Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

6 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

That is a very nice photo!

Quite right. Make the most of what's good. Looking good. Grey skies, howling winds, rain in Ireland. But our TR Family is out there.

Blue skies and red meat here in frogland! My one day this week not working on the car, enjoying the new Hilary Mantel in the shade. 

Edited by EliTR6
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Blue skies and red meat here in frogland! My one day this week not working on the car, enjoying the new Hilary Mantel in the shade. 

KST 277 stranded under lock and key, kept safe by TR Bitz while I have been felling a 10-trunk fir with a Canadian axe to make a space in our drive-in for the TR3 under a lean to carport made in Fermoy, with powder coated steel struts to go on a concrete hard standing. Cleared with wife who had imagined a horrible looming dark structure blotting out the little sun that shines over Ireland from time to time. 8 down, 2 to go.

IMG-20200403-WA0028-01.png

20200404_193555-01.png

15 minutes ago, james christie said:

Have chain saws been banned in your corner of this world?

Looks like sporting work to me!

james

Yes it really is! That's what my other friends say too. I just don't have one. I've developed a unique method. Chipping to form a cutting V edge with hatchet, move in with several swings to fell most of the trunk, then saw off lingering bits with bow saw. The Canadian axe was a bundled in special offer 6 years ago. If you bought the saw, you got the axe, for only marginally more. Well, I was embarrassed. I could hardly lift it then. Too much sedentary work had had its toll.

So I resolved to get fit enough to wield it.

"What are you going to do with that!!?" was the embarrassing question. I went red in the face. It was meant to be funny, but you do hear dreadful stories, don't you?

On 4/4/2020 at 5:45 PM, DavidBee said:

And very nice it is too. Amazing how perspective can be so misleading.

Now you've pointed it out, I can see the egg-shaped switch. (I know the push-pull would be TR2). I am left wondering if there's any real distinction between the two greens, other than the name. A green with a fair amount of black mixed in, in both cases. One's Brexit Green, the other, Irish...

Was the Overdrive Switch on TR2 different to the egg shaped of TR3???

How should the TR2 overdrive switch look like?

16 minutes ago, Lebro said:

TR2 O/D switch is the same item as the panel light switch. the knob is the same shape, but it says "Overdrive"

Bob.

Or is it Overdrive Pull?  

Cheers

Peter W

PS I know we have done this but when did TR2 get a red line on the Tacho at 5000 rpm? Does it relate to the wording on the switch knobs?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
17 hours ago, DavidBee said:

KST 277 stranded under lock and key, kept safe by TR Bitz while I have been felling a 10-trunk fir with a Canadian axe to make a space in our drive-in for the TR3 under a lean to carport made in Fermoy, with powder coated steel struts to go on a concrete hard standing. Cleared with wife who had imagined a horrible looming dark structure blotting out the little sun that shines over Ireland from time to time. 8 down, 2 to go.

IMG-20200403-WA0028-01.png

20200404_193555-01.png

Tiiiimmmmbbbbeeeerrrrr ! 

Impressive! Will your tr3 be sleeping outside? Car cover? 

36 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Tiiiimmmmbbbbeeeerrrrr ! 

Impressive! Will your tr3 be sleeping outside? Car cover? 

17 hours ago, james christie said:

Have chain saws been banned in your corner of this world?

Looks like sporting work to me!

james

Yes it really is! That's what my other friends say too. I just don't have one. I've developed a unique method. Chipping to form a cutting V edge with hatchet, move in with several swings to fell most of the trunk, then saw off lingering bits with bow saw. The Canadian axe was a bundled in special offer 6 years ago. If you bought the saw, you got the axe, for only marginally more. Well, I was embarrassed. I could hardly lift it then. Too much sedentary work had had its toll.

So I resolved to get fit enough to wield it.

"What are you going to do with that!!?" was the embarrassing question, the implication being that I had murderous intentions. I went red in the face. It was meant to be funny, but you do hear dreadful stories, don't you?

2. Car cover

Well, if we had the space for a garage that would be preferable, but since we don't and there's a drive instead, I'm planning a lean-to structure with a sloping roof, availing of party wall and garden wall, for a car port, providing at least rain protection. It might have some sort of lockable door (closed off by a "wall" fashioned in the same way).

[http://www.grangeironcraft.ie/carports-canopies/] Here is the spec: "Frame– Galvanized box iron frame all round. Painted on powder coated in white, black or transparent silver. Roof – Fire-resistant transparent Polycarbonate Sheeting or PVC Steel Cladding. All secured with Tek screws and bolts".

When I'll be needing to do maintenance, I think my mate Marty will let me use his workshop. You could do some work in situ, but realistically, it's quite a steep incline.

Edited by DavidBee
26 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

2. Car cover

Well, if we had the space for a garage that would be preferable, but since we don't and there's a drive instead, I'm planning a lean-to structure with a sloping roof, availing of party wall and garden wall, for a car port, providing at least rain protection. It might have some sort of lockable door (closed off by a "wall" fashioned in the same way).

I looked into carcoons before a friend was kind enough to allow me to use his garage to store the Landy. They make an outdoor version

You haven't shared your axe workout with us. What's your secret?

8 minutes ago, Deggers said:

TROveB.jpg.688e95b99edc484987e4d4b630e3d504.jpg

TROveA.thumb.jpg.020ee5dd697e2f7dc4be7bbcf50589d4.jpg

Very early TR2 pictured there with the speedo on the left, later changed to the other side so Navigators could see it. Note also adjustable column.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Very early TR2 pictured there with the speedo on the left, later changed to the other side so Navigators could see it. Note also adjustable column.

Stuart.

Not TR2 pedal rubbers though.  I would have expected to see the vertical ribbed ones (Ooo matron!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR2-Pedal-Pads-PAIR/310899053837?epid=1366584916&hash=item486307150d:g:xYUAAOSwys5WVyLO

image.png.1a60d8d4a5f0d2d668d08eddab13bd1e.png

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

I looked into carcoons before a friend was kind enough to allow me to use his garage to store the Landy. They make an outdoor version

You haven't shared your axe workout with us. What's your secret?

Well, since you're asking, Eli, a strictly 5-day early morning workout, 5-5.30, light weights, dynamic lifting, biceps, triceps, pectorals, gently increased over time, and the usual: push ups, scrunches, twists, bends, abs work, bit of yoga, tadasana, shashankasana, marjoriasana, and a few more. Then cycling to railway station, 14km a day, only commuting days.

30 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Well, since you're asking, Eli, a strictly 5-day early morning workout, 5-5.30, light weights, dynamic lifting, biceps, triceps, pectorals, gently increased over time, and the usual: push ups, scrunches, twists, bends, abs work, bit of yoga, tadasana, shashankasana, marjoriasana, and a few more. Then cycling to railway station, 14km a day, only commuting days.

That is quite a routine you've got there. Is that 5-5.30am start or does it take you 30min to complete? I've got a waterrower here, I highly recommend it. Looks great too!

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Not TR2 pedal rubbers though.  I would have expected to see the vertical ribbed ones (Ooo matron!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR2-Pedal-Pads-PAIR/310899053837?epid=1366584916&hash=item486307150d:g:xYUAAOSwys5WVyLO

image.png.1a60d8d4a5f0d2d668d08eddab13bd1e.png

Its a US restored car, I have a load of pictures of the rest of the car and its close but not correct in a number of other areas as well.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

That is quite a routine you've got there. Is that 5-5.30am start or does it take you 30min to complete? I've got a waterrower here, I highly recommend it. Looks great too!

The whole thing only takes 30 minutes. After years of moaning about never having time, I twigged that I'd get it done if I did it first thing in the morning, and still be in time to catch the 7am train to Limerick.

10 minutes ago, stuart said:

Its a US restored car, I have a load of pictures of the rest of the car and its close but not correct in a number of other areas as well.

Stuart.

Best bit about the ribbed pedal rubbers was that they were still used as the accelerator pedal pad on the Innsbruck series (2000-2.5-2500) right up to the end of vehicle series production, so were available from the factory spares throughout the I980's.

Peter W

The dash is more or less back together now. Started it up and the fuel hose going into the first carb starting spraying the engine bay with petrol. And a fuse blew after I connected the green wire that was just hanging loose. 

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with my work so far! 

158628468778681.jpg

158628463475843.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
21 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

The dash is more or less back together now. Started it up and the fuel hose going into the first carb starting spraying the engine bay with petrol. And a fuse blew after I connected the green wire that was just hanging loose. 

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with my work so far! 

1586284446548.jpg

158628448419843.jpg

Well done, Eli. Looks very neat. One question. Can you retain the UK number plate?

In Ireland, the Republic, obviously, what Brits — and I can see why, good people — think is called "Southern Ireland", you are allowed to get a period and year related silver or white raised number (pricier), on a black plate. Or a modern number plate for 2020, with EU blue edge.

My preference isn't one. I would rather keep the Scots Inverness plate.

I quite like the modern option, still haven't quite made up my mind.

To me, this choice has the benefit of saying "Now look here, this is just a daily driver.'

Alternatively, as I live in Cork the period one would be: 55-C-00 and whatever last consecutive number for 1955. Still undecided. What do you suggest? 

By the way, are you going to install Bob's smashing rear LED tail lights and indicator conversion? I would.

Edited by DavidBee
Added a para; yet another typo! Error.

By the way, are you going to install Bob's smashing rear LED tail lights and indicator conversion? I would.

Yes, I second that - great conversion which gives you much more confidence that cars following you can see you and your intentions.

Great little fix and great value for money. Do it, you won’t regret it.

Chris

Good stuff Eli, did the Alloy rear Firewall cause you many problems fitting it ?

Mick Richards