Riders on the storm... My 1956 TR3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can wrangle a length of cord or wire down and under the bottom (layshaft) gears and try lifting the gear cluster. Try at each end. If there is any up and down movement the shaft and bearings ha

Hi all, 15 years after buying my TR6, a spitfire, an abandoned TR6 project and many Land Rovers later, I'm finally back in a TR! A 1956 TR3 with a rather flashy colour scheme. A huge thanks

I just need to paint the chassis where its sitting on the lift pads but other than that...  Mission accomplished! 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Thanks everyone for the kind advice. Food for thought!

Inge, I had a browse through your very complete website. I hope you don't mind me posting this photo of your car looking splendid

P1000174.jpg

Of course not, and thank you.

Edited by ijonsson
15 hours ago, friarmike said:

The roundels are nice but you must have lights on them to see them at night.

But the white light must shine forwards.

Mick Richards 

33 minutes ago, Deggers said:

For example . . .

TRLeMa2roundel.thumb.jpg.0cace7c8c4c900c43dea718c8686b6fb.jpg

Deggers

Splendid! What tyres, Deggers?

53 minutes ago, David Brancaleone said:

Dunlop Racing?

https://www.borrani.com/dunlop-tyres/racing/cr65/550m15-cr65-dunlop-racing.html

image.png.82758fd6e0e68214d237cad171bf4bea.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
39 minutes ago, David Brancaleone said:

From the profile and shape Dunlop Racing.

Mick Richards

Ooops Pete beat me and you replied, oh well lunch called.

I bit the bullet and have ordered a roll over bar from Revingtons (standard, no diagonal after a long chat with them). I also ordered a fire wall for the rear bulkhead. Fitting it sounds like a lot of fun...

I think I'm going to paint the dash black (crinkle effect if I can find the paint) for now

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

The firewall that Revington supply needs quite a bit o fettling. I suggest you make yourself a cardboard template before you start cutting the ally sheet for real. 

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

I bit the bullet and have ordered a roll over bar from Revingtons (standard, no diagonal after a long chat with them). I also ordered a fire wall for the rear bulkhead. Fitting it sounds like a lot of fun...

I think I'm going to paint the dash black (crinkle effect if I can find the paint) for now

Hooray, Eli!!! Crinkling is veery nice. The other finish that looks very good is polished aluminium. Don't know what the right word is, it sort of looks like lots of shiny circles.

15-02.thumb.jpeg.04f59ff60c40716191726e2c87d6e43d.jpeg

What were his reasons for dispensing with diagonal? I'd have thought it would be a strenghthener? Anyway, be that as it may, all of us may have saved your life. Really smart move. Actually, quite common in UK, far less in US, except in racing circles.

Better to stay alive, if you roll than stay a purist, but a dead one.

I agree about the fire wall too. Should you be tempted by the likes of Mick or Hamish, you'll need one.

Edited by David Brancaleone

"The other finish that looks very good is polished aluminium. Don't know what the right word is, it sort of looks like lots of shiny circles."

Commonly called "Dowel finish," ; a dowel (parallel dia steel or wood of the chosen dia) is fitted into a drill (hand or pillar) and after a polished surface (reducing grades of wet and dry and finished with T Cut or other metal polish) has been made on the panel.

1232288807_DowelFinishSurryTop.jpg.928e8d4499171f78f2a34898a7dc0650.jpgThis very nice example is by Tom Fremont on one of his TR250 in the US. The dowel has grinding paste smeared on the end and pressed onto the panel with the drill on a highish speed  (try 800 revs) for some seconds enough to scuff a circular mark onto the polished surface, then overlap the next scuff by maybe 2/3rds of the dia and continue down the panel giving a "stack of sixpences (it's an old method) or dimes (American version) " finish to the metal.  

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Yes, perfect. Nice. I like it. But would require care and knowing whether to have black crackle on all but central dials area or doing whole dash like that. Very racy looking. That's for sure. The crackle black will make the dial borders stand out which is also very nice!

Dash_MD-15.jpg

That finish is also called "engine turned"  You can buy it in sheet form from ebay etc.

I used some to re-make the dashboard on my Hillman Aerominx.

748341961_DashLHS.thumb.jpg.bdebcbeb13af937c2a9508e54e621e14.jpg

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

congrats on you safety items.

dont forget you are not just protecting your self from yourself you are adding additional safety from others outside of your control.

I used a heat specific sealer on my fire wall  heatmate

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/heat-mate-sealant/

If you do want the black textured finish on the dial dash panel consider Halfords spray truckbed liner paint. 

I used it on the roll bar plates that fit in the wheel arch as it’s supposed to be a rugged finish. 

but the finish was very close to the dash panel crinkle finish without the need to apply multiple layers and bake in the oven that I think the “proper” way needs

position the roll bar so all your tops fit with it  soft top and hardtop if you have one  before drilling.

any good trimmer can alter your tonneau after it’s fitted Velcro is your friend here.

H

15 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

did my dash in body colour with the small dial section black crackle.  looks good to me.

20 minutes ago, roy53 said:

did my dash in body colour with the small dial section black crackle.  looks good to me.

Photo?

Thanks everyone. I've already ordered a couple of cans of the VHT stuff. I've got a decent heat gun here and it's quite hot in the sun in the afternoon so I hope I'll be ok

I saw Raptor Protection paint too, looks similar to the Halfords one

The machine turned finish is too shiny for me. I like the utilitarian look!

By all means start with the Crinkle paint but if it doesn't work, and I couldn't get mine to work properly, take it to a powder coating firm and get it powder coated in crinkle finish.  More expensive but you are guaranteed a good result.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent