Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Serious question, can you anchor a baby seat....maybe 2?

Legally it would definitely be a no no. I'm not even sure of the legality of a baby seat in the front attached with seat belts that aren't original to the car. 

I built the rear seat for my better half for very short trips with the boy up front in his car seat. Looks like it will be her driving and me following on the bike :D

1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

Legally it would definitely be a no no. I'm not even sure of the legality of a baby seat in the front attached with seat belts that aren't original to the car. 

I built the rear seat for my better half for very short trips with the boy up front in his car seat. Looks like it will be her driving and me following on the bike :D

A little bit of genius there.:lol:

I fitted a child seat in my TR3.  Top straps over the tank top to a cross brace.  Bottom straps to floor below and back  to the tank front edge.

The ‘dog shelf’ was kept and the child seat sat on it attached to the straps.

That was 1980 though and the law has changed significantly since then.

Peter W

5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I fitted a child seat in my TR3.  Top straps over the tank top to a cross brace.  Bottom straps to floor below and back  to the tank front edge.

The ‘dog shelf’ was kept and the child seat sat on it attached to the straps.

That was 1980 though and the law has changed significantly since then.

Peter W

Gone are the days of wrestling your siblings in the back of the giant American estate wagon, out of reach of your parents'[ backhand.

37 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Gone are the days of wrestling your siblings in the back of the giant American estate wagon, out of reach of your parents'[ backhand.

Bet you miss all that plastic stick on wood.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e530c90e991045b74de8700a0d1b8c33.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0a2276027bf5c383b52637fa68f1cc99.jpeg

Mmmmm nice styling

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
11 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Just need to tidy up those wires dangling under the overdrive switch.  :D

Bob.

Driving must always be a priority over “tidy” if you are allowed to!!

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Just need to tidy up those wires dangling under the overdrive switch.  :D

Bob.

I think you've all figured out by now that tidying isn't my strong suit

I've just pulled the terrible twins out to sort out my tip of a garage

20210204-173036.jpg

43 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

I think you've all figured out by now that tidying isn't my strong suit

I've just pulled the terrible twins out to sort out my tip of a garage

20210204-173036.jpg

Eli, it’s not a tip of a garage it’s just differently organised at least that’s what I tell my wife when she complains about mine

On 2/4/2021 at 7:16 PM, Kiwifrog said:

Eli, it’s not a tip of a garage it’s just differently organised at least that’s what I tell my wife when she complains about mine

Tried this line. It was a dead end! 

Doesn't help that Bérengère is a neat freak and I'm the polar opposite 

Browsing through an old magazine I spotted an interesting ignition key in this works car. Does someone know anything about this type of key? The fob on mine keeps on getting in the way of my gear changes. I balance it on the starter knob but it's not an ideal solution. Thanks! 

20210204-230128.jpg

20210204-230121.jpg

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

The fob on mine keeps on getting in the way of my gear changes. I balance it on the starter knob but it's not an ideal solution. Thanks! 

Here's one way. The nut is slightly loose so the keys swivel and the end of the screw is peened to stop it coming undone. keys.thumb.jpg.7957bcbc871b124e85eaef55bc618470.jpg

Edited by RobH
On 2/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, RobH said:

Here's one way. The nut is slightly loose so the keys swivel and the end of the screw is peened to stop it coming undone. keys.thumb.jpg.7957bcbc871b124e85eaef55bc618470.jpg

That's pretty neat. Thanks Rob

Will be good for stopping the bike keys flapping in the wind too

No work on the car this weekend, just a massive tidy-up of the shed. 

I've got a slight whining from the rear passenger side but needed to clear space to work before getting started. I'll measure the end float this week if its not too cold. 

This was before 

20210206-193202.jpg

And now 

20210207-121753.jpg

20210207-121721.jpg

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

I've got a slight whining from the rear passenger side but needed to clear space to work before getting started. I'll measure the end float this week if its not too cold. 

This was before 

And no

It's not unusual to have a slight whine from the passenger side.

Rgds Ian