CV Driveshafts - disappointment

I am no longer the owner of CV Driveshafts, Rimmers took them back and refunded me. They tell me that they had contacted CDD on receipt of my original email, I have no means of checking as I'd contacted CDD at the same time, anyway, the shafts are gone. That left me with c.50yo hubs & stub axles, I decided to go with uprated new ones, hopefully these will be suitably quiet.

shafts.jpg

2 minutes ago, iani said:

I am no longer the owner of CV Driveshafts, Rimmers took them back and refunded me. They tell me that they had contacted CDD on receipt of my original email, I have no means of checking as I'd contacted CDD at the same time, anyway, the shafts are gone. That left me with c.50yo hubs & stub axles, I decided to go with uprated new ones, hopefully these will be suitably quiet.

shafts.jpg

Hi Iani,

whose hubs did you get.?

Roger

Just now, RogerH said:

Hi Iani,

whose hubs did you get.?

Roger

I believe them to be CDD Roger

Hi Ian,

it is indeed disappointing that apparently the control on manufacturing tolerances is such that some are too tight (Bruce reported he had to machine them for a proper fit) and some are too loose.

I think you made the right decision. Are the UJ’s in these uprated items from GNK?

With the new hubs, if you have the ability to measure the clearance, I would do so, but it may not be practically possible (I never did). Rocking the wheel after installation with the wheel off the ground is a coarse but simple way to do this.

Regards,

Waldi

21 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian,

it is indeed disappointing that apparently the control on manufacturing tolerances is such that some are too tight (Bruce reported he had to machine them for a proper fit) and some are too loose.

I think you made the right decision. Are the UJ’s in these uprated items from GNK?

With the new hubs, if you have the ability to measure the clearance, I would do so, but it may not be practically possible (I never did). Rocking the wheel after installation with the wheel off the ground is a coarse but simple way to do this.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

I did not have to machine them as such but had to do the old fashion method of hand fitting which means the use of engineers blue, file and emery cloth. It took about an hour per side but that gave me a slight tight fit on the splines between the male and female. That is why I said that it would be beyond most people including classic  car Garages. But I had the advantage of having served an English Tool making apprenticeship. It came in very useful when I applied for a US L1 Visa on their point scoring system, in my working life.

Bruce. 

41 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian,

Regards,

Waldi

Uprated Hardy Spicer UJ’s apparently, they are unmarked however so who knows.

43 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Waldi,

I did not have to machine them as such but had to do the old fashion method of hand fitting which means the use of engineers blue, file and emery cloth. It took about an hour per side but that gave me a slight tight fit on the splines between the male and female. That is why I said that it would be beyond most people including classic  car Garages. But I had the advantage of having served an English Tool making apprenticeship. It came in very useful when I applied for a US L1 Visa on their point scoring system, in my working life.

Bruce. 

Hi Bruce,

that’s what I thought and meant:)

For a normal car you would not need to do this, certainly not if both parts are from the same supplier. In fact, you were lucky so to say, you could work to minimal clearances and a good fit.

Best regards,

Waldi