Hi Harry, in a word, Yes, and, to be honest, I'd clean off all the whole panel and start from scratch with something like Bondarust or similar zinc rich primer just leaving the spot-weld areas completly clean until after the joint has been made, that way you can be sure of complete penetration and soundness of the welds.

I've recently cleaned off both Barstuk and Stanpart panels, it's quite surprising how many spidery watermarks the Barstuks have compared to the completly clean 50 year old  Stanpart panels still attached to my car!!. 

Cheers Rob

I was never successful in getting paint to stick to that black coating no matter how much I scuffed it. On the occasions that I just went ahead and primed over it anyway I now regret it as the paint will chip leaving the black coating just from looking at it funny. The same is true with panels that were primed to preserve them and then painted years later. Best to take off that old primer as by now it will be hard and new primer will not bond.

Stan

I always bare them too as theyre often rusty under the coating, also be aware that the Bastuck panels being thinner gauge and of modern high carbon steel will warp very easily when welding.

Stuart.

To add to the paint removal Y/N:

I was able to acquire a NOS boot lid for my tr6, it came in nice black primer and still had a sticker from new attached. When I removed some paint I was surprised to see the spiders of corrosion under the paint, also in area’s where the primer appeared to be “good”. It took a couple of hrs of sanding and wire brushing, but I got it clean.

Waldi

I always thought e coat only attached itself to clean metal.  Perhaps the spidering was from where rust had been etched to remove all rust or surface corrosion.
 E coat is conductive process so can be used as a basis for powder coating if a really durable coating is required.

https://www.eastmidcoat.com/services/electrophoretic-coating/

Genuine Jaguar panels through the 90`s on were E-coated and had stickers on saying do not remove but experience showed that there was often spiders under that too.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Genuine Jaguar panels through the 90`s on were E-coated and had stickers on saying do not remove but experience showed that there was often spiders under that too.

Stuart.

This is why I remarked on just how clean metal from the early 60's still remains today so long as it's subsequent paint coats have been un-damaged, I sure this is one of the reasons so many of our cars have survived.

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, Rob Salisbury said:

This is why I remarked on just how clean metal from the early 60's still remains today so long as it's subsequent paint coats have been un-damaged, I sure this is one of the reasons so many of our cars have survived.

Cheers Rob

The other problem is a lot of the steel nowadays has been recycled that many times it goes rusty as you look at it!

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

The other problem is a lot of the steel nowadays has been recycled that many times it goes rusty as you look at it!

Stuart.

It's funny that, .... I opened a can of beans yesterday with a label on it saying "metal re-cycles forever" ... I guess they should add "it may not be as good as it once was!!"

Rob

On 18 February 2020 at 1:55 PM, Rob Salisbury said:

Cheers Rob

Most didn't survive Rob, and most were as rotten as a pear after 10 years or even less  tbh. I think a lot of them only survived because they were dragged out of scrapyards and gardens by us enthusiasts and classic car lovers with the floors hanging out. The same goes for my TR which was ready for scrap when I bought it in 1983.

if you look at a car 20 years old today there's often not that much evidence of corrosion. 

Kevin

On 2/18/2020 at 6:11 PM, Rob Salisbury said:

It's funny that, .... I opened a can of beans yesterday with a label on it saying "metal re-cycles forever" ... I guess they should add "it may not be as good as it once was!!"

Rob

Back in the 90's one of the chaps that supplied British Airways with inspection equipment warned me to be careful with Brass and some Bronzes - they were becoming magnetic !!!

Very low level but it was being adulterated with iron.

Roger 

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Back in the 90's one of the chaps that supplied British Airways with inspection equipment warned me to be careful with Brass and some Bronzes - they were becoming magnetic !!!

Very low level but it was being adulterated with iron.

Roger 

Well I've been taking daily iron tablets recently, so maybe I'm becoming magnetic too! 

Kevin