Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Grant

123 Electronic ignition

I'm sure that there is a simple answer to this but I have spent the last 2 hours trying to establish if an alternator is required for a 123 ignition system that I am considering fitting to my 4A. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks. 

No requirement for an alternator Trevor  - just needs a negative-earth electrical system which your 4A should have. 

I have the 123 Tune+ with Bluetooth and although I have an alternator there’s no mention of needing an alternator in the fitting instructions.  

The model I have is also OK with pos or neg earth. 

What’s causing your worry?

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Trevor ~

+1 for the above remarks. My 3A is fitted with a 123 distributor and Negative earth and alternator.

It is highly recommended that you fit a vacuum advance pipe with a vapour trap between the carb. and the distributor.

'Albertronic' the manufacturers of the 123 strongly advise this to stop petrol entering the 123 and destroying it.

The vapour trap should be fitted pointing in an upward direction as per my photo.

The 123 is an excellent piece of kit.

Tom.

DSCF1740 - Copy.JPG

DSCF1591 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Fireman049

Many thanks Rob and yes it is negative earth, the reason I was concerned Pete is that I was told a generator was not 'man enough' for the 123 system (pub talk) and I wanted to be sure before investing in what I think would be an improvement on the conventional points.

Trevor

Thank you Tom I really do appreciate this advice from you all and will ensure to fit a vacuum advance pipe with a vapour trap, the pictures help enormously, plus it saves me the expense of an alternator...

Trevor  

Bit late me coming in... (half time at rugby) .... Tom - as usual - is spot on.... I’m running with original pos earth and dynamo and.... so far so good.