Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Credit to you, Eli.

I've only thought about TR'ing.

All teh Best for 2021.

John.

Cheers 

I always feel so guilty taking the car out in the rain but then I force myself to remember most old cars have seen much worse! 

It's very damp where we live and we're just by the sea so the garage is well ventilated and has a dehumidifier working around the clock

Sounds like the bonnet stay going into resonance. I wrapped some rubber tape around the middle of mine to damp it down.

The other possibility is the bonnet hinges - the pins may be loose in the bonnet part.

Bob.

What about the felt between the bonnet and the rear stiffening rib?. That was missing on mine and rattled at certain revs.

Ralph.

Very irritating and have been down that path. Two most likely (but not exclusive) causes are the bonnet spring / plunger and surprisingly the set up of the bolt securing the bonnet stay to the bonnet.

As part of my tracking down and sorting my rattle (which I only could hear when the car was stationary / idling) I found an article detailing a solution. I will PM it to you unless anyone can tell me how to attach a pdf file here. Also lubricating the plunger might help.

Secondly, Peter W, highlighted the bonnet stay issue and kindly sent me a diagram of the order and types of washers to use to eliminate the rattle. I think that may still be in my lock up somewhere so not readily available but Peter may be along here or worth asking.

EDIT - File attached hopefully!

Bonnet Rattle Solution copy 1.pdf

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Thanks all. Should have some downtime this weekend. 

Took a friend's 6yo out for a spin as he was feeling a bit down. Cold tyres, wet weather and too much loud pedal while attempting to slide the back end round a wide corner (very slowly) ended up with the car facing the wrong way. Luckily we were both fine and the rear of the car came to a stop on the kerb with a small bob from side to side. No heads or hubs harmed (I think).

The car normally feels so progressive but this shows how easily and quickly the rear end will let go. Another lesson learned... 

I told my mate out of earshot of his mother. I'm stupid but not that stupid! 

18 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks all. Should have some downtime this weekend. 

Took a friend's 6yo out for a spin as he was feeling a bit down. Cold tyres, wet weather and too much loud pedal while attempting to slide the back end round a wide corner (very slowly) ended up with the car facing the wrong way. Luckily we were both fine and the rear of the car came to a stop on the kerb with a small bob from side to side. No heads or hubs harmed (I think).

The car normally feels so progressive but this shows how easily and quickly the rear end will let go. Another lesson learned... 

I told my mate out of earshot of his mother. I'm stupid but not that stupid! 

Welcome to the TR going backwards club.

My first spin in a TR was in the Earls Court one way system in 1972 on Cinturato tyres ( I have since avoided them) The day was cold and wet.  No damage apart from my pride.

Second was again on Cinturato tyres and the rear wheel got bent.  (Redhill one way system) The tyres went the next week and were replaced by the spectacular Dunlop SP Sports.

Peter W

Not spun a TR more than a bit and that was a TR3 on very old tyres but spun a few Jaguars, a MK1 in the middle of winter pitch black and managed a full 360 without hitting anything, caught it and carried on albeit more slowly that was on Cinturatos funnily enough, a MK2 on a diesel spill on my way to work one morning but that was on crossplies  which was my excuse! and a MK1 XJ6 on snow on Dunlop SP sports. Oh and a Forward control Landrover on ice!

Stuart.

Last car I spun was a GBS zero (500 kg  200 bhp) with my 22 year old car mad son as a passenger. Did a full 180 in the damp on a small country crossroads, managed to convince him it was on purpose, went straight home to change underwear :D

Well if we are all sharing. This was my last spin it’s about 3.40 in

very graceful I’ll think you’ll find.

Not spun the TR but have spun my MG midget with its K-series engine. Tyres we took old and hard and road was greasy. My excuse. 

Tim

Not the 3A (especially with all that understeer) but turned my manual XJS 180 degrees once.  Narrow, dipping road with a sharp right hand bend covered by a pool of water at the back of Kings Cross, pre-development of all places. In too much of a hurry. Fortunately, no traffic about at the time. Did surprise me though.

Miles

On 12/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, stuart said:

Not spun a TR more than a bit and that was a TR3 on very old tyres but spun a few Jaguars, a MK1 in the middle of winter pitch black and managed a full 360 without hitting anything, caught it and carried on albeit more slowly that was on Cinturatos funnily enough, a MK2 on a diesel spill on my way to work one morning but that was on crossplies  which was my excuse! and a MK1 XJ6 on snow on Dunlop SP sports. Oh and a Forward control Landrover on ice!

Stuart.

Happy New year to all! Wishing 2021 will be a huge improvement on 2020 for all of us! 

I would have loved to have witnessed all of the above! 

I spun my old 3 door range rover on black ice once. The speed at which it happened is the lasting memory of it. No time to react at all. 

My job for the weekend is to start on the leaking brake cylinder and rust proof and repaint the pedal box. 

20210101-164707.jpg

Not to hijack Eli's thread (I only want to borrow it for a few minutes). Speaking of 180s and 360s, here's the Anti-skid School, 1960:

On 12/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Lebro said:

Sounds like the bonnet stay going into resonance. I wrapped some rubber tape around the middle of mine to damp it down.

The other possibility is the bonnet hinges - the pins may be loose in the bonnet part.

Bob.

I had the same rattle. It started at the Malvern International. In my case the answer was to move the bonnet location pin attached to the front apron. A light sanding and some copa slip and the rattle disappeared. 

Richard & B

16 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Happy New year to all! Wishing 2021 will be a huge improvement on 2020 for all of us! 

I would have loved to have witnessed all of the above! 

I spun my old 3 door range rover on black ice once. The speed at which it happened is the lasting memory of it. No time to react at all. 

My job for the weekend is to start on the leaking brake cylinder and rust proof and repaint the pedal box. 

20210101-164707.jpg

Looks as if youve also got a brake pedal return spring missing too.

Stuart.

19 hours ago, ckeithjordan said:

Not to hijack Eli's thread (I only want to borrow it for a few minutes). Speaking of 180s and 360s, here's the Anti-skid School, 1960:

.....and the Red Tr3a is one of the works team cars from 59. The instructor is Rob Slotemaker, also a Triumph works driver in many events.

My first spin in the TR was on the spur road joining the M4 at Jn8/9, an over full fuel tank and fuel spilt onto the offside rear vis the overflow as I booted it off the round about.......all very embarrassing, thankfully no damage done except to ones pride!

Iain

Edited by iain
21 hours ago, ckeithjordan said:

Great vid, thanks for sharing! 

I need to order some new tyres. Mine have full tread but are 10 years old so unfortunately they have to go. 

Onto the task at hand. Lots of peeling paint and some surface rust here. 

I removed what I could with sand paper then degreased the surfaces several times before applying two passes of hydrate 80 from bilt hamber, a rust converter. It turns black as it cures. 

I'll give it a coat of chassis black tomorrow. It won't be the prettiest but it will be solid! I would rather sand back an ugly paint job than weld in new metal! 

And yes, @stuartthat spring had always been missing. On the to-do list now, cheers ^_^

20210102-112051.jpg

20210102-121847.jpg

20210102-125116.jpg

20210102-200150.jpg

20210102-200239.jpg

Edited by EliTR6