Heater removal

The fan in my heater hasn't worked since I bought the car and I'd like to get it sorted. I have confirmed it is the fan motor and not the wiring or switch to it.

I have been reluctant to start on it as it means the car is off the road while I'm doing it and it might take some time.

A few reads say I need to remove the dash and tunnel to do the job but I was told by someone I can't remember that it can be done with the car assembled.

Can anybody please give guidance on the process to remove and replace the fan motor without disassembling the cockpit.

John,

When I removed mine a few years ago I removed the glove box and took the heater box out sideways. Seem to remember that there was an article on Triumph World that concerned the removal of a heater from  TR5.

Graham

Hi John

Not to upset you but, just try to be careful not to shear off the three bolts that hold the heater box in place, two of mine did even with the dash out which needed heat and drill/tap to remove. So you might end up taking the dash out anyway.

Andy

4 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi John

Not to upset you but, just try to be careful not to shear off the three bolts that hold the heater box in place, two of mine did even with the dash out which needed heat and drill/tap to remove. So you might end up taking the dash out anyway.

Andy

Thanks Andy. That is my concern, ending up with the car in bits just to have a heater motor. I don't need it for heating, more for some airflow on hot days stuck in traffic.

Your warning is valuable, I won't force them.

I decided to check the wiring again having done it some time ago.

I have a G wire, power on the wiring diagram, and a GY and GN (green/brown) to the blower motor. There is a spare terminal on the switch, on the side and I am now not sure the switch is wired correctly.

Can someone please post a photo of the back of their heater blower switch so I can make sure I have the wires connected correctly. Or explain maybe with a diagram.

Also, where does the blower motor earth?

Yes, electrics are one of my weak points. I study it and remember nothing.

Disregard this post. I managed to sort it out. The switch and wiring are good, it is the blower motor or its internal wiring.

Edited by John McCormack
6 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Getting at them requires a double jointed octopus!! 

Not if you have the instruments and wooden dash out :D

I have just put my heater back in this afternoon, having replaced the fan motor. The worst thing is that your hands get cut to ribbons on the sharp metal behind the wood. But if you have removed the instruments and dash you can see the bolts and just sit in the seats and take them out. Also easier to remove/refit the heater hoses when you can see them through the instrument holes.

Dash and Instruments back in tomorrow hopefully.