How to grease the outer UJ on the drive shaft on TR4A IRS - TR6

Hi,

this is for Roger,

to grease the outer UJ of the drive shafts on my TR4A I use an adaptor on the grease gun.

P1210111-c.JPG.111000b8eddb57fe5ec76a8109b4ffac.JPG   P1210103b.JPG.7255f12b793cec699b3d5ebb466183ad.JPG

Or I do it another way - which I will never mention anymore due to some §$%&!! at the internet.

Ciao, Marco

Hi Roger,

the tool is simply to push on the grease nipple, it does not lock there,

but it works like a leaver and you get the end really tight on the nipple.

Btw the knurled part of the tool / adaptor is a sleeve to push or pull,

pulled it holds the mouth of the grease gun locked on the nipple,

pushed you can pull the mouth of the grease gun (angular) of the nipple.

Hope that helps, Marco

Edited by Z320

Supplementary problem with UJs.  

Currently fitted with Hardy Spicer UJs, the short grease nipples on the prop. and 1/2 shafts are too deep to get the head of the grease gun in. A spare UJ carried for emergencies has a longer accessible nipple. (see photo).

Does anyone know if the standard grease nipple listed as 7H3858 by MOSS is a long one like this or the short ones currently fitted to my 4A.

Alternatively, does anyone know the size and thread type or a source of long ones that can be used to replace the inaccessible ones.

Thanks for any info you can supply,

John 

IMG_0025.JPG

I wonder if it's really necessary or even helpful where the car is driven regularly. I never grease mine, nor the driveshaft U-joints after fitting copiously greased new ones when the spirit moves me ( never had one go bad, but have pre-emptively changed them whenever replacing hubs or removing them for other reasons ).

For a long idle example I can imagine some benefit would accrue to greasing when re-commissioning.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi John,

I use the shortest grease nipples without any problems, perhaps you should use another grease gun?

This are most of my grease guns, only 2 are missing, did not find them...

P1150552-b.JPG.3c94d46d6bf3e1c3dff7363773915496.JPG

You see the different diameter of their mouths - and the 15 and 14 mm ones enclose the nipple and need even more space!

Most I use the push grease guns 12 mm, for the outer drive shaft UJ the angled 10 mm adaptor locked on the big pump gun.

The nipples there are short or medium lenght, can't look now because the car is jacked.

Next the VERy short nipple on the probshaft (not to disturb its balance), that works lovely with a 12 mm push grease gun.

P1150553-b.JPG.77f12aec928b7545011295876d85d87c.JPG  P1150555-b.JPG.5dac09469256cea6ce6f4dcf186feaf7.JPG

"Problems" are the nipples on my inner drive shaft UJ because of their very specials size and the nipple in the center.

P1150557-b.JPG.ebdb7172fb9e14f68cf32886394c00ff.JPG

But this works with another gun, missing on the photo.

Hope this helps, Marco

Edited by Z320

Thanks for all the info chaps.

Fascinating array of grease guns Marco, (envy abound comes to mind).

Sole tool I have is a Wanner with about 14mm jaws which has served my home maintenance for some 60 odd years.

To save withdrawing the 1/2 shafts every couple of years to crank the joint open for access, I think an investment at Rimmers, and an open eye at the auto-jumbles for one of those handy small push type guns is called for.

John

Hi John,

indeed one or two less of them will also be enough - they are missing on the photo already :rolleyes:

My last one, the small black one, I own since about 4 week, it's from the scap container on our village recycle ground.

Cost me nothing.

More difficult is to get the angled adaptor, it's sold out, so a friend of mine asked me to make a copy.

I'm working on that...

Edited by Z320
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi stopped to look at this thread as it mentioned the UJ on the outer drive shaft -TR6.

I have just been doing a bit of work on the drive shaft and hub assembly.

The UJ's don't appear to have grease nipples.

However looking at the Moss Catalogue a grease nipple is shown.

Are there sealed units that don't require maintenance ?

The Yokes have central holes, not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks Phil

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

The hole you see in the yoke is a centre point when the shaft is turned in a lathe, if you look at the other end of the yoke you will find another.  The shaft in held in two centre points when made and turned on a lathe.

No place to put a grease fitting.

John

Hi Phil,

the UJ should have threads to fit grease nipples,

perhaps you don't see them because they are full of dirty grease.

On my TR some of them have been locked with grub screws.

I would take a piece of wire and prick for them around on the UJs.  

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 years later...

Robert,
last week I removed the rear wheel, brake drum and then the 6 nuts that hold the wheel bearing(hub) and brake plate and I could pull out the outer half of the drive shaft. This gives an opportunity to properly inspect and grease the outer UJ (mine have nipples), and also clean and grease the splines. Check the UJ before greasing, otherwise the grease will mask any issues.

It is simpler (quicker) than you would think, and you can inspect the drum and shoes at the same time. Not my own wise invention, a friend told me he does this every 2 years (or so). The clunk has disappeared as well (for as long as it takes).

Recommended torque for the 6x 5/16” UNF nyloc nuts: 19 Nm (not much!).
Use new nyloc nuts.

Waldi

easy this internet days…..

browse Ebay or Amazon for „grease gun adapter“ and buy the set with the adapter with the smallest throat

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320