Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

What Alfa is it, I wonder? Very unusual looking and wire wheels! And the black sidescreen TR with red trim. Very nice too.

+1 LIKE :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, DavidBee said:

What Alfa is it, I wonder? Very unusual looking and wire wheels! And the black sidescreen TR with red trim. Very nice too.

+1 LIKE :)

Not sure. It had a superleggera badge so must be a Touring coach built model. Probably a 1900 sprint. Rare and expensive! 

This is in le touquet. Lots of vintage bugattis live here but I didn't take any photos of them this time. It was a great meet 

5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

For the novelty of the Simca press button gear selctor....

I could live with a Facel Vega.  I'd prefer an HK500 though.

French body with American grunt.

Peter W

image.thumb.png.2dcc9cfafa3221044b36aeba98de11d8.png

The red one is for sale but for far too much. Its been regularly featured in a French Agatha Christie series as poirots car for the past few years 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, EliTR6 said:

Thanks everyone. I had a small window of free time this evening and I've compared the 2 gearboxes. 

To help any future brainiacs who are wondering what we're talking about, thanks to everyone's help I've realised that it's nothing to do with the cover but the step is on the end of the reverse selector rod inside the top cover. 

This is the old box, it's a sharp step that the lever has to be helped over to select reverse. 

159751513490872.jpg

The new one is hard to make out in the photos but it's more of a ramp. The resistance is there but is easily overcome. A new spring has been suggested. 

159751542755407.jpg

I've just taken the car for a test drive,  everything works and the gears feel (too?) tight. 3rd and 4th need a bit of a push to slot in. Might the clutch need adjusting? 

The car is looking more and more like a racecar with its missing passenger seat! 

159751575356298.jpg

Knew  I had seen this issue referred to in the factory service bulletins. - build your own selector stop - have fun drilling and inserting the button in case hardened reverse actuator!  Original were phosphor bronze so easy to work with.

See page 42 onwards of the linked pdf for how to modify your reverse actuator when they wear.

http://tr3a.info/PDFs/1954bul.pdf

Cheers

Peter W

On 8/22/2020 at 8:13 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Knew  I had seen this issue referred to in the factory service bulletins. - build your own selector stop - have fun drilling and inserting the button in case hardened reverse actuator!  Original were phosphor bronze so easy to work with.

See page 42 onwards of the linked pdf for how to modify your reverse actuator when they wear.

http://tr3a.info/PDFs/1954bul.pdf

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter. I think that is slightly above my abilities right now :mellow:

Bought a fancy split gearbox tunnel but neither it nor the old tunnel will fit over the new box. Grrrr

Would drilling a large hole and fitting a grommet over where I think it's sitting proud be a good idea? The new cover is fibreglass. 

159837515311383.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

Thinking aloud here. I guess I could hammer out the old metal cover but the new fibreglass one either fits or it doesn't. Another frustrating and expensive setback 

Posted August 16

How I did mine.....

Take a Body file the lump of gearbox bell housing that hits the tunnel.  

Hammer with Ball pein on the Inside of the tunnel to create a bulge.  Do it on sand bag if you want to support it nicely.

Slacken gearbox and the front engine mounts and lever the power unit forward as far as possible will gain a bit of space too.  Check nothing gets snagged or trapped. Re tighten mounts after.

Cheers
Peter W

7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Posted August 16

How I did mine.....

Take a Body file the lump of gearbox bell housing that hits the tunnel.  

Hammer with Ball pein on the Inside of the tunnel to create a bulge.  Do it on sand bag if you want to support it nicely.

Slacken gearbox and the front engine mounts and lever the power unit forward as far as possible will gain a bit of space too.  Check nothing gets snagged or trapped. Re tighten mounts after.

Cheers
Peter W

My bad. Thanks Peter. I did a search for ballpean earlier so it stuck in my subconscious :D

Did you take a photo of the lump after filing? Cheers 

Result! My dad gave me a starter hammer and dolly set years ago. I used it today for the first time to give the gearbox bulge the clearance it needs and to flatten all the bent tunnel flanges. 

I've added a strip on insulting foam all around and everything just fits apart from the headlamp dipswitch carrier which will need a corner cut down to clear the tunnel. 

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Feeling quite fed-up here. Our first baby is due within the next 10 days and work is manic so I really need to get the card sorted ASAP. 

I made the mistake of adding up how much the car has cost me so far. More than most of the very nice tr3s for sale :(

Of course, I've now got a seemingly healthy engine with new recon carbs, solid chassis, pretty much rust free body with nice patina, new recon gearbox with a type OD, new loom with relays and an extra fusebox and of course Bob's led conversion, new interior trim with new bucket seats, roll bar and new windscreen and hood. 

I've learnt a huge amount thanks to you forumites but I know need to get everything working again, fit new carpets and then hopefully just enjoy it.  

Onwards and upwards! 

I have learned over the years that, as with boats, that is one of those calculations you should never do.

However, you have achieved an incredible amount in a short space of time and now have a car that you know inside out and which should be reliable,  you should be proud of yourself.  Added to all that, you have also  kept us all enthralled with your reports....well done, and thanks!

All the very best with the upcoming adventure.

Dave

My experience has always been that the cars that are being sold may look nice but inevitably there are expensive j9bs that will need doing when you buy them. Much better to buy a slightly cheaper car and do some work and understand and solve its issues. 

Tim

I started with a wreck of a donor car, and only thing I have used is the main tub and bulkhead. I have a box file bulging with receipts and many items have been purchased without receipts. I dare not add it all up, but I know that had the money been available all at once I could have gone out and bought a running car. However doing it my way I have spread the cost over 4 years and (mostly) enjoyed building the car a bit at a time. I know every bit of the car inside out, what is right and what is not, and despite any faults can be proud of the fact that I did it all myself, and its has given me a hobby with a return at the end in so much as I have a tangible item with a value. Hopefully it will be finished to use next year and I can enjoy driving it whilst I start working again on another project.

Ralph

13 hours ago, Dave Herrod said:

I have learned over the years that, as with boats, that is one of those calculations you should never do.

However, you have achieved an incredible amount in a short space of time and now have a car that you know inside out and which should be reliable,  you should be proud of yourself.  Added to all that, you have also  kept us all enthralled with your reports....well done, and thanks!

All the very best with the upcoming adventure.

Dave

I would echo Daves thanks Eli. Really enjoyed the progress reports, you have done

a lot in a short space of time, time for you now to put some smiles/miles on you and the car.

All the best with the new arrival.

John.

+1 :)

Very well written, and up there with the best, in terms of consideration for other owners, with such a detailed and meticulous photographic documentation.

When you get time in the distant future, there must be enough material there to propose to the Editor a series of good, informative, articles.

Well done, Eli! And congratulations for the babby.

Edited by DavidBee
Typo

Thanks chaps 

I wasn't fishing for compliments but always nice to read some positive comments. 

The land rover has spoilt me. Had it for 5 years, don't even know where the fusebox is. Crazy. I just service it every year, check the levels from time to time and only use it once a month but it starts on the button and tick over is silky smooth.