New B-Post?

Hi 

I think I need a replacement LH B-Post front as there is probably too much work to repair the existing one:

B-Post.thumb.jpg.b67ad1d87ab54675b1f3b9c9bb6a3da0.jpg

I've read that the replacements are a poor fit and they are not that cheep

Do they need much cutting etc to get the door to shut correctly?

Thanks

Paul

They arent the best fit as the angles arent that good, I would repair the bottom area of the inner wing complete with the seat belt mounting then get a new "B" post rear section and fit that to the inner wing and butt up to the original "B"post but dont spot it to the front of the old "B" post then remove the front and fit the new one to the rear, that way you dont lose the angle which is critical.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
1 hour ago, stuart said:

They arent the best fit as the angles arent that good, I would repair the bottom area of the inner wing complete with the seat belt mounting then get a new "B" post rear section and fit that to the inner wing and butt up to the original "B"post but dont spot it to the front of the old "B" post then remove the front and fit the new one to the rear, that way you dont lose the angle which is critical.

Stuart.

Paul,

you have it from the bodywork sage, nothing to add, except well done you are doing the job right.

John.

Many Thanks for your advice, I'll get the parts (likely to be from Moss) and see how it goes.

I have another question with regards the seat belt anchor at the bottom of the B-post / Inner wing. There is no evidence of these on my car (63 TR4), were they fitted to all models? I will be fitting belts, so I intend to make and add these mounts, do they fit  similar to the TR6 like this:

B-Post.thumb.jpg.2fd3727ac3b2af1fdd35fa685d08ec1b.jpg

Thanks

Paul

11 minutes ago, gloide69 said:

Thanks for the picture

It was the picture of the part on the Rimmer Bros web site that is confusing me, as I can't see how this would fit.

image.png.d3f7224df3ce9c2cfffe66c9a6534bea.png

That said, I should be able to make something similar to do the job

Thanks

Paul

That’s not the correct shape that’s why it doesn’t look right, this from Moss catalogue is a better illustration of its shape .

Stuart

D05CE808-022A-4FDA-9D57-BDB96B919424.jpeg

15 hours ago, gloide69 said:

Many Thanks for your advice, I'll get the parts (likely to be from Moss) and see how it goes.

I have another question with regards the seat belt anchor at the bottom of the B-post / Inner wing. There is no evidence of these on my car (63 TR4), were they fitted to all models? I will be fitting belts, so I intend to make and add these mounts, do they fit  similar to the TR6 like this:

B-Post.thumb.jpg.2fd3727ac3b2af1fdd35fa685d08ec1b.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Paul - my 1962 TR4 didn't have any seat belt mountings at the bottom of the B post, but it did have 2 holes which are filled with rubber grommets in the photos below. However there was a strengthening plate with two threaded holes in the wheel arch itself - see photos 

I've also photoed a 4A arrangement which uses the bracket as ID-ed in Stuart's response with the image from Rimmers

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich

IMG_2869.jpg.10af5a04831b5d03e6e9ae3befd6517e.jpgIMG_2868.jpg.115677b2bd1e00e20ce102e384782fa8.jpgIMG_2867.jpg.83fa1b7b84d31fc7faa879836457e083.jpgIMG_2865.jpg.d85b0c71958a453e4b6befae7ab369a4.jpgIMG_2866.jpg.4a50cbce9e21e8876a9b3b84a760db15.jpg

42 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

The seat belt mounting on the 4/4A is in the wheelarch, on the 5 & 6 it is in the floor - that is probably causing confusion.

Jerry

No its not as my first picture is a TR5 "B" post.

Stuart.

Time playing tricks on me, I was nearly right. The 5 & 6 has it in the inner sill just before the B post, wouldn't you agree Stuart?

Point is, it's in a slightly different place than the 4A.

I found this out making the moulds for my wheelarch liners as I used a 6 for the buck, tested the fit on my 5 and then discovered the 4A had an extra strengthening bracket for the seatbelt mounting which meant I had to modify the mould. Curses.

Jerry

15 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Time playing tricks on me, I was nearly right. The 5 & 6 has it in the inner sill just before the B post, wouldn't you agree Stuart?

Jerry

Correct, the later TR5 type is easier to fit as well.

Stuart.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:30 PM, stuart said:

That’s not the correct shape that’s why it doesn’t look right, this from Moss catalogue is a better illustration of its shape .

Stuart

D05CE808-022A-4FDA-9D57-BDB96B919424.jpeg

From memory there are two types of seat belt anchor- the one shown in Stuart's photo (and exploded view above) is "late" the other "Z" shape is "early" - both TR4/4A mind, although its fair to suspect that the late type was carried over to the '5.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Some Progress,

I've gone for the later type seat belt anchor plate, as my new B-Post Back was notched to accommodate it.

I followed Stuart's advice and fitted the B-post back first and then the front, but it took me all day to get them close to fitting.

I still need to work on the top and bottom of the front, where it fits with the sill and rear deck but I thought I'd try fitting he door latch to see if the door would close. Unfortunately the door hits the latch, as thought the B-Post is too close, but it can't go any further back. It looks to me as thought the depressions in the B-post are not as deep as the originals.

Has anybody come across this? and what is the best way to correct it? (try to deepen the pressing, or cut and re-weld the flange)

Thanks

Paul

IMG_0686[1].JPG

IMG_0689[1].JPG

IMG_0687[1].JPG

Can the door go further forwards?. You really could do with the car up on stands as well rather than on its wheels as unless your chassis is in good condition you may have some twist going on. Get it up with the stands under the chassis in line with the wheels front and back and then level the whole thing up fore and aft and side to side then see where everything fits.

Stuart.