Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

Eli

To get the choke to lock on remove the split pin from the clamp where the cable connects to the carb and pull the peg still attaced to the cable from the linkage, then turn the peg one revolution clockwise (looking to the front of the car) and reinsert the peg into the linkage.

This puts a twist into the cable that will lock the choke in any position, to adjust the choke give it a slight twist anticlockwise and push or pull.

George 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

14 hours ago, harlequin said:

Eli

To get the choke to lock on remove the split pin from the clamp where the cable connects to the carb and pull the peg still attaced to the cable from the linkage, then turn the peg one revolution clockwise (looking to the front of the car) and reinsert the peg into the linkage.

This puts a twist into the cable that will lock the choke in any position, to adjust the choke give it a slight twist anticlockwise and push or pull.

George 

Thanks George

I'll have a go this week

15 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

The od works well with an immediate kick so I'll be extra careful switching in and out. 

Getting there...

Always engage overdrive with throttle on never on a trailing throttle, same for disengaging always keep power on, especially prescient with A type.

Stuart.

If the choke still doesn't stay out after doing what George said, you will have to re-shape the ratchet notches in the brass rod also check the "Band" spring which presses into them.

Bob.

Haven't looked at the choke cable yet but there's now a clothes peg in the drivers side pocket

Apologies for the continual lopsided photo. Only happens on this forum. 

I've fitted a layer of thermo-tec heat and sound insulation as I still haven't bought carpets and the short run the other day pretty much gassed me. 

20 litres of new fuel certainly helped with the rough running. I'm hoping to take the car out for a longer drive tomorrow. 

160710111952232.jpg

Took the car for a 20min run on Saturday morning. Started easily enough, no more rough running. Ran great, OD works perfectly, new sound matting means I can barely hear the 'box whine and no more fumes creeping into the cabin.

I had charged the battery a couple of weeks ago, and during Saturday's drive the voltmeter showed around 14V when the car was running.

Thought I would be brave and take the TR to work this morning. It was mighty cold on Saturday afternoon (I went surfing, it wasn't pleasant) and overnight and a bit milder yesterday. Froze overnight and around -2C this morning.

Battery was bought brand new in February, I always switch it off with a switch to the -ve terminal.

Turn the battery on this morning, ignition key and the alternator warning lamp lights up as usual. Pushed the starter button and nothing happened. Voltmeter shows only 12V so not a great sign.

I've put the battery on to charge this morning and will try again at lunchtime. 

The car is garaged and it's cold but hardly the arctic circle either. Isn't it odd for a nearly new battery to fail like this?

45 minutes ago, Lebro said:

If voltmeter read 12V while you had the starter button pushed, then yes you have a wiring / solenoid / switch problem, not a battery problem.

Bob.

Thanks. Jiggled all the wiring and it turns over now. 

All the wiring is new but maybe it's got a bit oxydised. Or the solenoid is on its way out. 

False hope. Back to no starting again. Checked battery, 12.7V. 

Will pull the switch out from the dash before replacing the relay. 

The screws holding the solenoid on the bulkhead have always been slightly loose. Will check its still earthed too. Hopefully a simple fix! 

Doubly frustrating being stuck in the office. I can't fix the car but I can't get any work done either as I'm too busy thinking about the car! 

Edited by EliTR6

One of the screw heads holding the solenoid had sheared off. I had wondered by the relay was always at an angle now I know. Annoyingly, the +ve battery cable was a bit on the short side so I made a new one up and managed to get the broken screw out with pliers. Put everything back together and all is well. 

Ive got a 2nd hand smiths voltmeter to fit to replace my current cheapo one. 

Needle didn't move when I installed it this evening. I've removed it again and get 119 Ohms resistance across the terminals which seems to be correct. 

I'll try again tomorrow wiring it straight to the battery. 

Edited by EliTR6
9 hours ago, David Owen said:

Hi Eli,  is this the best option for heat and sound?

Hi David. I don't know if it's the best but it is relatively thin, seems to work well and wasn't that expensive.

I used a high temp and vibration resistant glue to stick it down. Maybe one day I'll get around to fitting a proper set of carpets!

Here's the link for where I bought the insulation from:

https://www.racingmotorshop.fr/moteur/echappement/isolant-acoustique-et-thermique/21849-isolant-accoustique-et-thermique-cool-it-thermo-guard-120x180cm.html

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Hi David. I don't know if it's the best but it is relatively thin, seems to work well and wasn't that expensive.

I used a high temp and vibration resistant glue to stick it down. Maybe one day I'll get around to fitting a proper set of carpets!

Here's the link for where I bought the insulation from:

https://www.racingmotorshop.fr/moteur/echappement/isolant-acoustique-et-thermique/21849-isolant-accoustique-et-thermique-cool-it-thermo-guard-120x180cm.html

Thank you very much.

7 hours ago, David Owen said:

Thank you very much.

Pleasure 

Christ, it was cold driving home tonight. 

I must wire up the heater. 

You can see the effectiveness of @Lebros led bulbs 

Ps: I think I've found a solution to post my photos the right way up! 

IMG-20201210-201848-903.jpg%20

20201210-183834.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
16 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Pleasure 

IMG-20201210-201848-903.jpg%20

20201210-183834.jpg

Are those UK spec headlamps?   They look like they are lighting the LH side of the road.   Or middle of the road if you use them when driving on the wrong side of the road as you need to in France.

Peter W

4 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Are those UK spec headlamps?   They look like they are lighting the LH side of the road.   Or middle of the road if you use them when driving on the wrong side of the road as you need to in France.

Peter W

Hi Peter

Well spotted! Yes, I still haven't gotten around to fitting French headlamps. 

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Pleasure 

You have no idea how much enjoyment I get out of telling MG drivers that Oh yes, the taillights were handmade by this first rate custom shop in the UK.

Bob really should be charging more for them  Especially since I already have mine. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas. We all had covid tests this week and were lucky to be able to spend Christmas eve and Christmas day with family. 

I took the bike out on Xmas eve, it was nice and dry out. And the bike started first kick, I felt immensely proud!

But I still needed to scratch my TR itch. Unfortunately the weather gods aren't with us this week but I got the old girl suited and booted and we went for a 30min drive. 

It didn't leak as much as I had feared, just a bit of water coming over the top of the windscreen. 

Happy days! 

Seasons greetings to all my forum friends! 

20201226-122812.jpg

20201226-124058.jpg