Fuel pump on my TR6 - converted from PI to triple carbs

Good day all - need some guidance here please

I have a clicking noise coming from the boot and investigated to see if was the fuel pump. On removing the panelling i noticed that there was nothing that resembled either a Lucas or Bosch pump

Help!!!

%H43%PAzSZmfKAe4p%7aHA.jpg

Looks like a Facet solid state fuel pump.

read here. https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/knowledge_base_articles/view/facet-fuel-pumps-for-vehicles-running-carburettors-282

cheers

Peter W

ps. And yes it ticks constantly.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

As you are on carbs the lucas or bosch pumps would not be suitable.

carbs want fuel at about 3-5psi, lucas pi want 100+ psi !

hence the pump you have is nothing like the ones fitted to pi cars.

fuel smell is often caused by either a slight leak, or nowadays by ethanol laden petrol going straight through old hoses.

recommend you replace hoses as this is cheap and good practice

steve

40 minutes ago, PJR said:

Thanks Peter BlueTR3A-5EKT - so changing it wont remove the ticking!!

Ticking is part of the pump’s character.   Nicer than the constant whirrr from the Lucas pump.

Are we talking Weber carbs and do you have a fuel pressure regulator fitted. I’ve just replaced all my fuel hoses with ethanol proof hoses from Moss. After looking around they had the best price. 
The ticking from the pump should change when the carbs have filled will fuel. The ticking slows and becomes slightly quieter. I always wait for this change before starting the engine , along with a couple of pumps of the accelerator and no choke. 

Cameron

45 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

As you are on carbs the lucas or bosch pumps would not be suitable.

carbs want fuel at about 3-5psi, lucas pi want 100+ psi !

hence the pump you have is nothing like the ones fitted to pi cars.

fuel smell is often caused by either a slight leak, or nowadays by ethanol laden petrol going straight through old hoses.

recommend you replace hoses as this is cheap and good practice

steve

Thanks Steve

It looks like the one I have fitted is a low cost solution rather than having the Lucas or Bosch pumps - I am concerned that there is no filter in the line though!

Also, need to find a source for the replacement hoses

41 minutes ago, PJR said:

Thanks Steve

It looks like the one I have fitted is a low cost solution rather than having the Lucas or Bosch pumps - I am concerned that there is no filter in the line though!

Also, need to find a source for the replacement hoses

If that is a facet pump then it is the correct pump. As Steve said earlier IP pumps are not suitable for carbs.

As for fuel hoses see above

I find its worth fitting a filter after these solid state pumps as the rubber non return valves eventually start shedding particles which jam the float chamber valves (I was using it on a V8 with Holley carb)

Eventually the non return valve fails and the pump won't suck. I used to reckon on a new pump every 40-50,000 miles which mattered more when I was doing 12,000 miles a year when my TR was my daily driver

Neil

PJR,

Depending on which version of the cube pump you have, it could be struggling to feed your carbs. See link 

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/facet-solid-state-electronic-fuel-pump-kit-243225/ there are 3 versions with different flow rates/pressures.

A filter between the pump and carbs is a good idea.

My car on triple Webers uses this Facet pump https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/facet-interrupter-electronic-fuel-pump-kit-243227/ which also has 3 versions but the lowest performance version is equal to the highest cube pump. This pump has an internal filter. I also run a variable fuel pressure regulator to fine tune the fuel delivery which also incorporates a filter.

Hope this helps.

Dave McD