john conlon

Hi 

I am in the process of restoring a 1974 TR6 left hand drive car,  In the process of ordering a wiring harness from auto sparks,( can any one recommend a company )  I was asked for the chassis number which I took from the log book, which is CF 17421u auto sparks, informed me that they could not identify the number on there system, which lead me to check the 2 plates on the bulkhead which are stamped as follows T16811CF 17703CF can any one enlighten as to the identity of the car.  

23 minutes ago, roy53 said:

be sure to ask for black loom if that is what  you want as they come in bright blue .

Roy

Thats for an early TR4 in that colour.

Stuart.

John,

The commission number that you noted for your TR6, CF17421U, is correct for a 1974 USA spec TR6. The 1974 series ran from CF12501U to CF25777U being built from September 1973 to September 1974. The body numbers that you have noted are also in the correct range for your commission number.  For information your TR6 would have been built on the 17th or 18th January 1974.

I would be very concerned that the company that you tried doesn't know the correct harness relevant to your model of TR6 however a lot will depend on whether you intend to leave your TR6 in LHD and what functions if any you intend to retain from the US model.  If you are converting to RHD then probably the best harness to go for would be for a 1973 onwards CR series TR6. I'm sure others will advise.

cheers

Derek

John,

To add to Derek’s comments

From January 1972, the North American TR6 Commission Plates were stamped with a U suffix (for USA) which replaced the L suffix which had been previously used for this market as the code for Left Hand Drive.

Your Engine would have been originally stamped with a UE suffix too, which denotes USA Engine.

Good Luck

Martin

11 hours ago, saffrontr said:

John,

The commission number that you noted for your TR6, CF17421U, is correct for a 1974 USA spec TR6. The 1974 series ran from CF12501U to CF25777U being built from September 1973 to September 1974. The body numbers that you have noted are also in the correct range for your commission number.  For information your TR6 would have been built on the 17th or 18th January 1974.

I would be very concerned that the company that you tried doesn't know the correct harness relevant to your model of TR6 however a lot will depend on whether you intend to leave your TR6 in LHD and what functions if any you intend to retain from the US model.  If you are converting to RHD then probably the best harness to go for would be for a 1973 onwards CR series TR6. I'm sure others will advise.

cheers

Derek

If you want to do this: I have a copy of the wiring diagram for these (PM me an email although it should be on the forum somewhere...all other wiring diagrams are onhttp://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf).  There's a lot in the way of warning lights and seatbelt modules that differ, but if you're pulling some of those and doing a RHD conversion it might be simple enough to change and avoid wiring in the relevant parts?