Rear brakes lock easily on tr6

Hi I am new to the blog and have recently restored a 1975 TR6 in Chile. The car works great however I have an issue with the rear brakes, they lock easily and makes it difficult to handle sometimes. Do you think I should install a proportioning valve to get more control on back brakes and it so where can I get such a valve. Many thanks

Willie

Hi Willie,

Welcome to the forum.
How is the overall braking performance? If the front brakes are poor, the rears will lock quicker. Not the likely cause but worth checking. I would not fit a pressure regulator, but fix the issue.

Waldi

issue: brakes, no special model

Hi Willie,

a good point from Jockem, if not I have another idea.

Drum brakes tend very much to lock when the shoes are based "fix" on a pivot point.

You perhaps know that from motorbikes.

P1150558-b.JPG.3d7b427832c56a231e3154df7f7744f6.JPG

To avoid this the brake shoes on all cars I know are based on sliding points, so they hardly never lock.

P1150559-b.JPG.4542b39bffd1ef1e17c8a7564b4609a3.JPG

Make shure your brake shoes can move on the adjustor and are not fixed like on on pivot points for any reason (modification).

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

PDWA shuttle is not centred.   
PDWA is pressure differential activation valve.

If one brake circuit front or rear leaks the shuttle valve is forced to block the leaking circuit, so you still have half the car’s brakes.

.The valve Is a brass H shape under the bonnet with 4 brake pipes attached and one electric wire.

The shuttle needs re centring inside it if it is that causing the problem.

Cheers

Peter W

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

PDWA shuttle is not centred.   
PDWA is pressure differential activation valve.

If one brake circuit front or rear leaks the shuttle valve is forced to block the leaking circuit, so you still have half the car’s brakes.

.The valve Is a brass H shape under the bonnet with 4 brake pipes attached and one electric wire.

The shuttle needs re centring inside it if it is that causing the problem.

Cheers

Peter W

Sounds like this is his problem.easy to dislodge if bleeding too hard too.

Stuart.