Repair of Gauges. Quote 'Do a job and make a job'

I had a problem with the electrics on my TR4, the overdrive was not working.

A local man came at the weekend and managed to fix it, the problem being a wiring fault, yes it's all working now, he is very helpful.

However, when repairing the overdrive wiring he managed to put a charge/spark through the dash with a live wire, and now the temperature gauge and the fuel gauge do not work.

I had a problem with the Amp meter once before and I bought a new one. But it sticks out like a sore thumb, it is too nice and bright and shinny.

Instead of buying new gauges, is there a company you could recommend that can repair the old ones. I would be very grateful for any help here.

My Dad used to say  'do a job and make a job'  when he worked on his car. How right he was.

L1040121.jpg

I have had a few of mine refurbished by this company- not inexpensive, but one has to pay for a quality job I think.

They also were able to supply new chrome bezels of the correct profile for those I have yet to get sorted. Best time to send them is October of course, when their turn around is a bit shorter. My fuel, temperature (send them the sender bulb with your instrument and it will come back calibrated properly) all around £60-70 pounds. My oil temperature instrument was a little dearer but they did replace the whole of the sender "wire"- it came back looking new- and it now works. All those prices were a couple of years ago so may have changed a little.

www.speedograph-richfield.com

Edited by signalredshaker

The temp and fuel gauges work off a common supply which is from the voltage limiter in the top right of drivers footwell. Behind carpet 

So before changing gauges you should check the supply from that  isnot displaced and that there are volts coming out of the unit.. 

Mike 

+1

If both gauges have stopped working it must be something common to both and the voltage stabiliser is the most likely. The spark could be a red herring too - he may just have disturbed a connection.

There’s a fuse in the supply to the instrument voltage regulator. If your brake lights don’t work (same circuit) then check the fuse box. 

Edited by peejay4A
20 hours ago, MikeF said:

The temp and fuel gauges work off a common supply which is from the voltage limiter in the top right of drivers footwell. Behind carpet 

So before changing gauges you should check the supply from that  isnot displaced and that there are volts coming out of the unit.. 

Mike 

On a LHD car is it in the top left of the driver's footwell?

Pete

57 minutes ago, stillp said:

On a LHD car is it in the top left of the driver's footwell?

Pete

No still top right footwell.

Stuart.