Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks David 

Good spot! 

I know it's different, but that's what makes it distinctive. I like the big Standard Triumph logo. Also, these cars were rallied too. Had a 2088 cc. Vanguard engine. I wonder when it was done? Long ago, methinks. Part of your 3's history at this point.

I remember when my mate John Lehane and I found a grey steering wheel, same design as sidescreen TRs, with same TR boss. Identical to the norm, but grey. He's probably still got it. But something tells me he's not on the Forum...

Edited by David Brancaleone
11 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

I know it's different, but that's what makes it distinctive. I like the big Standard Triumph logo. Also, these cars were rallied too. Had a 2088 cc. Vanguard engine. I wonder when it was done? Long ago, methinks. Part of your 3's history at this point.

The dash is out! Undoing the steering column bracket did the trick. Putting it back without wrecking the paint will be interesting... 

I'm going to swap back to an original style one day. You can't beat a bakelite steering wheel. 

158547124542819.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
13 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

I remember when my mate John Lehane and I found a grey steering wheel, same design as sidescreen TRs, with same TR boss. Identical to the norm, but grey. He's probably still got it. But something tells me he's not on the Forum...

Would the vanguard centre fit in a tr3 steering wheel? Thanks 

2 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

definitely better than red! if you want to do it 100% accurate, paint it body color.

Now I always thought the hood frame was a sort of beige/off white cream colour.  The couple of old hood frames I have hanging in the rafters are that sort of colour, not body or black.  The webbing is similarly coloured. It matched the interior fabric backing colour of the 'Everflex' hooding originally used on the cars.

That said I had my frame powder coated black many moons ago to match the black with black interior 'Haartz Twillfast' material hood, tonneau and sidescreens.

Cheers

Peter W

37 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Now I always thought the hood frame was a sort of beige/off white cream colour.  The couple of old hood frames I have hanging in the rafters are that sort of colour, not body or black.  The webbing is similarly coloured. It matched the interior fabric backing colour of the 'Everflex' hooding originally used on the cars.

That said I had my frame powder coated black many moons ago to match the black with black interior 'Haartz Twillfast' material hood, tonneau and sidescreens.

Cheers

Peter W

Maybe they have been painted in several ways.

Here is an evidence for body color (check out the first picture on the left side):

http://tr4a.weebly.com/inside-the-triumph-factory-tr3.html

7 hours ago, tr2_applegreen said:

definitely better than red! if you want to do it 100% accurate, paint it body color.

I like the black on black interior, and I already had the paint in the garage :D

The dash is stripped of the old vinyl, tomorrow's job is to remove all the old glue. Wish me luck! 

I ordered a pair of seat runners. And I received one pair, ie for one seat :angry:

So only the drivers seat is fitted at the moment. I put a 1cm thick strip of closed cell foam between the runner and the floor pan to replace the carpet. 

The seats are very narrow, even for a not very large chap like myself! 

I haven't drilled or bolted in the roll over bar yet. I need to give myself time to get used to it... 

158568090063640.jpg

158568094315782.jpg

i think you will find hammerite works well as a wrinkle paint, though you do have to let it very nearly dry before spraying again, the layer below reacts to the new paint layer and wrinkles up.

9 minutes ago, roy53 said:

so what made the difference with the crackle paint ?

So after watching loads of videos on YouTube and reading several how-to guides, the concensus was to follow the instructions on the can very carefully. 5-10 minutes between coats, leave it for 2 hours before applying heat. This is what I did for try number one and it didn't work. 

I found another video, this time the guy just sprayed 3 coats one after the other and took a heat gun to it straight away. Bish bash bosh. Worked a charm! 

2 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Roll over bar is bolted in! Dennis is looking a lot sportier 

158583779038224.jpg

Minilites next?

On 3/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, EliTR6 said:

I like the black on black interior, and I already had the paint in the garage :D

The dash is stripped of the old vinyl, tomorrow's job is to remove all the old glue. Wish me luck! 

3 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Not a fan of minilites

I would love black wire wheels but can't justify the expense right now 

Yes, 72-spoke would be the business. Raffish.

I did something similar, but did add relays for lights and horns not to draw a lot of current over the switch and push button.