Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Looks as though the lid has been fitted 180 degrees out :blink:.  Anyway, it doesn't appear very new considering the condition and the nick missing from the pipe on the right.  It is a pattern one with a with laminated cam arm by the looks of it, so not original equipment. 

Rob  - my understanding is that the laminated cam arm was OE equipment on TR4A models - the cast steel copper coated arm was fitted to all the earlier models. Dave Davies told me he had never come across an original laminated arm failing like a lot of the repros do/did. You can see the AC Delco name cast into the top of pump in the photo, so it appears to be a genuine part but I agree well used and abused by the look of it!

Cheers Rich

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

PXL-20210711-122919268.jpg

Thanks to @rcrewereadfor sorting out a quality fuel pump in record time. No visible leaks with the engine running but I'll keep an eye on it. 

Valves still clattering even after I sorted the clearances. Maybe I'm just being paranoid 

Will has chickenpox and I'm still working 6 days a week so most car and bike related jobs are not the priority right now. But I can't wait to drive the TR without filling up every 100mi! 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:22 PM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Difficult to say with mine because I know the mileometer is reading approx 30% low. But making allowances for that I reckon I got 20 mpg, or 100 miles on the last 5 gallons. Standard TR4 lump in the 3A, but 4.1 diff, and that was over a bit of mixed use with longest run of 20 or so miles.

Might put the sat nav in on Sunday and go for a good run to confirm mileometer inaccuracy and get a better handle on actual fuel consumption.

Ralph.

OK, a week late, but I have done 216 miles over the weekend, sat nav corrected miles, not guessed from mileometer. Turns out that for every 10 miles on the odometer the sat nav is telling me I have done 13.1, so my guess of 30% low was not far out. On the positive side it seems I have managed to get the speedo dead right ,checked at 30, 40, 50 and 60 mph on a long straight quiet road so I could hold the speed and make sure the sat nav had reacted. Speedo was reading 2mph high at 30, and 2 mph low at 60, so I am well happy with that.

I brimmed the tank on Saturday, Gauge was reading very empty on the bottom of the red, but only took 10 gallons (44.7 litres to be precise), so there must have still been at least a gallon left which means I have a good reserve, and at close of play yesterday the gauge was showing just under 1/4 full, so probably have at least another 30 miles left out of my 10 gallons, maybe more, which is giving me at least 25 to the gallon. I will go the the fuel station and brim the tank again to get the exact average.

Ralph

18 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Valves still clattering even after I sorted the clearances. Maybe I'm just being paranoid 

This winter when you are using the car less dismantle the rocker gear and check the rocker shaft for wear, the one on my car was quite worn which was causing my noisy tappets. Car would still easily rev to 5500 rpm even with noisy tappets.

cheers

Alan

7 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

This winter when you are using the car less dismantle the rocker gear and check the rocker shaft for wear, the one on my car was quite worn which was causing my noisy tappets. Car would still easily rev to 5500 rpm even with noisy tappets.

cheers

Alan

Hi Alan 

Hoping to build an decent garage this autumn so I have space to do all those little jobs I've been putting off. Waiting for my permis de construire... 

You can hear the tapping. I went around everything with a hose stuck to my ear but didn't find where its coming from 

Sounds like the usual TR tappet chatter to me. Certainly very similiar to mine - I recently renewed timing chain and tensioner. I have to retorque my cyl head in 500km so I shall have a look at the rocker shaft and rocker bushes when I take them off. :wacko:

james

8 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Hi Alan 

Hoping to build an decent garage this autumn so I have space to do all those little jobs I've been putting off. Waiting for my permis de construire... 

You can hear the tapping. I went around everything with a hose stuck to my ear but didn't find where its coming from 

Try using as long screwdriver or a piece of dowelling with something like an aerosol cap nailed to it as a sounding rod (assuming you don't have a stethoscope thingy) and then place it on the manifolds to ascertain if the noise is associated with the valve gear.  Your could also put it on the timing chain cover to see if the chain is the culprit.

Rgds Ian

On 7/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, Ian Vincent said:

Try using as long screwdriver or a piece of dowelling with something like an aerosol cap nailed to it as a sounding rod (assuming you don't have a stethoscope thingy) and then place it on the manifolds to ascertain if the noise is associated with the valve gear.  Your could also put it on the timing chain cover to see if the chain is the culprit.

Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian. I still haven't managed to track it down. The ticking increases with rpm, doesn't matter if I'm in neutral or in gear. I was certain it was the tach but I disconnected the cable from the distributor and its still there. Being stationary or on the move doesn't make a difference. It sounds like its coming from the back of the engine, front of the gearbox. It's a loud ticking noise, doesn't sound like a bearing to me. 

I had a quick listen with a stethoscope but couldn't pinpoint where it's coming from. 

The rocker shaft is a good call but I don't want to dismantle it just yet. 

Thanks all for the suggestions. 

Classic car meet in le touquet this morning then a 100mi round trip today to meet up with @Chris59and his crew from nord triumph club. Bombed up and down the motorway at 70mph, didn't use any oil or coolant, no overheating even in town despite the crazy hot weather. 

But the clicking is still there so I removed the rocker shaft.

PXL-20210718-164822653.jpg

The nuts holding the pedestals down were done up crazy tight and I found lots of metal swarf from the nuts and rough looking studs. 

PXL-20210718-165724134.jpg

PXL-20210718-172131133.jpg

PXL-20210718-172139788.jpg

Several of the pushrods have about 1mm deviation from top to bottom when set against a small steel rule. Is this acceptable? 

I did the usual rubbing the rod thingy to unstick them but got distracted and ended up toppling a cam follower on its side. Got it back up with a piece of wire, a torch and a lot of patience and cursing before realising that my fiddling had also moved the adjoining follower. 

All pushrods are now back in place and I'll refit the rocker shaft tomorrow evening. 

Hi Eli, c'était cool de vous voir tous les 3 aujourd'hui. Ton gamin est craquant !

I think you should also check the rockers too, their mating face with the valves might be the main source of the noise, as told this afternoon. 

Edited by Chris59
41 minutes ago, Chris59 said:

Hi Eli, c'était cool de vous voir tous les 3 aujourd'hui. Ton gamin est craquant !

I think you should also the check the rockers too, their mating face with the valves might be the main source of the noise, as told this afternoon. 

It was a lot of fun. Hope everyone made it home without too much hassle 

The rockers feel like they're a slightly concave shape 

PXL-20210718-210629148.jpg

PXL-20210718-210701092.jpg

PXL-20210718-210642925.jpg

PXL-20210718-210727013.jpg

No news about the chap who loose his TR4 engine oil, I'm not sure he made it home !

About the rockers, I'll reply in French, as I don't know the right English word : they need to be "pierrés".

The pedestals themselves seems to have seen better days !

I had a quick call with Jean-Christophe over lunch. He reckons the pedestals are toast and that new rockers are hit and miss in quality so best to resurface the old ones. 

I've found a couple of cheap used rocker assemblies so I'll hopefully be able to make ones good set out of 3 poor ones. 

A new shaft won't do any harm... 

PXL-20210719-112309812.jpg

How long do these shafts last for generally? 

I'm starting to doubt that it had a full engine rebuild 10k miles ago (but 30 years ago). 

The TR shop sells complete rocker assemblies for a reasonable price.

I fitted one a few years ago, & am quite happy with it. No pedestals though.

Bob