Lack of Numbers

Too much political and not enough motoring rhetoric?

one naturally divisive 

one naturally communal. 

just my opinion, you understand. 

seasonal variances?

need more projects like BFG’s engine rebuild. 

Edited by Hamish

A few years ago, another LBC forum had this problem--The "off topic" section had become a cesspool of intolerant ranting.  They ended up creating a special subforum just for controversial or contentious topics like politics, guns, etc.

That move pretty much cleaned up the regular forums, but ironically, the new subforum went largely unused.

I wonder if different versions of the forum software have not reported visitors differently over the years. Even at its peak these forums had around 100 regular visitors and around 20 that would reliably show up every day. Just excluding visits from bots would likely reduce the visitor count.  It is the technical forums that bring the visitors and I would expect the traffic there to reflect the demographics.

I think that there are the same number of messages its just that they are spread over an ever increasing variety of Forums, seems to me new forums every day obviously the facebook form pages have had the biggest effect I would imagine

I'd suggest a sub forum for "Build Diaries" as these provide lots of interest, inspiration and useful info and are a feature of other marque forums and its nice to see progress which often then attracts useful feedback for the restro/project.

As it is there are a few lost in amongst everything else.

Andy

It’s just like any other form of online media... if the treads/topics/replies are predominantly negative people will add to that flavour, if the topics are mostly positive then that will lighten the mood and enhance the experience.

constantly looking back and picking old scabs isn’t gonna brighten the mood

just my tuppence.

...... Andy 

I visit the forum every morning and evening.

Always go to 'TR250/5' then 'General Technical' followed by classified.

Ii don't know if you can join and participate on the forum as a non paying member but for me I'm happy to pay £44 a year to gain access and the publications but the real reward is reading and digesting some of the truly helpful information from genuine passionate and quite knowledgeable members.

It's just a fabulous resource. :D

Edited by MikeThomas
3 hours ago, PodOne said:

I'd suggest a sub forum for "Build Diaries" as these provide lots of interest, inspiration and useful info and are a feature of other marque forums and its nice to see progress which often then attracts useful feedback for the restro/project.

As it is there are a few lost in amongst everything else.

Andy

We've got a sub forum for "Build Diaries" - it's called Owners Blogs - back to main TRR website under Communities.

Dave McD

8 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

We've got a sub forum for "Build Diaries" - it's called Owners Blogs - back to main TRR website under Communities.

Dave McD

Hi Dave 

I tried to start a "blog" there but it was limited to how many pics it would up load or maybe I'm a bit thick when it comes to this. Anyway for what its worth I think it would be better here to bring more people to the forum area.

Andy

10 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Dave 

I tried to start a "blog" there but it was limited to how many pics it would up load or maybe I'm a bit thick when it comes to this. Anyway for what its worth I think it would be better here to bring more people to the forum area.

Andy

The limit on file size is 4mb per image , you can have as many as you like on a page but bear in mind the more images , the longer it takes to load on some slower connections. 

Very occasionally, people hit the server limit on account storage, that's no problem - contact the office and we'll add more for you. 

I don't see a blog for you on the site but happy to advise if you need any more assistance. 

The blogs are good for writing a diary on a rebuild, from your point of view, stage by stage and sharing your story with others - like Panch did: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/author/10114/venkatramanan-panchapakesan 

Forums are much better for Q&A and conversations with multiple contributors to a single thread. But you can add your updates here if you'd like, the option is yours - some people prefer a focused blog and that option is there for them over on the website. 

16 hours ago, foster461 said:

I wonder if different versions of the forum software have not reported visitors differently over the years. Even at its peak these forums had around 100 regular visitors and around 20 that would reliably show up every day. Just excluding visits from bots would likely reduce the visitor count.  It is the technical forums that bring the visitors and I would expect the traffic there to reflect the demographics.

Stan, you are correct - the Forum software has been majorly updated in recent times - now showing closer to actual IPs and accounts online rather than just any old search engine or Bot that happened to pass by. Still not perfect, as there are a lot of 'guests' listed but much more realistic. I could always separate out guests and "unsigned in" accounts from the usage stats, but they would always be lumped together on the display everyone sees at the bottom of the screen. A quirk of the forum software. 

Trust me, there were never 12,000 real physical people signed in on this forum at one time ever, even if the old version of the forum software used to show that! 

In real terms - the Forum has remained pretty static in user numbers and activity over the past year or so. That is a turn-around  after an on-going steep decline seen over a number of years previously (which I had presented at AGMs in the past) and I would put that turn around down, in the most part, to the positive awareness that John Morrisson and the moderator team are building through their articles in TR Action and general promotion of the better aspects of the Forum community to the wider club. There is always an increase is traffic through the Spring and Summer months and I expect that will be larger this year thanks to John's efforts so we should start seeing growth again. 

I moved elsewhere for intelligent discussions with fellow Triumph enthusiasts. A thread on carbon offsetting is  running at present:

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8722-carbon-offsets/

Peter