Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

No need to panic yet, is your photo showing the actuating lever area and solenoid plate.

thats bolted to the od, might need tightening, or there is a gasket behind,might be leaking or the plate might be buckled,

lots to check before anything too major, but you are correct it's too big to leave.

Trouble is, sure you have other considerations just now!

John.

Its quite difficult to get that side plate to seal as the gasket faces are very thin around it. I would hope if its a rebuilt box that when you remove the drain/filter plug you dont get any nasty surprises.

Stuart.

11 hours ago, John Morrison said:

No need to panic yet, is your photo showing the actuating lever area and solenoid plate.

thats bolted to the od, might need tightening, or there is a gasket behind,might be leaking or the plate might be buckled,

lots to check before anything too major, but you are correct it's too big to leave.

Trouble is, sure you have other considerations just now!

John.

160001773745162.jpg

160001783540786.jpg

Yes, it looks like it's coming that's area.

We've had a bit of a scare here. In hospital since yesterday evening, little Will is OK but he's still in observation until tomorrow. When things settled down later on this week I'll take the seats and tunnel out and have a good look. The car is not the priority right now but would like to have it running again soon. 

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Its quite difficult to get that side plate to seal as the gasket faces are very thin around it. I would hope if its a rebuilt box that when you remove the drain/filter plug you dont get any nasty surprises.

Stuart.

Here's hoping that it's an easy fix with the box in situ! Fingers crossed 

55 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Why the blob of red paint on the nut. Is it a marker done by the gearbox rebuilder to check things were not taken to bits thus nullifying the warranty 

Peter W

It's been useful to help situate the leak in any case! 

I won't touch anything until I've spoken with the supplier but it's always helpful getting the forum's take so I know what to look for and what we're talking about.

My voyage of discovery continues... :blink:

On 9/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, RobH said:

No harm at all in doing that. The relay coil draws very little current. 

Thanks 

Getting ready for a fault finding mission this weekend. Went for a quick drive this afternoon, leaked after the drive but oil level is just below the filler so should be fine. Overdrive worked perfectly for the first 10 minutes then refused to engage. 

Warning lamp switches on so solenoid is getting power. I had unbolted the tunnel before the drive so took it out as soon as I got home and could see the solenoid arm moving up and down when the switch is engaged (engine off, ignition on). 

Any tips on what to look for? 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:37 PM, Lebro said:

Adjustment of the operating arm slightly out perhaps ?

Bob.

Managed to negotiate a free hour to tinker with the car. Took it for a spin with the tunnel out. Overdrive still sticking when warm. I could get it to work by pushing down on the operating lever but it felt like I was pushing past something. 

Got home, disconnected the prop and ran it for a bit on 4th. Everything working as it should be. Lever moves fore and aft with little resistance and roadspeed dropping and rising with the overdrive. 

I used a drill bit and adjusted the solenoid just in case but it didn't seem out by much. 

I'll take it for another spin this evening if I can. 

The cover plate will need to come off to fix the leak annoyingly. 

@BlueTR3A-5EKTthe red paint is a warning that there is a powerful spring on the other side so must be undone with caution! 

9 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

...there is a powerful spring on the other side...

Eli,

You probably know this, but I think you need to undo all the nuts a bit at a time, so the plate comes off “Square”, otherwise it is possible to bend or even snap the plate if you take the nuts off fully one at a time because of the spring.

Charlie

3 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Eli,

You probably know this, but I think you need to undo all the nuts a bit at a time, so the plate comes off “Square”, otherwise it is possible to bend or even snap the plate if you take the nuts off fully one at a time because of the spring.

Charlie

Thanks. I want to make sure my od issue is sorted before removing the plate 

How do you push it back on? 

18 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

How do you push it back on? 

Ah…

I’m quite good at taking things apart, but not so good at putting them back together…

There must be an expert here who can answer that (Maybe even tell me that I’m 100% wrong in what I said).

It was one of those things I read “Somewhere”, but can’t remember where.

Charlie.

Here we go:

“The cover that retains the humongous accumulator spring was removed next. It is secured by two bolts to the rear and two nuts on studs toward the
front and must be removed properly so that it is not bent or distorted. Caution, the operating valve must be operated and released a half dozen times using the lever or solenoid to relieve the pressure before removing the operating valve plug or the cover plate. The nuts on the studs on the forward side of the bracket were removed first. Then the two bolts were unscrewed alternately a little at a time such that the plate comes off relatively straight "

That was taken from:

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/

There is a whole section about rebuilding Overdrives and “Part 3” deals with putting it all back together again.
I guess the answer will be somewhere in there.

Charlie.

50 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Ah…

I’m quite good at taking things apart, but not so good at putting them back together…

There must be an expert here who can answer that (Maybe even tell me that I’m 100% wrong in what I said).

It was one of those things I read “Somewhere”, but can’t remember where.

Charlie.

That makes two of us! 

I couldn`t get my overdrive to function using the setting hole, it simply  was not moving  the lever far enough. I had to set it slightly forward of the setting hole, and I put it down to wear in my used OD gearbox, but if yours has been re built I wouldn`t have expected that to be the case.

Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, 2long said:

Ok Eli, you have been too quiet lately.  Hope the new Dad gets a chance to enjoy the ocean and tinker with the overdrive on the 3A!  Here is a water shot from a glassy day last week to get you thinking of the crystal blue again.

Dan

8B42269A-3B66-4110-9703-EBC62D1B1171.jpeg

Hi Dan! Thanks for the nudge 

I managed to fit in a really cool session last Thursday after work with a buddy. 

This video was taken on Saturday but similar swell. Nothing like what you have but very awesome (and sadly rare) for around here. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CF7MYbBoKqq/?igshid=1a6kde67qs2jg

I haven't had much time to work on the TR but I've managed to steal away for 30min here and there. 

Most of my time at home is taken up watching these two sleep. 

160192032228052.jpg

160191958064916.jpg

It was leaking from a side of the solenoid plate, bought some oyltite and applied liberally! 

It isn't pretty but it has stopped the leak. I don't know if it will still be the case under pressure but at least the gearbox isn't leaking all over the garage. 

I reconnected the prop this evening and started figuring out where I'm going to cut out access holes in the gearbox tunnel. 

And idle fingers and all that... Bought this unseen. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Seller has a 4a so can't be a complete crook, right? 

160191989119103.jpg

Weather is going to be dreadful for the next few days but I hope to take the car for a test drive this weekend. 

Edited by EliTR6
4 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Hi Dan! Thanks for the nudge 

I managed to fit in a really cool session last Thursday after work with a buddy. 

This video was taken on Saturday but similar swell. Nothing like what you have but very awesome (and sadly rare) for around here. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CF7MYbBoKqq/?igshid=1a6kde67qs2jg

I haven't had much time to work on the TR but I've managed to steal away for 30min here and there. 

Most of my time at home is taken up watching these two sleep. 

160192032228052.jpg

160191958064916.jpg

It was leaking from a side of the solenoid plate, bought some oyltite and applied liberally! 

It isn't pretty but it has stopped the leak. I don't know if it will still be the case under pressure but at least the gearbox isn't leaking all over the garage. 

I reconnected the prop this evening and started figuring out where I'm going to cut out access holes in the gearbox tunnel. 

And idle fingers and all that... Bought this unseen. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Seller has a 4a so can't be a complete crook, right? 

160191989119103.jpg

Weather is going to be dreadful for the next few days but I hope to take the car for a test drive this weekend. 

Well you know that will leak oil.

Rgds Ian