Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

Yep, been there done that!

My most painful experience driving with aeroscreen was back in 2006 (before the higher screens and lower seals were fitted) when me and a good mate went to CLM with the Camb Followers  (or 'Camp Flowers' as I call them) with just the aeroscreens fitted, bit of a risk!  Well, 30 miles out from Arnage we hit a rainstorm on the motorway and at 75 mph that stuff and the road spray really hurts, we slowed to about 30 mph and it still hurt! 

At Arnage it was still raining, so up went the brolly when we stopped at traffic lights but we were soaked through; the French pointed, waved and laughed at the eccentric Englishmen in their funny little red car and took photos! 

An hour later at Maison Blanche campsite we were trying to dry out in the sun and having a well deserved brew:

Cheers, Andrew

20265514_CLM2006.thumb.JPG.41cde3cff1d323f8bf658ca566594411.JPG

I enjoyed my Aeroscreens too, untill I got stung on the nose by a hornet while driving :o , its my fault for having such a dainty nose (small children shelter under it when it is raining) ;)

cheers

Alan

A few years ago, I bought a 57' TR3 and a TR8, in the Manchester area, on the same day.

The 8 went back to France on a trailer, towed by my 4x4, both followed by me, driving the 3 with top down,  back to France.

A storm, a dead dynamo and a night later, I was back home : it was rather funny to follow my trailer by night on the motorway, without lights at all,  and just enough power in the battery for ignition...

Edited by Chris59
On 2/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, Chris59 said:

A few years ago, I bought a 57' TR3 and a TR8, in the Manchester area, on the same day.

The 8 went back to France on a trailer, towed by my 4x4, both followed by me, driving the 3 with top down,  back to France.

A storm, a dead dynamo and a night later, I was back home : it was rather funny to follow my trailer by night on the motorway, without lights at all,  and just enough power in the battery for ignition...

Hi Chris

Its Wonderful that your old 4X4 managed to find its way home without a driver :D years ahead of the Google autonomous car experiements, you should have patented the idea Chris you would be a billionaire by now :D:D

:D  Alan ;)

Eli

Fuel in France is high in Ethenol E10 which can play havoc with some rubbers in the fuel system, had the same problem with my Passat after visiting Chris in the north a few years ago. You need to check the flexible, the rubber seal in the fuel tap (if it has one) and any other rubber in the fuel line and replace it with Ethenol resistant items

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog
further info

The tap should have a cork seal. If it has been dry of petrol for some time then it will have shrunk& & so will not seal.

There is adjustment on it, you tighten up the nut to squeeze the cork to make it shorter but fatter.

I replaced my cork with a short length of suitable size fuel tubing, has not leaked in the last 7 years.

Bob

28 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

Eli

Fuel in France is high in Ethenol E10 which can play havoc with some rubbers in the fuel system, had the same problem with my Passat after visiting Chris in the north a few years ago. You need to check the flexible, the rubber seal in the fuel tap (if it has one) and any other rubber in the fuel line and replace it with Ethenol resistant items

Cheers

Alan

16 minutes ago, Lebro said:

The tap should have a cork seal. If it has been dry of petrol for some time then it will have shrunk& & so will not seal.

There is adjustment on it, you tighten up the nut to squeeze the cork to make it shorter but fatter.

I replaced my cork with a short length of suitable size fuel tubing, has not leaked in the last 7 years.

Bob

Thanks guys. The car has only been in France for a couple of weeks but yes, I plan on replacing all the rubber fuel lines.

I found this video really helpful 

The seal must be fubar as the car was running with the tap pushed down in "off" position. I've spotted some tape on the side of the stem. Bodge City here we come! 

I've pulled it out to "on" and cleaned around it. I filled the tank to the brim yesterday and have only done 50mi since... :angry:

158357878650934.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
23 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

Fuel in France is high in Ethenol E10 which can play havoc with some rubbers in the fuel system

And the fuel consumption!!! Myself and three friends thought we had a petrol leak but no, Just burning it out the back. Tried to go a bit slower.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, EliTR6 said:

Côme on chaps, could we please leave it be? 

Let's focus on me, me, me :rolleyes:

Might have found some 2nd hand black steel wheels which would get me closer to my desired look for a lot less than new wires... 

Congratulations on your purchase VFF 998 is in safe, good hands! Another sidescreen TR has gone to a good home. And well done for such nice writing and photos. Makes for a very enjoyable read.

Years ago, I bought OGB 800, a Scottish, Glasgow, short door TR2, which had chrome wires fitted by its previous owner in the 1980s, the late Stuart Jenkins. I immediately sold them to Martin, a fellow Oxford Group member and bought as-good-as-new steel wheels, 4 1/2 Js and fitted 165s Pirelli Cinturatos, I think. Very suitable for motorsport. Wires look good, chrome ones, 60- or 72- spoke, too blingy, in my view, and I would feel less confident with them.

If you can find near perfect original steel wheels like Ken Mumford's, buy them, but you have to watch out for deformation, and for cracks. Itherwise, you could get Minilite-style alloys. Also expensive, and for some, they spoil the overall appearance. For me they don't. They add to it.

Actually -- let's face it -- it's also a very personal matter of choice.

3 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Just been for a good 20min drive, tap still dry and petrol smell is gone. 

Wahey! 

Result!

I tend to not touch the fuel tap as it has a mind of its own regarding leaking ...or not.  It is useful if you are to fix the fuel pump and the tank is full.

Cheers

Peter W

46 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Result!

I tend to not touch the fuel tap as it has a mind of its own regarding leaking ...or not.  It is useful if you are to fix the fuel pump and the tank is full.

Cheers

Peter W

Leaking again... Grr

Sorry to be boring about this but I tried everything with the cork seal and other mods. In the end I opened up the tap in the workshop and soldered it in the open position. It has never leaked again but of course now I can not turn it off.

It looks correct any way. 

Richard & B

1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

Leaking again... Grr

Thread on tap repairs in 2011 

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/28836-petrol-taptr-2/&tab=comments#comment-210996

Peter W

On 2/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, EliTR6 said:

I'm pleased you guys enjoyed reading abut our first adventure!

I have a few questions for the electricity boffins:

My car is negative earth, I figure installing a battery cutoff on the - terminal would be more useful than the +

It looks like the old voltage regulator has been completely bypassed, am I right?

The disconnected bullet on the brown wire is from the former dynamo?

There's a green wire lose from the mini fusebox. Could be why my fuel gauge is reading funny. Reconnect?

I think I'll eventually put a small new fusebox in and relays for the headlamps and electric fan. 

Bonus question: Has anyone found black painted wire wheels in 4.5J or 5J?

Thank you!

158205077833445.jpg

158205062276426.jpg

158205079971697.jpg

158205082034173.jpg

158205083998142.jpg

Eli, just wondering about the carbs. Obviously, judging from the plastic black dashpot plunger tops, they're SU HS6s. At least one of them is. Does the one at the front -- perhaps it is the camera angle - have a different shape? If so, the one at the back would be TR4A era, the other one, with the shorter stem and wider pot?

On 3/7/2020 at 6:39 PM, David Brancaleone said:

Eli, just wondering about the carbs. Obviously, judging from the plastic black dashpot plunger tops, they're SU HS6s. At least one of them is. Does the one at the front -- perhaps it is the camera angle - have a different shape? If so, the one at the back would be TR4A era, the other one, with the shorter stem and wider pot?

I'm think it's the angle. Didn't have time to play with the car today unfortunately. Girlfriend won't get in unless the hood is up when it's cold... :mellow:

158370481962058.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
8 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

I'm think it's the angle. Didn't have time to play with the car today unfortunately. Girlfriend won't get in unless the hood is up when it's cold... :mellow:

158370481962058.jpg

Had to be, but weird thing, perspective which also suggests a simple, practical, mod. Type of filter making engine breathe better. Less restrictive ram pipes, with air going in through Piper or ATG foam filters.

1 hour ago, David Brancaleone said:

Had to be, but weird thing, perspective which also suggests a simple, practical, mod. Type of filter making engine breathe better. Less restrictive ram pipes, with air going in through Piper or ATG foam filters.

I'm more interested in making sure she's doesn't go up in flames right now. Will sort out the fuel tap and the tired loom before thinking about air filters. 

And she pulls like a train already! B)

On 3/7/2020 at 11:43 AM, Kiwifrog said:

Eli

Cheers

Alan

Yes, but we have SP98 with 5%, although I accept it is not at all pumps.