Servo Refurbishment

Following on from my post Bleeding Brakes.

I decided to have the Servo refurbished.

A little information may be of help to other new owners.

Apparently during production a sealed for life servo was provided that is crimped together.

Mine looks to be crimped but if you look at the back joint between the two parts ( Facing the bulk head ) you will see circular cut outs.

Past Parts indicate that this type of unit can be separated and refurbished.

If you can not get the unit refurbished and will have to get an aftermarket version, best advise I had was from Revingtons.

They sell an alternative Servo but recommend that you also combine this with the master cylinder they provide as the TRW shafts don't line up ? No connection with Revingtons but have found them very helpful in the past and as they have workshop facilities for TR's always consider their advice worthwhile.

Steve also recommends TRshop in Chiswick for MC and Servo.

Phil

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

The crimped units aren’t “sealed for life” they are designed to come apart if you push the parts together and twist, a lot easier said than done. If you make up a tool to do this, watch out for the spring pressure as the two halves let go.

The first picture of mine shows indents which I wrongly assumed to be crimped.

The second picture shown that the drum can be rotated so the indents line up with the cut outs.

Having sent the pictures to Past Parts they confirm that this type of servo can be separated whilst other can not.

Assume as they appear to be the experts and recommended by people on this forum they know what they are talking about.

Phil.

7 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

The first picture of mine shows indents which I wrongly assumed to be crimped.

The second picture shown that the drum can be rotated so the indents line up with the cut outs.

Having sent the pictures to Past Parts they confirm that this type of servo can be separated whilst other can not.

Assume as they appear to be the experts and recommended by people on this forum they know what they are talking about.

Phil.

I suggest you do a search with regard to past parts first? also the new replacement master cylinders are all good now wherever you go  after the problems that Guy and myself got sorted.  

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update,

Servo and master cylinder received back from Past Parts turn around under 3 weeks, good service and communication.

Final cost considerably more than repro items but I'm happy to have the origionals back looking and performing like new.

Phil

With such safety critical parts I get refurbing a MC in the past given the issues with repro units but now they are resolved why bother when the costs are considered. Same for the Servos which for most won't be a DIY proposition, rusted thin in areas.

Unless you are dead set on originality I'd consider fitting new for peace of mind.

Just my two pennies worth! 

Andy

My understanding is that new cylinders do not fail in an unsafe manner nowadays, but are leaking after a couple of years. This may be related to infrequent use, would be nice (to keep us off the street) to start a poll.

Waldi

Leaking after a couple of years Waldi? Wow how disappointing, I had my original one refurbed at considerable expense after reading on forums about poor quality new parts so glad I did now - I hate doing things twice or paying good money for poor parts. Also still haven't had an answer from NTC regarding what I asked about what he knows about previous new part issues. 

Michael