Jump to content

Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

18 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

There's a killer on the road? 

Yes, too many lunatic truck and van drivers on the roads.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, EliTR6 said:

Bonus question: Has anyone found black painted wire wheels in 4.5J or 5J?

MWS (Motor Wheel Service) have a selection of wires available for the TR2, in both silver and black. Link HERE. (A rattle can is equally effective ;)).

If you've not fitted them before, MWS also have a very useful guide HERE.

Also, a wire wheel balancing tool HERE, should the lad at your local Kwik Fit give your wheels a vacant stare when you arrive for a tyre change!

Cheers, Deggers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok as a mod I,ll try a different tack, I,ll hide the contentious posts fro both you Tom and you Andrew, because it's getting a bit personal.

If you two want to PM each other and try to sort out the misunderstanding that would be great.

Meanwhile the rest of this really good thread can continue.

I realise that this may simply alienate both of you, that is not my intention, simply to carry on the thread.

John.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Ok as a mod I,ll try a different tack, I,ll hide the contentious posts fro both you Tom and you Andrew, because it's getting a bit personal.

If you two want to PM each other and try to sort out the misunderstanding that would be great.

Meanwhile the rest of this really good thread can continue.

I realise that this may simply alienate both of you, that is not my intention, simply to carry on the thread.

John.

John, I'm done.

All the best, Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Not quite sure what happened there 

Hopefully all parties can move on now

Thanks for the links deggers. The wheels aren't an urgent project. I'm tempted by the tr shop offer in 5.5j black. 

I thought about buying second hand wires and painting them but it would probably be a false economy. 

Windscreen is off and aeroscreen (only one, 2nd one is in the post) is on! 

2 hours ago, Deggers said:

MWS (Motor Wheel Service) have a selection of wires available for the TR2, in both silver and black. Link HERE. (A rattle can is equally effective ;)).

If you've not fitted them before, MWS also have a very useful guide HERE.

Also, a wire wheel balancing tool HERE, should the lad at your local Kwik Fit give your wheels a vacant stare when you arrive for a tyre change!

Cheers, Deggers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard Green 54 said:

As a new member to this forum I think this post needs to get back on topic.

The title of this thread was a quote from the Doors "LA Woman" album: my comment was bang on-topic. And in more ways than one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fireman049 said:

Here's a personal appeal to all TR Register Members:

Can anyone please tell me where either of my postings we're 'Funny'??

Last week a baby boy was killed in a car crash on Anglesey ~ there's nothing funny in that.

Please let me have your opinions ~

Tom.

 

My thoughts chime with yours Tom. I recall that you have pulled corpses out from under trucks as a profession. Driving an unknown TR through a rain storm is just inviting a terrible accident , even without any fault on behalf of the driver. In normal wet weather the fatal accident rate on our roads rises 15%. Peter

Link to post
Share on other sites

Côme on chaps, could we please leave it be? 

Let's focus on me, me, me :rolleyes:

Might have found some 2nd hand black steel wheels which would get me closer to my desired look for a lot less than new wires... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had wires for many years and there was a slight click on the RHS. It was only by replacing the hub extensions and the wheels at the same time that the noise went away. I also had mine painted body colour and this was great for a few years but there is a lot of cleaning with the toothbrush and it is a bit boring.

However on the plus side  if it gets down to this level of maintenance it means that the carbs,ignition ,starting, brakes, steering, lights, dynamo, condenser, regulator ,battery, tyres and instruments are all working well.

Enjoy the car and summer is coming.

Good luck Richard and B

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli keep up your posts as they are interesting and will remind many of us what we went through with new purchases. There by you will gain lots of good advice and helpful info .

ignore the playground antics of some on here and enjoy the helpful postings from those who know and pass on good info.

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, EliTR6 said:

Wow. Not quite sure what happened there 

Hopefully all parties can move on now

Thanks for the links deggers. The wheels aren't an urgent project. I'm tempted by the tr shop offer in 5.5j black. 

I thought about buying second hand wires and painting them but it would probably be a false economy. 

Windscreen is off and aeroscreen (only one, 2nd one is in the post) is on! 

The difference of driving with aeroscreens to a standard screen is like chalk to cheese. 

Fit a lower seal to the aeroscreen if you fancy,  it stops the rain running down the demister vents.

Taller glass is a benefit ( the aftermarket aeroscreens have a lower height glass than factoy aeroscreens) if you are tall and have well padded seat cushions. - I have a PDF of the tall glass, copied from an original factory aeroscreen you can use as a pattern if interested, a local glass shop can usually cut and shape .  PM me if interested.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Do not forget he old TR addage " 'oods is for 'oofs and MG owners. "

PPS Drive and enjoy.

Aeroscreen fitted.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The difference of driving with aeroscreens to a standard screen is like chalk to cheese. 

+1 for that.

I fitted aeroscreens 7 years ago and have never gone back,  but you do occasionally need a big brolly as Hamish showed in another recent thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic drift..

I have been asked to put out my instructions for lower seal kit and the pdf template of the tall aeroscreen glass.

To use the screen glass template print it out twice, cut around top and side shape,  tape two half prints together at the correct width for your aeroscreen frames.

Cheers

Peter W

Lower Seal instructions.pdf Orig tall glass.pdf tall glass 2.tiff

Glass half007 LH.pdf Glass half007 RH.pdf

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Added two more pdf files of glass - hope these work.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately Pete, the Templates pdf seems to be just a single page splash screen for downloading Acrobat. There doesn't seem to be any other content.

Edited by RobH
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RobH said:

Unfortunately Pete, the Templates pdf seems to be just a single page splash screen for downloading Acrobat. There doesn't seem to be any other content.

See original post I have changed the file

Added two more pdf files of glass - hope these work.

Peter W

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully these photos will give you an idea of aeroscreens fitted with the higher glass - these were Brooklands screen frames machined to replicate the ST originals made for my TR3A by Tom Maddocks:

P1010083.thumb.JPG.c9fb7ca77e30e7e4429cd78e3081b636.JPG

P1010085.thumb.JPG.20db946d6cb68d272c87aee22ae7319e.JPG

Edited by Andrew Smith
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

. . . these were Brooklands screen frames machined to replicate the ST originals . . .

Very tidy Andrew! Sterling work by Mr Maddocks. (And a long empty country road to enjoy them on too. What's not to like? :))

Cheers, Deggers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.