Removing heater water valve and tubing

For my second engine, I am considering not using the heater water valve and tubing. Can I remove the heater valve and plug it? Rimmer offers an plug. Or is it recommended to have some kind of circulation thru the cylinder head by leaving the heater valve open?

by the way....is there any reason for keeping the heater at all?

Jochem

Your wife? :)

Sorry me Jochem, you threw that ball....

But seriously, you drive the engine at sunny days with the heating turned off - so for the engine it should be no problem to plug it.

But you know, also during summer there are some days with cold and rainy weather - and with the windows covered with moisture.

Shure, our TRs heating is not the best but it can help you to deal with this situation?

Ciao, Marco

I recently  joined the heater valve  to the pipe at the side of the block with some 1/2 copper tube and the existing hoses.- bypassing the heater matrix entirely. My matrix started leaking about 2 weeks ago when I opened the heater  valve to flush out air after a coolant change. Pulling the dash apart to get at the heater matrix, as you know, is  not a job to start in mid summer's driving season.

To be honest, in Australia I've used the heater in anger  maybe 5 times in 22 years- so repairing the heater matrix is not a high priority.

I leave the heater valve open in case circulation and avoiding cooling "dead legs" is important .

20200120_145649 (2).jpg

Edited by Mike C
57 minutes ago, JochemsTR said:

I really want to use the Rimmer offered plugs....I just need to understand the circulation from engine to head and its return

If it helps I'd expect competition  TR6 engines would have their heaters removed and the ports plugged. Maybe a forum  member that races TR6's can confirm.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:17 AM, Mike C said:

If it helps I'd expect competition  TR6 engines would have their heaters removed and the ports plugged. Maybe a forum  member that races TR6's can confirm.

I can confirm that my race TR6 has no heater. The heater control valve at the back of the cylinder head has a plug and similarly a plug in the back of the water pump housing where the long steel pipe would connect to feed the heater valve.

Dave McD