Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Eli ~

I did it over five years ago. The TR has been off the road but the paint seems to stand up to everyday handling during the rebuild.The secret with getting the paint to work is applying plenty of heat from the heat gun. I had no problems with getting a perfect finish.  I also coated the wiper motor with the same paint.

Tom.

Thanks. Fingers crossed the dash turns out ok

158522509452605.jpg

Following earlier Polishing i applied Autoglym Extra Gloss the the ‘6s paint, and polished the glass.

wish i could go for a drive !

steve

C69E5667-C47E-4C94-BFA3-92BD5C526216.jpeg

Well done, Eli! That's a lot of work, you must be Speedy Gonzales.

I notice the horn boss is unusual. Is it from another Standard or a later TR? Quite attractive.

1 hour ago, David Brancaleone said:

Well done, Eli! That's a lot of work, you must be Speedy Gonzales.

I notice the horn boss is unusual. Is it from another Standard or a later TR? Quite attractive.

Thanks. Not that speedy, just cut a few corners probably :blink:

I'm not sure where the boss is from. I would like to change back to an original steering wheel one day. 

Dash is coming out tomorrow! 

Seats and rollbar should all arrive mid next week 

Well, the good news is that it has been remanufactured I see.

Then again, nice to have something unusual fitted, I feel. You see many rebuilt TRs with no sign of having been "lived in", looking almost too perfect. I used to he a purist, even to the point of removing the more efficient banana inlet manifold and SU HS6s and replacing with brand new SU H4s and a "log type" inlet. And I detested roll over bars! But some detailing I like such as an original gear knob. I think it's all a very personal choice, well, except for safety features. If you take a look at the rally pics I've been adding to, there's a 2 with what looks like a wider grille. I'd keep that!

15 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Following earlier Polishing i applied Autoglym Extra Gloss the the ‘6s paint, and polished the glass.

wish i could go for a drive !

steve

C69E5667-C47E-4C94-BFA3-92BD5C526216.jpeg

Use it as your shopping car ! 

Conrad.

Heheheheheheheheheheheheh,  thought it may provoke a Negative , it was a positive suggestion !

Shopping round here is maybe  a dozen cars in the car park at the moment, so no problem at all...

A TR has to be seen in public at some stage in it's life , or what's the point of having a a classic.

Keep safe Boys, 

Conrad.

The PO really went to town on the glue. 

Shame, even after warming it up and pulling carefully and slowly the carpets didn't come off unscathed. 

What's the best way to get rid of the remaining bits and glue without wrecking the paint? Thanks 

15853933725206.jpg

Edited by EliTR6
1 hour ago, openroad said:

Heheheheheheheheheheheheh,  thought it may provoke a Negative , it was a positive suggestion !

Shopping round here is maybe  a dozen cars in the car park at the moment, so no problem at all...

A TR has to be seen in public at some stage in it's life , or what's the point of having a a classic.

Keep safe Boys, 

Conrad.

Red tick away, when you breakdown in your bangers and cash don't expect some poor sod to come out and help you. Save our NHS.

I did manage a ride on my GS, to collect a batch of frozen food from Cook.

roads very empty, kept expecting Zombies to stagger out from hiding ....

29 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

Ive got everything off but the dash won't clear the steering wheel boss. 

I've unscrewed the 3 tiny hex nuts and can slide the centre out this far but am flummoxed as to what to do next

158541001454159.jpg

Standard Vanguard Phase 3 boss, Eli. Rare.

ebay722856.jpg

Edited by David Brancaleone

+1.

You have to undo the bullet connectors in the loom that comes through the stator tube at the front of the steering box.  Then pull the wiring loom up through the tube as you withdraw the head. The connectors are a good fit in the stator tube and have to be staggered. 

It's possible the wires might stick in the tube if they have been there a long time. In that case you have to undo the gland nut on the steering box and withdraw the whole stator tube upwards too (which lets all the oil out of the box of course). 

Undo the clamp around the steering column, you may be able to pull it down enough to get the dash out.

To answer you question about the bulb holder in the speedo, just pull it out.

Bob.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

Undo the clamp around the steering column, you may be able to pull it down enough to get the dash out.

To answer you question about the bulb holder in the speedo, just pull it out.

Bob.

Thanks, I'll give it another go tomorrow 

So close and yet so far!