Fire extinguisher

Fire Extinguisher for TR4

When 4VC was re-built, I asked Neil to provide me with a fire extinguisher, which I fitted sideways in front of the passenger seat.

Recent discussion on the Forum has made me realise that many years have passed (although the device's pressure gauge still sits in the green band) and that it is either a foam extinguisher, which leaves a real mess if used, or Halon which now is banned as being detrimental to the ozone layer!

I would like to fit a CO2 extinguisher, but am having difficulty finding one which will fit in that same position as the body needs to be 4” (10cm) diameter, and overall length 15” (38cm).

I have looked at a number of sites and have found 2kg CO2 extinguishers of suitable diameter, but they are 18” (46cm) or slightly more in overall length.  An extinguisher of that size could be mounted along the left side of the passenger compartment, but would make it even more difficult for the passenger to get in/out.  Mounting an extinguisher sideways on the horizontal deck behind the seats would restrict luggage space, bearing in mind that the boot, with its 18 gallon tank protruding rearwards, is reduced in size and often I have to dump luggage behind the seats.

I was wondering what other owners of TRs do, what extinguisher they have, where they fit it and from whom they obtained it.

Ian Cornish

Ian in motorsport we now have to have them serviced every 2 years. When i took mine in 2 years ago the gauges read ok but was informed that they were no good and would never have worked. They fitted new nozels and gauges and re gassed them with the correct stuff. Just had mine re done for this year. My point is take yours to a fire extinguisher service centre and they may well re do your one saving you looking for a size suitable.

Roy

My Workshop ones are on a service contract and are serviced every year, The CO2 one has to be fully discharged and re filled every 10 yrs and the foam one every 5yrs

Stuart.

We've talked about this several times over the years.  Here's a thread showing what I've done in my car.

Note that my H3R Halguard extinguisher uses HCFC-123, an extinguishing agent with *extremely* low (although not zero) ODC and GWP.  Given the small quantity, the unlikely discharge, and the compact size of the extinguisher, it's an acceptable choice for me.

Ian,

CO2 extinguishers are recommended for electrical fires, because it won't conduct, but it will blow away whereas AFFF is the stuff for fuel fires, because it floats on top of a pool of fuel.

See the Regulations for Motor Sport, as published by Motorsport UK, once the Motor Sport Association, once the RAC!  They do know a thing or two.

Section K, Safety, from page 162, Paragraph 3.   https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Blue-Book-2020-Reduced-4.pdf

If you are concerned about AFFF making a mess (nothing like the mess a fire makes!) then spend some more for a "Zero 2000" installation.

John

Edited by john.r.davies
48 minutes ago, Don H. said:

We've talked about this several times over the years.  Here's a thread showing what I've done in my car.

Note that my H3R Halguard extinguisher uses HCFC-123, an extinguishing agent with *extremely* low (although not zero) ODC and GWP.  Given the small quantity, the unlikely discharge, and the compact size of the extinguisher, it's an acceptable choice for me.

Unfortunately unavailable over here.

Stuart.

Having had a fire in Moby, I now carry two extinguishers in both Moby & 93LNK (as, having emptied the first one you have nothing left for a re-flash fire)

93LNK, both stored in the surrey, strapped to roll cage. Moby, one in cabin, one in boot

38 minutes ago, stillp said:

It is Stuart, at a price:...

Yikes!

I have in my Toyota pickup a similar (and possibly the same OEM as in your link, Pete) and it cost me about 5X less than in the UK!

https://www.zoro.com/amerex-fire-extinguisher-halotron-abc-2bc-b385ts/i/G3980146/

Edited by Don H.
Names are important!
55 minutes ago, stillp said:

It is Stuart, at a price

Thats £62.95 for the extinguisher and £400 for the certificate of conformance  :rolleyes: