Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

14 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Gonzo! 

Wow, haven't posted for almost a month. The tr3 is pretty much my daily driver but I've been working 6 days a week and often 12 hours a day so haven't done anything apart from drive it. 

The throttle sometimes sticks open at full bore. It's happened a few times on 4th. Accelerate hard and lift off the gas but it keeps pulling. Drop into neutral and the revs are bouncing off the redline. Killing the ignition then tapping the throttle before jump starting in 4th mostly cures it. 

The linkage doesn't seem to be fouling anything and it happened once on a 100mi run last Sunday and twice on a 80mi drive today. 

Do you think it's inside the carb? Could something be stopping a piston from dropping back down? 

Got some lithium grease for my new old wanner gun. Will grease the trunnions before a 500mi trip next week. 

Typical wear on the carb spindle as it exits the butterfly at either end, it gets notchy and sticks on full throttle as the spindle pushes across at full piston lift. The clue is the car starts ok when bumped after tapping the throttle, with no vacuum on the piston it drops back and the throttle spindle can relax.

Mick Richards 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Typical wear on the carb spindle as it exits the butterfly at either end, it gets notchy and sticks on full throttle as the spindle pushes across at full piston lift. The clue is the car starts ok when bumped after tapping the throttle, with no vacuum on the piston it drops back and the throttle spindle can relax.

Mick Richards 

Thanks. Carbs are reconditioned with only a few hundred miles on them. But the quality has been very disappointing so far. 

I'll disconnect the linkages and see if they feel sticky on Sunday. 

Put new spark plugs today, drove 60mi. 1 and 3 look good but 2 is completely black. 

I only had 3 new plugs but checked 4 and it also looked a good colour. 

Car pulls like a train. Nice and smooth, definitely not running on 3 cylinders. 

New needles (tw) and jets. 

Plugs are bp6hs gapped to 32 thou with electronic ignition 

15938042621879.jpg

159380418745272.jpg

I found this thread but there was never an update 

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/51110-baffled-for-reason-no1-spark-plug-running-sooty/#comment-416675

Edited by EliTR6

Apologies, this thread is turning into a stream of consciousness but it helps me figure things out. 

When reassembling the new carbs I noticed that one of the throttle spindles had a notchy feel to it. I put it down to new tight bushings and thought the return spring would overcome any resistance. 

And I guess the sooty plug could be caused by a weak spark. I measured the resistance of the plug lead, got 5k ohms, same as the next lead.

1 hour ago, EliTR6 said:

Apologies, this thread is turning into a stream of consciousness but it helps me figure things out.

Eli, I personally like this thread. I think it's daring, interesting, a diary full of insights, ups and downs of real life, generously illustrated, no need for any apologies. I was actually wondering why there was such a gap since your last post. Now I know: you were worked off your feet. The sticking carb; could it be something to do with the cable?

8 hours ago, DavidBee said:

Eli, I personally like this thread. I think it's daring, interesting, a diary full of insights, ups and downs of real life, generously illustrated, no need for any apologies. I was actually wondering why there was such a gap since your last post. Now I know: you were worked off your feet. The sticking carb; could it be something to do with the cable?

Thanks David! 

It's definitely spindle related. I've disconnected the linkage clamps and the rear carb is notchy. 

I'm hoping it's just the throttle linkage bar sticking. 

I'll take the carbs off tomorrow. 

I have been helping a friend re-assemble an Alpine engine, & today I assembled the twin stromburgs onto the manifold using the supplied gaskets.

When I checked the throttles for syncronisation one of them had a "sticking point". on investigation the butterfly was just catching on the gasket. Trimming the hole in the gasket, using a scalpel, to be flush with the manifold hole cured the problem.   Just a thought that this may be your problem ?

Bob.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Eli,

I too would give a 10 out of 10 for your posts,

so useful and what TR'ing, with its learning curves etc., is all about.

John.

Agreed it's this sort of post and the friendly help that makes this forum so addictive 

George 

Cheers everyone! One day I'll have to write a proper recap of everything I've learnt thanks to the forum 

I'm not sure if this little imperfection was to blame but the dremel made quick work of it! 

159395087336921.jpg

Also maybe I had overtightened the nuts holding the carb body onto the manifold. It was moving fine after reassembly until I tightened all the nuts. Backed them off a tad and it was better. So one side could have been putting some stress on the link rod. 

I'm getting everything ready for our road trip tomorrow! Still have to grease everything this afternoon. 

159395121396254.jpg

4 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Cheers everyone! One day I'll have to write a proper recap of everything I've learnt thanks to the forum 

I'm not sure if this little imperfection was to blame but the dremel made quick work of it! 

159395087336921.jpg

Also maybe I had overtightened the nuts holding the carb body onto the manifold. It was moving fine after reassembly until I tightened all the nuts. Backed them off a tad and it was better. So one side could have been putting some stress on the link rod. 

I'm getting everything ready for our road trip tomorrow! Still have to grease everything this afternoon. 

159395121396254.jpg

You know it will be the one thing you didn`t take that breaks. It is an unwritten rule of life.

Ralph.

26 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

You know it will be the one thing you didn`t take that breaks. It is an unwritten rule of life.

Ralph.

My spirit is already broken :D

Greased p/s easy, d/s nothing would go in! It will have to do for now, leaving early tomorrow morning. 

38 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

It does! The photo of your wife reflected in the dial is pure GENIUS!!

And what's the strange (octagonal?) castle?

8 hours ago, DavidBee said:

It does! The photo of your wife reflected in the dial is pure GENIUS!!

And what's the strange (octagonal?) castle?

Gisors. Nothing of note apart from the castle ruins. 

We're a bit further south now, near la roche guyon and giverny. 

The gearbox started making a noise this afternoon, I stopped a few miles down the road and it was bone dry! 

Put in 800ml on 20w50 and seemed ok during the 10mi to the next hotel. Holding thumbs! 

159413629336336.jpg

9 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Gisors. Nothing of note apart from the castle ruins. 

We're a bit further south now, near la roche guyon and giverny. 

The gearbox started making a noise this afternoon, I stopped a few miles down the road and it was bone dry! 

Put in 800ml on 20w50 and seemed ok during the 10mi to the next hotel. Holding thumbs! 

159413629336336.jpg

If it was dry off the dipstick you might want to re-check it now and top up again.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

If it was dry off the dipstick you might want to re-check it now and top up again.

Stuart.

Thanks. I did when we got to the hotel. Really hard to make out the clean oil on the dipstick but the max level dimple had a drop in it. Will keep an eye on it 

Here's where we've been today. 

Bee is 7 months pregnant and isn't a fan of classic cars but handled the breakdown very well. I was a lot more worried than her. Maybe she was hoping to get a comfy modern replacement car for the trip home!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWvdx4qCYH/?igshid=fj9lh52ncqy9

Giverny tomorrow for Monet's gardens then Château Gaillard, a 12th century castle which was built for Richard the lion heart. 

Only 150mi to home and I've got 4 litres of oil left, good job the engine barely uses any. 

Wish us luck!