Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

31 minutes ago, ijonsson said:

Oops, didn't see that :unsure:, but Eli said earlier that it is of steel.

He was referring to the drain plug, which is steel with a square head.

Bob.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions 

Cold chisel just cuts chunks out of the plug. No joy 

Short term, could I empty from the drain plug and refill via the axle breather if I measure out 850ml of oil? 

If you can get the breather undone then its possible but I would think it would be very slow.

Stuart.

44 minutes ago, stuart said:

If you can get the breather undone then its possible but I would think it would be very slow.

Stuart.

Let alone grubby. The breather thread is 1/4" or 6mm I think.

Slightly off the wall now.  Do you have access to a blow torch to heat up the plug?  If not do you have any plumbing freezing spray to chill the plug?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pipe-Freezing-Spray---240g/p/424922

Peter W

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Let alone grubby. The breather thread is 1/4" or 6mm I think.

Slightly off the wall now.  Do you have access to a blow torch to heat up the plug?  If not do you have any plumbing freezing spray to chill the plug?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pipe-Freezing-Spray---240g/p/424922

Peter W

It's out! I tried freezing spray yesterday but it was the blowtorch this evening that did the trick. 

Looks like replacement plugs are nla from the usual suppliers and a standard steel plug will be too small. 

Other cars of the period must have used the same bronze item. Anyone have any ideas of where to find one in better condition? 

Of course, the diff is full of oil. All this effort for nought :rolleyes:

Edit: 159889394679701.jpg

This looks like it should fit. I take it a  later girling plug 114774 won't work? 

Not a lot of meat left on these bones. There wasn't a fibre washer either. 

159889402784700.jpg

Edited by EliTR6

File off the stub parallel so a spanner will fit properly. Re-use it with a fibre washer- it doesn't need to be done up very tight, there is no pressure in there because of the breather - it's only filling up the hole. 

Order a new one at leisure.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

File off the stub parallel so a spanner will fit properly. Re-use it with a fibre washer- it doesn't need to be done up very tight, there is no pressure in there because of the breather - it's only filling up the hole. 

Order a new one at leisure.

+1 Reshape the top so you can use a spanner on it.  I think the addition and use of the fibre washer is important. 

Do not overtighten.

Peter W

59 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

+1 Reshape the top so you can use a spanner on it.  I think the addition and use of the fibre washer is important. 

Do not overtighten.

Peter W

Thanks. It's back on temporarily but I don't have any washers lying around.

I'm going to order a new steel plug, hopefully it will fit and seal OK although I don't see how it can work with a washer. There's always ptfe 

159889394679701.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
3 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks. It's back on temporarily but I don't have any washers lying around.

I'm going to order a new steel plug, hopefully it will fit and seal OK although I don't see how it can work with a washer. There's always ptfe 

159889394679701.jpg

Plumbers merchant for the fibre washer.

It provides a seal without being excessively compressed by tightening.

Peter W

300626 is a standard taper thread BSP plug, should be available from any plumbers merchant. It relies on the thread getting tighter as it is screwed in and as it has no flange it will not work with a washer. PTFE tape for that one if you must, but generally they are just screwed in without.

Ralph

11 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

300626 is a standard taper thread BSP plug, should be available from any plumbers merchant. It relies on the thread getting tighter as it is screwed in and as it has no flange it will not work with a washer. PTFE tape for that one if you must, but generally they are just screwed in without.

Ralph

Thanks. I tried our local French plumbing shop and found a contender that unfortunately ended up being a tad loose. I've refitted the old plug with a fibre washer, hopefully this will keep me honest until a new plug arrives. 

I took the car to work and back this afternoon. It's only a few miles but it was great to be back behind the wheel. 

Engine is pulling well and the new gearbox settling in with a very immediate but smooth overdrive operation. Big smiles! 

I'm planning to leave home early tomorrow morning and go for a proper drive before work!

I'm planning to leave home early tomorrow morning and go for a proper drive before work!

Hey Eli, how long to go before your babby's born?

51 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Due date is Saturday! Had a false alarm yesterday morning. 

Last lunch on the beach for me today 

159904853847833.jpg

Amazing to think this is just about to happen! Probably some time will have to be sacrificed, and willingly so. Sacrificed? Poor choice of vocabulary.

Your car looks nice, you've done so much work in so little time. A race against time, perhaps? All in the nick of time I'd say.

4 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Amazing to think this is just about to happen! Probably some time will have to be sacrificed, and willingly so. Sacrificed? Poor choice of vocabulary.

Your car looks nice, you've done so much work in so little time. A race against time, perhaps? All in the nick of time I'd say.

Thanks. Someone was hoping that the tr's suspension would hasten things up a bit! 

159906849298289.jpg

Thanks. Someone was hoping that the tr's suspension would hasten things up a bit! 

159906849298289.jpg

She's SO COOL!!!

Hi

Photo brought back memories!

My wife drove me in my triumph spitfire to childbirth classes so I could have a glass or two of wine.

She could still get behind the wheel at 9 months. didn't hasten the arrival of our first child who was 2 weeks late!

Tim

Quick update: baby William arrived yesterday, all are well. 4kg08, he's a bit of a bruiser! 

Here in France they keep the baby and mum for 4 to 5 days so we're making the most of the downtime together. 

He'll certainly travel in the land rover before his first trip in the Tr but I've been ordered to stick to the golf for the time being anyway!  

Edited by EliTR6