Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Probably about right on short trips if your using it fairly hard in between. You obviously have a heavy right foot!

Stuart.

Almost never wide open but often half throttle I suppose.

I'll have to try pootling until the next fill up to see if it improves.

@Hamishwhat do you get with yours on a fast run?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

i have a very heavy lead boot and i do go hooning it around - i know its hard to believe !!

but i don't actually know what MPG i get i tend to not fill it and run it down as i like to have just 2 or 3 gals in it ready for competition.

and i darn work it out.

i would guess at about 20 on the shell v power.

H

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

i have a very heavy lead boot and i do go hooning it around - i know its hard to believe !!

but i don't actually know what MPG i get i tend to not fill it and run it down as i like to have just 2 or 3 gals in it ready for competition.

and i darn work it out.

i would guess at about 20 on the shell v power.

H

Haha, wise man.

Edited my earlier post as I'm using the slightly leaner TW needles, not SM.

I'm still stumped, especially when I see TR4 owners claiming 30-35mpg.

Just now, EliTR6 said:

Haha, wise man.

Edited my earlier post as I'm using the slightly leaner TW needles, not SM.

I'm still stumped, especially when I see TR4 owners claiming 30-35mpg.

i tend to have mine on the rich side and its set up on a rolling road by a man that knows how to profile needles with emery and polish.

the 4 drivers will get that much as that model only does 50mph :ph34r:

i'm only joking.................:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

i tend to have mine on the rich side and its set up on a rolling road by a man that knows how to profile needles with emery and polish.

the 4 drivers will get that much as that model only does 50mph :ph34r:

i'm only joking.................:rolleyes:

:lol:

Eli,

I have a TR4, on short local trips 1 liter/ 7,5 to 8.9 km, 

mixed use 1;10  

high-way (peagé) only  speed 80 mijl  (125km/u) in 4 overdrive top down 1;12 

real life excel-sheet....

Marcel

image.thumb.png.957fb4fe76b2a030a6c322d3678103e5.png

Edited by Quicksilver
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver said:

Eli,

I have a TR4, on short local trips 1 liter/ 7,5 to 8.9 km, 

mixed use 1;10  

high-way (peagé) only  speed 80 mijl  (125km/u) in 4 overdrive top down 1;12 

real life excel-sheet....

Marcel

image.thumb.png.957fb4fe76b2a030a6c322d3678103e5.png

Thanks Marcel 

I'm still using 30% more than you on short trips 

Drove home gently after watching the first half of the football at a friend's house. Felt like I was posing, didn't like it 

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving like a terrified pensioner 

15mpg, it's even worse! 

Can modern fuels evaporate through the tank filler neck (e98) ? 

Absolutely thrashed the car on the way home from the petrol station, much more fun! 

Tappets are a bit noisy, will adjust tomorrow. Could this make such a big difference? Car goes like stink 

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Been driving like a terrified pensioner 

15mpg, it's even worse! 

Can modern fuels evaporate through the tank filler neck (e98) ? 

Absolutely thrashed the car on the way home from the petrol station, much more fun! 

Tappets are a bit noisy, will adjust tomorrow. Could this make such a big difference? Car goes like stink 

15 mpg is rather thirsty! Are you sure that you don't have a small leak somewhere ?

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

15 mpg is rather thirsty! Are you sure that you don't have a small leak somewhere ?

George 

The fuel bowl has a bit of petrol on it, I'll order a new gasket ASAP and check the tank connections

No visible leaks to speak of though 

Edited by EliTR6

Difficult to say with mine because I know the mileometer is reading approx 30% low. But making allowances for that I reckon I got 20 mpg, or 100 miles on the last 5 gallons. Standard TR4 lump in the 3A, but 4.1 diff, and that was over a bit of mixed use with longest run of 20 or so miles.

Might put the sat nav in on Sunday and go for a good run to confirm mileometer inaccuracy and get a better handle on actual fuel consumption.

Ralph.

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

I am a pensioner, but not terrified. When hoofing my 3A on local roads I get about 25mpg which goes up to 30 on a run. Fairly well set up 4A engine and inlet manifold, HS6 carbs and four branch exhaust arrangement with overdrive.

Got its French MOT this week, with a clean nasty remarks section. I have to admit to a bit of auto-satisfaction !

james

Edited by james christie
18 minutes ago, james christie said:

I am a pensioner, but not terrified. When hoofing my 3A on local roads I get about 25mpg which goes up to 30 on a run. Fairly well set up 4A engine and inlet manifold, HS6 carbs and four branch exhaust arrangement with overdrive.

Got its French MOT this week, with a clean nasty remarks section. I have to admit to a bit of auto-satisfaction !

james

That is about what my TR3A returns

George 

What have we here?... 

Tank connections etc all bone dry 

Looking forward to getting this fixed quickly

PXL-20210703-130507725.jpg

The tilt lift does make it all very easy once you can be bothered to use it 

PXL-20210703-131757538.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
20 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thanks Peter 

Here's hoping it's a simple fix... 

If it's just the gasket, it will pay for itself within a mile or 2!

Tappets are done, 0.010 inlet and outlet. All had a tiny bit of slack, but number 8 was very loose. 

PXL-20210703-144807061.jpg

11 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks Peter 

Here's hoping it's a simple fix... 

If it's just the gasket, it will pay for itself within a mile or 2!

Tappets are done, 0.010 inlet and outlet. All had a tiny bit of slack, but number 8 was very loose. 

PXL-20210703-144807061.jpg

If your Land Rover has a mechanical fuel pump it may we’ll be the same seal for the sediment bowl.   The seal alone is available or in the fuel pump rebuild kit.

Peter W

PS be very careful not to drop the glass sediment bowl!   They definitely do not bounce.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

If your Land Rover has a mechanical fuel pump it may we’ll be the same seal for the sediment bowl.   The seal alone is available or in the fuel pump rebuild kit.

Peter W

Thanks but it's a leccy pump in the big six pot 

I need to check the landy's tappets too but it's not as easy as on a TR. Inlet over exhaust with the exhaust valves supposed to be adjusted hot. Help! 

18 hours ago, harlequin said:

Eli

Since it looks like the fuel pump is a little suspect it may be worth checking your oil for fuel, these pumps can leak fuel into the engine when the seals get old

George 

Thanks. Nothing showing up on dipstick, smells OK. 

Found this in the box of spares that came with the car. I'm not sure whether it's new and unused or an old pump that was replaced by the current one. 

PXL-20210704-132851335.jpg

PXL-20210704-133103962.jpg

Looks as though the lid has been fitted 180 degrees out :blink:.  Anyway, it doesn't appear very new considering the condition and the nick missing from the pipe on the right.  It is a pattern one with a with laminated cam arm by the looks of it, so not original equipment. 

Edited by RobH
48 minutes ago, RobH said:

Looks as though the lid has been fitted 180 degrees out :blink:.  Anyway, it doesn't appear very new considering the condition and the nick missing from the pipe on the right.  It is a pattern one with a with laminated cam arm by the looks of it, so not original equipment. 

Thanks Rob 

I'm going to order a couple of ethanol compatible rebuild kits and hope I can make one of the two whole again