Parts Disapointment

Hi All

Just a quick note to moan about poor parts, doh.

When I dismantled my poor old 6 I notice the grille badge was a little scabby.

1826174559_OriginalBadge.png.30b3ea0f57ef6c54ebc6a7dc59d4dee4.png

Decided I didn’t want one of the foil things so hunted for an Enameled one, but not expensive. And I found a new one locally, some guy selling all sorts of spares out of his shed, looked great. Not 100% but nice enough, lettering a bit thin but hey bargain, Yeah.

546244757_Newbadge.jpg.c8c832dbc71edb61d16b24f8fd180b73.jpg

Until that is a found it does not fit the mounting plinth, because it’s just not curved correctly. GRRRR.

1104414402_Notgood.thumb.jpg.9eb780ae7125a67dad6db71c36e76908.jpg

Trouble is because it enameled and the black is basically glass is I force it to ben it will just crack and I’ll be back to square one. Can’t remember exactly where the guy was and it was ages ago so lesson learned. I suppose I could fit it anyway as who looks that close at the grille.

Cheers  Keith

I bought one like that off eBay, hoped that tightening the nut up would draw it onto the plinth, no such luck, I ended up buying another that was curved enough.

I had one and snapped one of the studs off due to its shape.

In the end I set about bending it (very) slowly by strapping it over a curved shape that I increased over a few days and left it secured in an angle slightly more than I needed so that it sprung back into the correct curve and chemical metalled or araldited the stud on so I could at least fit it until I picked up a better one, guess what it's still on there now some time later.

I don't know if you sorted another one, but I'd be willing to buy it (cheap) and have a go at bending it as I think the stud has broken loose again on mine.

Gareth

Get a piece of aluminium cut to same size as the badge and thickness same as the gap each side between badge and plinth. Then gradually file away the aluminium from the centre to the outside so the middle is thinner than the outside edges. Eventually you will have shaped the piece of aluminium so when it fits between the badge and the mounting plinth it will fit without having to bend the badge. If you try to bend the badge you will almost certainly crack it. Polish up the edges of the aluminium and you won't notice it has been modified.

Keith

good luck

Hi All

Couple of good ideas. Not sure about the bending thing as the enamel is basically glass so to become flexible i think it would need to be very hot and not sure how easy that would be to achive and not over heat,

But got some ideas to try and i'll see how it goes.

Cheers  Keith

18 hours ago, keith1948 said:

Get a piece of aluminium cut to same size as the badge and thickness same as the gap each side between badge and plinth. Then gradually file away the aluminium from the centre to the outside so the middle is thinner than the outside edges. Eventually you will have shaped the piece of aluminium so when it fits between the badge and the mounting plinth it will fit without having to bend the badge. If you try to bend the badge you will almost certainly crack it. Polish up the edges of the aluminium and you won't notice it has been modified.

Keith

good luck

This makes the most sense to me.  As long as it doesn't cost more than a decent badge of course...

Another hint: do not use ANY force when tightening the nuts. I planned to use Loctite to avoid the nuts working loosr, and only applied a bit more than “finger tight” and this is what happened on my old (original?) badge. 

85EE7676-6532-4C87-8FA1-34BFE8270A5A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well after the tribulations with my new, well replacement enamel TR6 Badge I decide to take a leaf out of Ed H’s book and refurb my old one.

He sets out on his site how he did his and I’ve given it a go and mine now looks, well, ok.

Ed’s is much more flamboyant due to the body colour and his end product is def superior to mine, but I’m happy enough with mine warts and all, which you can see in the pic.

As its Sapphire Blue, so darkish, those warts will be hardly noticeable when it is mounted on the car, low’ish down in a bit of shadow.

Cheers  Keith

Sapphie Badge.jpg

Thanks for that Mark.

I'm reasonably happy with it and it a huge improvement to how it looked in the pic in my original post, but its not perfect.

You can see the imperfections in the paint in places around the chrome, both of the letters and the surround, but hey not to shabby for rattle cans and some clearcoat.

Cheers   Keith

Hi Keith,

I’m tempted to do the same on my damaged badge (see my picture above).

Did you use 2K paint, and were you able to get some “thickness”? 
Thanks,
Waldi

Hi Waldi

I used 1K paint and a 1K lacquer, but supplied by a trade paint supplier that mixed it from a scan of my paint and put it in an aerosol can. I took the scuttle panel in and the match is very good.

To get the depth i just used many coats of colour and lots of coats of lacquer.

Spraying and getting a good finish is not to diff, but as they always say the end results really depend on the preparation and thats where i fell down a little.

You really really need to get every last bit of the enamel off and thats not easy, but crucial and then ideally the primer needs to be really really neat. Both of those things are not perfect on mine (i thought they were ok) but now the colour and lacquer are on you can see the imprefections.

But its not bad enough to do again and being on the grille and abit out of the way it shouldn't be too noticable.

But worth the effort and nothing to lose if the badge is old and scabby.

Ed H's site (if you know it) has a good explanation with photo's as a guide.

Cheers    Keith

Hi Keith,
Thanks for that, it’s on my list of things to do. Worth a go as you show and little to loose.
Waldi

I'm sure I read somewhere of somebody offering a proper restoration service for the original enamel badges? Probably not cheap but possibly a whole lot better than some of these awful "pattern" badges around?

Has anyone tried the Moss item? It looks ok from the picture on their website, but is the curving correct on this one so it follows the holder?

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/badge-tr6-enamelled-625662z.html

Thanks,

Waldi

Edited by Waldi
Link did not work