Brenda’s Engine

Pardon me for the following comment.....but that header wrapping is unnecessarily spoiling a fabulous looking engine.

I would match port the headers [and the inlet manifold]  and have them ceramic coated. The coating will in itself minimise the heat transfer.

Do you intend running a complete twin exhaust system or fit a collector at the termination of the headers and then a suitable sized single SS system.

2 minutes ago, Malbaby said:

Pardon me for the following comment.....but that header wrapping is unnecessarily spoiling a fabulous looking engine.

I would match port the headers [and the inlet manifold]  and have them ceramic coated. The coating will in itself minimise the heat transfer.

Do you intend running a complete twin exhaust system or fit a collector at the termination of the headers and then a suitable sized single SS system.

We had a well respected racer on here who took the time and money to do back to back tests of heat treatment inc ceramic and iirc the ceramic was looks over heat reduction performance. 

wrapping was certainly more cost effective if a little untidy looking. 

5 minutes ago, Malbaby said:

but that header wrapping is unnecessarily spoiling a fabulous looking engine.

As for me.. well I happen to like the exhaust wrap. When mostly tucked away under the carbs it's not at all offensive to my eyes.  Indeed I used it on my last classic to help keep the radiant heat from its inboard brakes, and again on the down-pipes of a previously owned 3.8 Jag whose radiant massive twin exhaust pipes kept its dynamo and PAS pump rather warmer than I liked.  Consequently I plan to do the same with my TR's exhaust.  

That's just my opinion like.  :ph34r:  ..and as you can see  ..I even wear the stuff to keep my headers warm !  B)

Malbaby  we have a single pipe then a Y pipe onto two back boxes all ss, I quite like the warp it been on the pipes for a few years now and had no problems with it. I’ll only see it when the bonnet is up in the garage for service checks and a polish.

Mike Redrose group 

Another successful morning after going food shopping with Carole, (it has to be done) day of tomorrow looking after grandson so back to it Saturday get car up in the air to fit exhaust and bleed brakes and clutch then hopefully Sunday we will see if she starts 

Mike Redrose Group 

2711B99B-D9C5-4D3D-AAB5-E7B550B4C983.jpeg

2EAD1CE5-D836-4822-8662-963CBD67EE20.jpeg

8281061F-50E6-4E20-B3A8-C8E987A8C21A.jpeg

Well Sunday morning was a little eventful for the first start up, battery fully charged but still not enough power in it turn the engine over fast enough, got out the jump leads and she fired up. Ran for 30 mins. Just a few teething problems, new battery required ( had this one 5 years) and the new temp transmitter is running very high but the fan is clicking on/off I’ll try the old unit tomorrow.

Mike Redrose Group 

1FDC884B-7702-447F-9916-2B2DA6662ED5.jpeg

Well done mike. 
nothing to worry about there. 

brand new engine will be a little tight with great compression so will strain a tired battery and sometimes will test an old starter. 

you have done loads this autumn engine gearbox diff as well as the earlier body work you should be very pleased with all you have achieved. 

Well Done Mike.

For what it's worth.. I blueprinted one of my Sunbeam motorcycle engines a few years back, where every bearing as well as the bores was at minimum tolerance.  I was pulling my hair out when it wouldn't start, so I called an old timer who explained "Oh yes that happens when these engines are so tight. You'll need to tow start the bike and then the engine will thereafter be fine".    In short what was happening was that with the internal friction the engine would stall it before or as soon as it caught.  We towed (trying to bump start the engine) for almost 2 miles, and then I kid you not it took something like 200 kick-starts before that engine would start and run for just a few moments.  Little by little the engine would run just a little longer until eventually it would tick over on it's own. I rode the bike up and down the lane and then let it cool down again for a couple of hours.  Thereafter the bike started fine.

Lesson of the experience, from your point of view is to give your 5-year old a battery a chance. It may take five miles to free off a bit but you might well find - it's fine. 

Pete. 

Congrats !

i rebuilt a little honda motorcycle engine 18 months  ago and was very happy when it fired up after the rebuild, can only imagine the scale of joy with your TR engine 

steve

16 hours ago, brenda said:

Well Sunday morning was a little eventful for the first start up, battery fully charged but still not enough power in it turn the engine over fast enough, got out the jump leads and she fired up. Ran for 30 mins. Just a few teething problems, new battery required ( had this one 5 years) and the new temp transmitter is running very high but the fan is clicking on/off I’ll try the old unit tomorrow.

Mike Redrose Group 

1FDC884B-7702-447F-9916-2B2DA6662ED5.jpeg

:D  Great,  I'd not spotted Carole's beaming smile previously.. You're just so colour co-originated.    And well done Carole for getting Brenda sorted  (yes it's true, we all like to be kind to Mike ..but we all know who is behind getting the real work done !)

Edited by Bfg

^ I do the same with my motorcycles..  Well, it was very useful when I had fourteen of them.  HVS655  is  'Hovis'  ..which is quite appropriate for a 1955 Sunbeam.  KTO 345 is of course 'Katie' (1948 Sunbeam S7),  but my two sister bikes from 1953 are each registered with NXN  ..and I was not going to name them 'Nixon'.  Fortunately when I collected the first one (in my Chrysler Voyager people carrier) the bike's front wheel/tyre projected to inbetween the front seats, and as we trundled off down the road - the wheel rocked gently,  nudging my arm ..as if a little old lady sitting in the back seat wanted to get my attention to say she was "having a jolly nice time"..    So she (a model S8) was thereafter known as 'Nudge'.  And her more ample sister was nicknamed ..affectionately but still rather rudely (only in private) as  'Pudge'  (she's an S7-deluxe).   As it happens, she was known by the prior owner as 'Princess',  very likely because of her being adorned in poly-chromatic silver  - every elegant indeed !   I later discovered that she was first registered the day after the Coronation of our beloved Queen  ..and so was most likely painted the (metallic) silver especially for celebrationary display in the showroom's window  (at that time, the Sunbeam S7-Deluxe was the flagship model of the BSA motorcycle group).   In the same London showroom, also silver in colour,  was Nudge who was registered just 5 weeks later. 

Oops.,  sorry for the thread drift !  ..prompted by Mike's comment about some names not being so good. 

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

Well got ready for a run out and we found a oil leak, jacked her back up and found that the spin on oil filter was not sealing correctly, removed, clean and refit. Re test and all seems fine. Popped out for a short run, called back home to recheck for leaks and all ok, so off we go for another run. Now we need to put some miles on the clock before our first holiday at Easter.

Mike Redrose group 

EBE70591-FCA0-49BB-8D20-B2DE95ACB651.jpeg

78E21804-172C-4232-9C5A-A4B2C932B000.jpeg

2EE6F0E4-9855-4A58-81C8-395271054714.jpeg

well done Mike

Don’t forget to follow the engine guys running in procedures