

That registration is now on a Porsche car.  In this Country, if you've got money you can get away with anything!! 

Good Luck to you and your special number plates ~ and give thanks you don't live over here!

Tom.

well said tom how right you are.

15 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Here's another one. The registration number of my former TR2  OUY 951 is now unfortunately on a posh Bentley car.

Tom.

Outrageous! i think we should all march on Westminster and complain, we want our registrations back as we paid for them in the first place, well i think you should march on Westminster as i will be on my sofa supporting you every way as i reach for another beer, up the revolution brothers.

You're a bit unkind, Tom!

"Vanity" plates - COM 1 C etc -are just that, vanities!     But the DVLA makes prvison for "Age Related Plates" that it will award to reconstructed vehilces that are "a true reflection of the marque".    There are strict criteria, because this is tiger country for swindlers, passing off replicas as the genuine article.   See: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

John

4 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

You're a bit unkind, Tom!

"Vanity" plates - COM 1 C etc -are just that, vanities!     But the DVLA makes prvison for "Age Related Plates" that it will award to reconstructed vehilces that are "a true reflection of the marque".    There are strict criteria, because this is tiger country for swindlers, passing off replicas as the genuine article.   See: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

John

John,

I remember seeing COM 1C on a Volvo P1800 In Berkeley Square, London

when I used to work there.Think around 1975/6.Understand it belonged to

Jimmy Tarbuck at the time.Maybe still does?

Cheers

Roger M-E

And of course MAG 1C was on Paul Daniels Roller (& probably still is as Debbie seems to have hung on to it)

( you can see it from the river when passing by Wargrave)

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
1 hour ago, Lebro said:

And of course MAJ 1C was on Paul Daniels Roller (& probably still is as Debbie seems to have hung on to it)

( you can see it from the river when passing by Wargrave)

Bob.

I used to live in wargrave 

11 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

FWIW, my TR3a which I imported from the States and rebuilt has an age related plate but the V5 states that the rego cannot be transferred. 

Rgds Ian

But, as I understand it, you CAN substitute the age related number with your own cherished

number as long as the cherished number conforms to the age restrictions itself.Then, if and

when you subsequently dispose of the car and want to retain the 'cherished number' DVLA will

then allocate the original age related number back to the car leaving you to retain 'your' number

or transfer to your new vehicle.

Roger M-E